Armslist Commits Suicide

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Armslist Commits Suicide

Post by Boriqua »

Rock Hardson wrote: November 7th, 2020, 10:50 am $1 a month fee will not keep the scammers away. LOL
Yea but the scammers ads are pretty obvious. If they want to kick in a buck to support a replacement for armslist ... more power to them. I think most of us here while cruising Armslist knew which were the BS ads pretty quickly?

knockonit

Post by knockonit »

gotta say for me no loss, as i rarely sell, and i did review this joint once, and it was not appealing in any sense of the word for gun sales for me again.
hopefully they square away or another venue pops up to serve the purpose, perhaps a ingenious individual from this site could put something up, of course it would take time to evolve :whistle:
Rj
1down
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 1down »

I use arslist (no backspace and no letter no 14 in the alphabet on keboard). I like arlist.
birdleggs1

Post by birdleggs1 »

??? Am I the only one that doesn’t understand what 1Down is talking about?
Basher

Post by Basher »

birdleggs1 wrote: November 19th, 2020, 8:04 am ??? Am I the only one that doesn’t understand what 1Down is talking about?
Seems he’s unable to correct typing errors because backspace button doesn’t work, and he’s also missing the 14th letter of the alphabet (which is “m”), hence “arslist.” :lol:
Heominhon

Post by Heominhon »

I must confess the death of armlist lead me here to this wonderful forum, oh I miss backpages.
dsotm

Post by dsotm »

Just encountered this yesterday, found a gun I wanted to buy but I'm not paying a subscription just to be able to message a seller. Don't even know if the gun has sold or not because the posting is > 1 month old. Oh well.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Is there an up-side to Armslist's change in policy that I don't see? Are they gambling that the newly sought after revenue will out weigh the loss in overall business? The only thing I see saving them a little is the fact that now people are starting to put better contact info in their ads so an interested party doesn't have to pay and sign in to contact them with questions or offers.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 6:10 pm Is there an up-side to Armslist's change in policy that I don't see? Are they gambling that the newly sought after revenue will out weigh the loss in overall business? The only thing I see saving them a little is the fact that now people are starting to put better contact info in their ads so an interested party doesn't have to pay and sign in to contact them with questions or offers.
I can't see a single upside. If they really wanted to clean up the site from scammers, they could have implemented a rating system on the accounts so you know the reputation and account age of the person you're dealing with. If they wanted to rake in some more money, making EVERYONE pay was not the right approach.

If they had cleaned up the site from scammers, I would have happily paid a low monthly cost for a seller account to be able to post. But, making people pay to even respond to an ad for something they don't know is still available or not is completely asinine. That's why it definitely was suicide.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

It's been a few years since I used it, but was sad to see it go that direction. There's plenty of other options that wouldn't have tanked it. It wasn't the best place, but I found some screening deals in the past.
BlastWind

Post by BlastWind »

Wow, just noticed that you can't even reply, without paying. Forget all that noise.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I have a couple of listings on Armslist that were posted before the great suicide. It's all sold now, but I can't even remove my posts without paying. Meanwhile, I still have people emailing me to ask about availability. So, now they have ads like mine clogging up the site and bringing despair to few people that went along with actually paying. If you thought the response rate was bad before, it has to be downright depressing now.

It was an all-around poorly thought out plan. It seems like they got too focused on the money to even think straight.
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

At least they still allow phone numbers and email addresses in the ad copy. Plenty of people have that info in their ads, so there's no need to pay Armslist. I can't imagine that will last forever. But it's still ok for now.
Norinco

Post by Norinco »

I never understood why the scammers hit that site so hard? Who would fall for any of that. Armslist is still one of the most active gun trade sites left. All other sites I have tried sense Backpage’s death are maybe 100-300 guys looking on there or just terribly toxic 1,000+ guys like AKfiles. I feel gunbroker is now the only real option to get top dollar for you weapons. I guess I will have to wait and see what this site is like. You can’t even see the market after signing up so that’s a terrible sign imo.
shntucson

Post by shntucson »

AZ_Five56 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:56 am I have a couple of listings on Armslist that were posted before the great suicide. It's all sold now, but I can't even remove my posts without paying. Meanwhile, I still have people emailing me to ask about availability. So, now they have ads like mine clogging up the site and bringing despair to few people that went along with actually paying. If you thought the response rate was bad before, it has to be downright depressing now.

It was an all-around poorly thought out plan. It seems like they got too focused on the money to even think straight.
If you still have the email confirming your ad on Armslist, try clicking on the link to your ad and you should be able to edit/delete the information.