I'm getting tired of cleaning up replies to ads in the Classifieds...

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm getting tired of cleaning up replies to ads in the Classifieds...

Post by admin »

The classifieds are NOT discussion forums. If you have a question for the seller that's related to the ad that would benefit others (ie, "What caliber is it?" or "Is the holster RH or LH?"), then you can post it. Or if you're going to buy it and want to post an "I'll take it". Anything else, PM the seller. Classifieds are NOT discussion forums. Please refrain from the comments like, "cool gun".

Thanks.

At some point, I'm just going to start doling out 7-day timeouts, as I'm getting tired of spending my time cleaning up all the comments and replies to the comments in classifieds ads.

UPDATE: Once a user reaches 3 warnings on their account (doesn't matter the reason), that user will automatically get a 7-day site time-out.

smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: I'm getting tired of cleaning up replies to ads in the Classifieds...

Post by smithers599 »

Guilty!
When I saw the ad for the .45/70 revolver, I couldn't help myself. I had to comment on what an extraordinarily cool gun it is. Same with the presentation Arizona Peacemaker. Beautiful gun.
However, I get it. From now on, I will endeavor to follow Archie's advice to Edith, and stifle myself.

Maybe I should start a new thread in the Firearms Discussion Forum: "Cool Guns of the Classifieds."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem arises when someone comments innocently on what a cool gun something is, or what a deal it is - and then someone comments on THAT comment and it devolves from there until banter and comments negatively impact the sale thread and it gets reported. Further, it just bumps the thread continuously.
It's best just to draw the line where the ToS and CoC stipulate what's OK for classifieds and what's not.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Yea i am guilty as well. Guess was feeling comfortable with the crowd here and never made negative comments. However I will stop although most of the discussions have been good and informative.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep. There are discussion threads and topics for "discussions". Classifieds are not for "discussion".

Thanks!
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

100%, 10-4, absolutely, thank you Admin.

admin wrote: May 9th, 2022, 3:04 pm Yep. There are discussion threads and topics for "discussions". Classifieds are not for "discussion".

Thanks!
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

OK, but am I the only one who knows who Archie and Edith are? ;-)
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

smithers599 wrote: May 9th, 2022, 6:18 pm OK, but am I the only one who knows who Archie and Edith are? ;-)
Yes... You are that old... Meathead... 8-)
samnev

Post by samnev »

I faintly remember ALL In The Family. Mostly from reruns after the show went off the air. Never see the kind of show in today Woken :angry-cussingblack: society.
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

Totally agree with Admin. If you're not responding to the ad or asking a question about the item, don't post.
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

admin wrote: May 9th, 2022, 12:27 pm The classifieds are NOT discussion forums. If you have a question for the seller that's related to the ad that would benefit others (ie, "What caliber is it?" or "Is the holster RH or LH?"), then you can post it. Or if you're going to buy it and want to post an "I'll take it". Anything else, PM the seller. Classifieds are NOT discussion forums. Please refrain from the comments like, "cool gun".

Thanks.

At some point, I'm just going to start doling out 7-day timeouts, as I'm getting tired of spending my time cleaning up all the comments and replies to the comments in classifieds ads.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

ok, I got a warning, but I don't see the big deal about conversations that are tied to the OP.

I will play by the rules, but don't see it as harming or taking away from anything. oh well...
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

cool arrow wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 12:42 pm ok, I got a warning, but I don't see the big deal about conversations that are tied to the OP.

I will play by the rules, but don't see it as harming or taking away from anything. oh well...
You sir are on borrowed time here, let that be a warning, :o :lol:

Rj
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

knockonit wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 12:46 pm
cool arrow wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 12:42 pm ok, I got a warning, but I don't see the big deal about conversations that are tied to the OP.

You sir are on borrowed time here, let that be a warning, :o :lol:

Rj
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Because a line has to be drawn somewhere, and that's the easiest place to do it.

While your "I wish I could buy that" comment may not be a big deal in and of itself, then along comes someone else who comments on your comment, like "well, sell your X gun to buy it" or "stop spending money on X item" and pretty soon there is a back-and-forth that not only has NOTHING to do with the ad, but it bumps it to the top every single time.

That's not hypothetical - it's happened several times and in a few cases started including arguments, etc. Classified ads are not the place for discussions.

Thus, the line has been drawn - it's always been there, in fact in the ToS - and will be enforced to avoid having to deal with more crap and complaints in ads. My time saved from moderating is more valuable than a few people being able to post "cool gun, dude" in a classified ad.