ATF Issues Cease and Desist Order

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Rock Hardson
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: ATF Issues Cease and Desist Order

Post by Rock Hardson »

TheAccountant wrote: October 12th, 2020, 8:25 am I'm glad I did so I'm not at the mercy of the ATF's regulations.
Pays $200 tax on a highly regulated item by the ATF.
Man, the irony

TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Rock Hardson wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:22 pm
TheAccountant wrote: October 12th, 2020, 8:25 am I'm glad I did so I'm not at the mercy of the ATF's regulations.
Man, the irony
I already conceded the point. Spending $250 on a brace that sucks as a stock and then whining like a 3 year old on the internet is the better option. We're in agreement.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

TheAccountant wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:01 pm
Rock Hardson wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Man, the irony
I already conceded the point. Spending $250 on a brace that sucks as a stock and then whining like a 3 year old on the internet is the better option. We're in agreement.
I think The Accountant has valid points. I myself own several SBR's and braced pistols. For me, and I think a majority of the firearm-owning public, waiting 8-14 months for an SBR approval is absolutely ridiculous. There is nothing that takes that long...try not paying your taxes on time...the IRS is on you like a fat kid on cake. However, when you need something from them, they are in no hurry...surprise.

Braces fill the need for immediate gratification. Buy it, install it, done....only takes as long as shipping or the drive home. It's not about the money spent. Every brace I have costs more than a tax stamp. However, factor in the cost of a stock and a stamp, and you can reach $300-$400+ quickly.

I recently picked up a PTR MP5 clone, pistol variant. Installed a SB Tactical folding brace the same day, zero wait. I will also be submitting an E-Form 1 later this month. I'll wait the 30-ish days for the stamp (how ALL Form 4's should take, BTW) and then I'll buy a stock, engrave it, sell the brace.

The tax stamp money isn't the issue driving the massive popularity of pistol braces...it's the insanely/arbitrarily long wait for the ATF/FBI to get off their ass and approve forms.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Agreed. There's no way it should take 10x longer for them to approve Form 4 vs Form 1.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

their prices will skyrocket now, since the existing units will most likely be grandfathered in.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I wonder for a moment if this might not be a good opportunity to offer an amnesty.

Think about it;...after having caused so much contradictory and confusing "guidance" on braces for so many years, and so many tens of thousands of pistols have been sold and outfitted with them,...perhaps ATF might decide to offer to register them for free. That would perhaps avoid some entangling suits that would be likely to result in redefining braced pistols as SBRs. Such an amnesty might be limited to ONLY braced pistols and SBRs,...but it would be a good opportunity to also run a general NFA amnesty across the spectrum.

Yeah, maybe I'm just blowing smoke out of my azz. But maybe,.....
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

WOW, talk about taking your eye off the ball.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Suck My Glock wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm I wonder for a moment if this might not be a good opportunity to offer an amnesty.

Think about it;...after having caused so much contradictory and confusing "guidance" on braces for so many years, and so many tens of thousands of pistols have been sold and outfitted with them,...perhaps ATF might decide to offer to register them for free. That would perhaps avoid some entangling suits that would be likely to result in redefining braced pistols as SBRs. Such an amnesty might be limited to ONLY braced pistols and SBRs,...but it would be a good opportunity to also run a general NFA amnesty across the spectrum.

This is exactly the Biden-Harris-Giffords plan. "Amnesty" registrations for all "assault" weapons.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

the key word is "registration"
no thank you...
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Harrier wrote: October 15th, 2020, 5:50 am "registration"

no thank you...
Yep
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Suck My Glock wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm I wonder for a moment if this might not be a good opportunity to offer an amnesty.

Then it would take 5years for a Form 1 to be completed