What's up with these gunbroker prices

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Maestro
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What's up with these gunbroker prices

Post by Maestro »

A couple of those have multiple bids. One of them, the seller has a few other items for sale that seem more reasonably priced, which makes me wonder if there is just something unique about the item that gives it that starting price.

Mostly, all I can say is if people are willing to pay it, then that is what it is worth. Like that "painting" of a single red line across a white canvas that went for $3 million. While I would never pay that, somebody will, so that is what it is worth.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

My nephew currently has a FAL up for sale. He put it up for about $100 more than what its worth. He said he waits for the lowballers to make unreasonable offers and the buyers that want to trade ammo for the gun even tho he states plainly he is not looking for trades. He said eventually someone will make the offer he is looking for within 3-4 weeks of his advertising it.

I don’t know what the going prices are like for arms like this. But I can tell you for the types of firearms I am searching for it is usually much better to look locally at the LGS and pawn shops.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Picked up an Arsenal 107FR the other day at J&G the other day. Paid a bit more than normal but still a fair price for an Arsenal.

You know what they say about fools and their money.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

When you see bidding that drives 9mm RN selling for over $1000 for a 1000 round case, nothing is surprising.

I spoke to a guy about a pistol last month that I thought was over priced based upon what I had seen a month earlier. He was pleasant and acknowledged the price was higher but his cost had gone up and he wouldn't go lower, but thanks for asking. 2 weeks later, his pistol was sold for $200 more than his starting bid.

This is the new norm.
Forget about ever seeing 9mm for .12/round again.
Rifle and pistol prices have reached a new level of higher pricing that won't go down. This isn't just AR15 EBR panic buying, this is across the board consumer demand. EVERY centerfire round is either in limited supply or on back order. Even the obscure magnum rifle cartridges are affected. They use the same primers, powders, brass material, copper/ lead materials, etc and are either not being produced so the manufacturers can keep pumping out other more popular cartridges or they are now $3 or $4 or $5 per round.

.338 Lapua loaded ammo isn't such a bad deal at $4 per round when .300 Win Mag is $3.5 per round

Most of us are having troubling admitting that there is a significant short going on and material costs have gone up so wholesale prices are up AND retail demand is still higher than ever. Look at the number of NICS checks (record numbers every month for 6 months straight)
People waiting in line at Cabela's or Sportsmans' Warehouse for 2 hours to even look at what is left in stock.

Another lockdown next week will only perpetuate the situation.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

My understanding is that deficit spending leads to inflation. The recent government spending related to the Chinese flu thing will result in higher prices for everything.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

pvreb wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 9:46 am My understanding is that deficit spending leads to inflation. The recent government spending related to the Chinese flu thing will result in higher prices for everything.
maybe, but the DROVE of gun buyers, new and old, is creating a lack of supply which is driving prices up much like when Obummer was in office.
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

I think it is prices in general that are up. I don’t see any improvement on them until after the election. It seems like the elections make more of a difference in price than anything else. People panic into buying whatever they can get their hands on, hence $1k for 1k 9mms.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Just like with the last shortage/panic the shortages and the panic will eventually end and prices will come back down. But don’t expect the prices to be the same as pre panic prices. Just make sure when they do start to come back down that you stock up and have enough for yourself because in 4 years (or less) there may be another shortage.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Everyone better hope Pedo Joe doesn't somehow win or all hell is going to break loose, and the next four years will be impossible for most gun owners that didn't REALLY stock up. Everything will be in short supply and prices will be through the roof.
AstonMiura

Post by AstonMiura »

The reason for the post was because I was checking the prices of some guns I have and rarely use. This is crazy https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875096617
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Simply supply and demand economics.

No supply + high demand = crazy prices.

During the Sandy Hook buying craze, I bought two cases of PMags (200 magazines) the day it happened. In the following month, I sold every magazine on Backpage for $80 -$150 per mag. I also sold an Arsenal on GB for $3,600 (I had just bought it the week prior for $1,300).

I am more than willing to take advantage of stupidity. Buy low, sell high...#1 rule of investing.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

AstonMiura wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:10 pm The reason for the post was because I was checking the prices of some guns I have and rarely use. This is crazy https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875096617
You should sell some of your guns. You should be able to buy a house at those prices.
rbt50

Post by rbt50 »

some people have more money then brains.
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

Between covid, the riots and the election, its the perfect storm for gun availability and price increases.