ATF Issues Cease and Desist Order

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
A_C Guy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

ATF Issues Cease and Desist Order

Post by A_C Guy »

Not sure if this is a dupe. Was posted on AR15.com today:
Dear Customer:

On August 3rd, 2020, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) issued Q® a formal Cease & Desist letter, notifying us that ATF has taken the position that the Q Honey Badger Pistol is a short-barreled rifle (“SBR”) regulated under the National Firearms Act (“NFA”). In response, Q has ceased all production of the Honey Badger Pistol, and submitted a comprehensive letter to ATF and the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) stating why we disagree with this classification[1]. Additionally, we have provided recommendations on how to address the firearms already in circulation. Q is seeking solutions that best protect you, the individual, and Q’s distribution network from falling out of compliance with ATF regulations, and federal law. At this time, Q has not received any definitive guidance from the ATF.

In the meantime, Q encourages possessors of the Honey Badger Pistol to take these proactive measures until a resolution is reached between Q and ATF.

Complete one of the following:

Remove the barreled upper receiver from the lower receiver and dedicate it as a replacement
for another AR-style pistol or registered short-barreled rifle; or

If you do not possess another AR-style pistol or registered short-barreled rifle, remove the barreled upper receiver from the lower receiver and temporarily transfer it out of your possession by, for example, transferring it to the dominion and control of another individual; and

Once the previous step is completed, you may file an ATF Form 1 to register the lower receiver as a short-barreled rifle. Upon Form 1 approval, the firearm may be reassembled.

Failure to complete option a or option b could result in prosecution and is subject to a $10,000.00 fine and up to 10 years imprisonment.

If you are concerned with this situation - as Q is - we urge you to contact the Department of Justice (ATF’s parent agency) by using the below OneClickPolitics link.

ONECLICK LINK

Additionally, we encourage you to reach out to the White House and ask President Trump to halt and rollback ATF’s efforts to issue arbitrary and capricious decisions affecting millions of legal gun owners.
White House Comment Line:
(202) 456-1111 / Email

Residents from the following states and districts should reach out to their congressional representatives to let them know what they think of ATF’s actions:
Kentucky - Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R) - https://www.mcconnell.senate.gov/public/
(202) 224-2541 / Email

Alabama – Sen. Richard Shelby (R) - Chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriations and oversees funding of DOJ/ATF. https://www.shelby.senate.gov/public/
(202) 224-5744 / Email

Kansas – Sen. Jerry Moran (R) – Chairman of the Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies (CJS) which is responsible for funding the ATF.
(202) 224-6521 / Email

South Carolina – Sen. Lindsey Graham (R) – Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is responsible for ATF oversight.
(202) 224-5972 / Email

Ohio 4th District - Congressman Jim Jordan (R) – Ranking member on the House Judiciary Committee which has jurisdiction over 2nd amendment issues. https://jordan.house.gov/
(202) 225-2676 / Email

If you are not from one these States, you can find your representative’s contact information here: https://www.contactingcongress.org/

Q takes extreme care to remain in compliance with federal law, and we share your frustration with this development. We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that we, in conjunction with SB Tactical® and the National Rifle Association (NRA®), are doing everything in our power to resolve this matter amicably for all parties involved.

Regards,

Adam Johnson, CEO

[1] Neither statements by Q, LLC nor the linked Wiley letter constitute legal advice or may be relied upon as stating a legal opinion regarding the proper treatment of the Honey Badger. Wiley is acting as counsel for Q, LLC in advocating to the ATF that ATF has misapplied the law. Unless and until it is changed, the ATF’s position is that the Honey Badger Pistol is a short-barreled rifle regulated under the National Firearms Act.

A_C Guy

Re: ATF Issues Cease and Desist Order

Post by A_C Guy »

Of course, the obvious question is,"What is stopping them from re-classifying ALL AR pistols as SBRs?"
Is this any different from re-classifying the bump stocks?
You are supposed to give half of a thousand dollar pistol to a friend for safe keeping?
What if you have no friends? ;)
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

The One Click Link mentioned in the OP:

https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/9840
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A_C Guy wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:03 pm Of course, the obvious question is,"What is stopping them from re-classifying ALL AR pistols as SBRs?"
Is this any different from re-classifying the bump stocks?
You are supposed to give half of a thousand dollar pistol to a friend for safe keeping?
What if you have no friends? ;)
Well, the Honey Badger's brace is a unit custom made for them by SB Tactical. It is exclusive to them and no one else has it. Q also sells the Sugar Weasel, which is a nearly identical version of the Honey Badger, but with SB Tactical's SBA3 brace, rather than the custom one on the Honey Badger. So the real question is how does the brace differ from other SB Tactical braces to the point that ONLY the Honey Badger has been reclassified, and not the Sugar Weasel?

tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Suck My Glock wrote: October 6th, 2020, 7:17 pm So the real question is how does the brace differ from other SB Tactical braces to the point that ONLY the Honey Badger has been reclassified, and not the Sugar Weasel?
For now at least. ATF said Q needs to send them a Sugar Weasel as well to review. Potentially a precursor to a harsher ruling on pistol braces?
Pima Pants
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Pima Pants »

This is the first time I have seen these pistols. My question is, how did people ever consider these to be arm braces, like many others on the market now? These look like stocks to me. On the Honey Badger, where does the shooter's arm slide into the brace? Same with the the Sugar Weasel. I see it has a velcro-looking strap on it but I can't see where a person's forearm would slide in. I think the company may have been playing fast and loose with BATF's definition of a pistol brace. What am I missing here?
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Pima Pants wrote: October 6th, 2020, 8:45 pm This is the first time I have seen these pistols. My question is, how did people ever consider these to be arm braces, like many others on the market now? These look like stocks to me. On the Honey Badger, where does the shooter's arm slide into the brace? Same with the the Sugar Weasel. I see it has a velcro-looking strap on it but I can't see where a person's forearm would slide in. I think the company may have been playing fast and loose with BATF's definition of a pistol brace. What am I missing here?
The brace is flexible and allows the arm to be slid through to grasp the pistol grip, allowing the gun to be fire single handed.

ATF originally said they could be shoulder fired.. then they couldn’t... and then they could; even though it wasn’t intended to be done as such when designed.

These are just more arbitrary rules crafted by unelected officials who change their position every couple months on some type of ruling, showing exactly how bogus they are as a whole.

The whole thing between AR Pistols and SBRs is ridiculous. Should be able to have either without issue.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

The premium on the braces over similar function rifle stocks will cover at least half the cost of the stamp. The eform Form 1 is easy and they typically approve pretty quick. Why even mess around with these things?
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Less hassle when crossing state lines among a variety of other reasons.

Plus ANOTHER tax, on top of the sales tax paid when buying the firearm with taxed wages paid by a taxed company who provided a product/service that somebody else paid for, including tax, with their taxed income and so on.

It shouldn’t be there to begin with.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

With a secure conservative majority on the USSC, it will be time to challenge both the NFA and GCA of 68.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

IMO the answer is... paperwork=registration
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

AZ1182 wrote: October 6th, 2020, 11:27 pm
tlieberman240 wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:56 pm Less hassle when crossing state lines among a variety of other reasons.

All state lines? Are you positively 100% percent sure of of pluralizing that statement?
Obviously not all state lines. I can’t bring to CA, for instance.

But I can bring to Nevada, without requesting approval in advance.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

IMO the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!!! Period, end of decussion.

Any questions?