Who the hell shut off arizonashooting.com

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Elheffe
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Who the hell shut off arizonashooting.com

Post by Elheffe »

That’s f*** up

Basher

Re: Who the hell s*** off arizonashootong.com

Post by Basher »

Uh... do you mean "shut off," by chance?
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Or maybe he means s*** on?
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

so many ways to go here, maybe he meant shooting?
Last edited by Pro2a on May 20th, 2018, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Nope, just checked...no shootong.com either...Guess we'll just have to wait for "the boss" to come back
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

I agree that just pulling the plug with no notice on the old AZS was lame. That is what happens when it is, "free' I guess. Now we have this site and the new "zone" site as well.
BroncoAZ
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by BroncoAZ »

So be it, the old site was corrupt with backpage losers anyway.
Razai

Post by Razai »

From what little I gathered by snooping around online, the issue was with the former hosting site, which suddenly stopped providing service for AZS. They did the same to a few other Pro2A sites per snippets on the radio, so it makes sense.
Glad to have the site back either way.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Which host?
John Kuhns

Post by John Kuhns »

I thought the host was GoDaddy? And didn't I read on the ARFcom thread one of the issues was a bunch of servers had gone T/U and that someone had spoken with danthony about it; that it would be back?

Personally, I got the impression Brad simply lost interest. No upgrades were being done, no cleanup of the user database, etc. I looked at the *user* list. That was a mess and should have been cleaned up. I think it was down to less than a dozen of us posting on a regular basis. The influx of new users was simply to get access to the classifieds.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Razai wrote: May 20th, 2018, 10:01 am From what little I gathered by snooping around online, the issue was with the former hosting site, which suddenly stopped providing service for AZS. They did the same to a few other Pro2A sites per snippets on the radio, so it makes sense.
Glad to have the site back either way.
No, they had DB corruption. As to why they don't have backups they could just revert to, who knows?

Frankly, when I transferred ownership of the site to [Brad], I thought he had the best intentions to continue running the site and make improvements which I didn't have the time to do (hence divesting myself of the site). No updates were done on it, per what I saw, and everything from the DB, to the forum software, etc, was severely out of date and without updates, it was only a matter of time before the site would be hacked or suffer a catastrophic failure. He monetized the site with Google ads (which I had not done) and when Google made policy changes for advertising on related sites many years ago, I'd imagine that he largely lost interest in dedicating time and effort to running, improving and maintaining the site since he lost what little financial incentive he had. This is all speculation based on anecdotal evidence, though - other than the site being down because of database corruption that isn't recoverable.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John Kuhns wrote: May 20th, 2018, 4:57 pm I thought the host was GoDaddy? And didn't I read on the ARFcom thread one of the issues was a bunch of servers had gone T/U and that someone had spoken with danthony about it; that it would be back?

Personally, I got the impression Brad simply lost interest. No upgrades were being done, no cleanup of the user database, etc. I looked at the *user* list. That was a mess and should have been cleaned up. I think it was down to less than a dozen of us posting on a regular basis. The influx of new users was simply to get access to the classifieds.
I'd agree with that, based on what I have heard and seen posted by those in the know.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

If it was a money issue he should start a donation page or a gofundme
I'm sure everyone would help out
samnev

Post by samnev »

Really happy this site is up and running.
John Kuhns

Post by John Kuhns »

Running a decent forum isn't as easy as some people think. Way back in the day before the explosion of the Internet there was a thing called a BBS and then various "Nets" including FidoNet, Freedoms Net, Adult Net and I can't remember how many. I was a member of several of them and carried them all on my BBS. It was a PITA, especially a multinode system like I was running. Software updates, nightly maintenance, on-line games that updates always seemed to make inoperable, etc. The add in the small segment of users asking what did they have to do to get access to the adult section, blah blah blah. I ran a great board, had several hundred users, was a mail hub for several other nodes, etc. But it just took time and then as the Internet started to get popular the visitors dropped rapidly. It wasn't too long about the year 2000 when I finally shut down for good.