Man sought out people selling online to steal their guns

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Man sought out people selling online to steal their guns

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/07 ... tole-guns/

LYNCHBURG, Va. – A Lynchburg man is in jail after police said he stole several guns by responding to people selling guns online and asking them to move the sale to a more remote location before stealing the guns from them.

18-year-old Fabian James is charged with:

1 count of Attempted Grand Larceny (Firearm)
1 count of Grand Larceny (Firearm)
2 counts of Possession of a Firearm by Violent Convicted Felon

The string of gun thefts happened in June and July, according to the Lynchburg Police Department.

On June 29, James arranged to buy a gun at a 7-11 store on Fort Avenue but changed the location and then stole two semi-automatic pistols from the victim, according to Lynchburg police.

On July 11, James arranged to buy a gun at James Crossing Apartments, but James “coaxed” the victim away from the original location and tried to steal a semi-automatic rifle, according to Lynchburg police.

Police said in the July 11 incident, the victim chased James and recovered the rifle while James ran away into the woods.

The Lynchburg Police Department reminded all citizens to be cautious when selling or buying items online and to do so in a well-lit, public place that has video security cameras in place.

James is being held without bond at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail.

Vyadmirer

Re: Man sought out people selling online to steal their guns

Post by Vyadmirer »

Dang that’s sketchy. This guy is why we can’t have nice things
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yeah, or just stupid sellers, shame when greed makes you stupid
thom

Post by thom »

As crazy as it sounds, I have met some buyers at the tempe police parking lot. I just went inside prior to let them know what I was doing. Some other buyers didn't show up.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

This is why I only buy used stuff here. We have a pretty good community of people and you learn who you can deal with. I like the reputation system of the new site even if some of the old timers from the previous site can't figure out how to use it. Haha.

Thom's recommendation for using the police station is a good option. Most police stations are a good place to handle a variety of deals. Especially to good to be true or deals that are just smoking. They have camera's for every angle now(To grab facial pics and license plates) and many are happy to run the vin or the serial number to check stolen property. Example: Bicycle theft is a big deal and they are more than happy to run the serial number of a $3,000 mountain bike you're buying for $1,800 against the stolen property database for you. Legitimate buyers and sellers after you explain why you choose the Police Station will also appreciate it. The people who get weird are not people you want to deal with anyway.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

:shifty: Faabiiaann :whistle:
thom

Post by thom »

Wait. Whut? You had me meet you behind Devi Le Fay Mind, Body and Soul massage parlor...but I'll admit, it was nice you introduced me to all the girls. :lol:
Yes But I had to drive to A.J. And you paid for my massage afterward. haha
gunsnboobs

Post by gunsnboobs »

Well obviously everyone missed the name of the town..."Lynch"burg? geezzz
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

DRTDIVR wrote: July 24th, 2020, 9:35 am and many are happy to run the vin or the serial number to check stolen property.
Wait wait, do you have personal experience with this?
I put this very same question up quite a number of months ago, and most of the the "definite opinions" were that police stations don't have the time, and won't run numbers for any tom dick or harry that walk in. The flip side to all this is that every stolen gun isn't reported.
samnev

Post by samnev »

DRTDIVR wrote: July 24th, 2020, 9:35 am This is why I only buy used stuff here. We have a pretty good community of people and you learn who you can deal with. I like the reputation system of the new site even if some of the old timers from the previous site can't figure out how to use it. Haha.

Thom's recommendation for using the police station is a good option. Most police stations are a good place to handle a variety of deals. Especially to good to be true or deals that are just smoking. They have camera's for every angle now(To grab facial pics and license plates) and many are happy to run the vin or the serial number to check stolen property. Example: Bicycle theft is a big deal and they are more than happy to run the serial number of a $3,000 mountain bike you're buying for $1,800 against the stolen property database for you. Legitimate buyers and sellers after you explain why you choose the Police Station will also appreciate it. The people who get weird are not people you want to deal with anyway.
In a similar vain I only bought and sold guns to people on the old arizonashooting .com
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Pro2a wrote: July 25th, 2020, 4:51 am
DRTDIVR wrote: July 24th, 2020, 9:35 am and many are happy to run the vin or the serial number to check stolen property.
Wait wait, do you have personal experience with this?
I put this very same question up quite a number of months ago, and most of the the "definite opinions" were that police stations don't have the time, and won't run numbers for any tom dick or harry that walk in. The flip side to all this is that every stolen gun isn't reported.
I belong to a cycling group as well and someone said Tempe PD ran the serial number of the $3,000+ mountain bike he was buying to make sure it's not on the stolen bicycle registry. I don't buy used high dollar stuff from random people and have never had a need. With police trying to fix public perception it would be smart to help a tax paying citizen avoid buying stolen property and capture the thief.
BlastWind

Post by BlastWind »

Dude is 18 and already was a felon. WtF
birdleggs1

Post by birdleggs1 »

thom wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:23 am As crazy as it sounds, I have met some buyers at the tempe police parking lot. I just went inside prior to let them know what I was doing. Some other buyers didn't show up.
Have you ever run into resistance from the LEO doing this?
thom

Post by thom »

Not at all. I just walked in and asked at the desk(before the Chinese flu).
Taserface

Post by Taserface »

Never sell your guns next to the woods.