ATF doing shady stuff with pistol braces again

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
YNOTAZ
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: ATF doing shady stuff with pistol braces again

Post by YNOTAZ »

Az desert rat 1 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 10:59 am I agree the ATF is wrong in doing this. The brace is an accessory that helps stabilize the pistol and improve the accuracy of it. It makes contract with the lower arm, not the shoulder, so it's not a stock. If this goes through what next? Muzzle brakes /compensators? They also improve accuracy and stability of a firearm. I'm glad to see that there's still some Congressmen that stand up for our rights.
Binary triggers, then flash hiders.

delta6

Post by delta6 »

This issue needs to be resolved in Congress and the Republicans had the chance in Trump's first 2 years, but not enough of them had the stomach for it.

The problem, which most don't like to hear when it comes to the BATFE, on this and many other firearms issues, where interpretation of existing law is the core, is the issue does not revolve around the BATFE but the power given to all agencies to interpret the regulations and it is called the Auer deference, named after the Supreme Court's ruling in Auer v. Robbins, 519 U.S. 452 (1997). [https://www.lexisnexis.com/community/ca ... -v-robbins]

Due to the Auer deference, the same BATFE that gave us the ruling (that we liked) on "braces" is the same BATFE that can change its ruling (that we probably wont like) and take the "braces" away.

Sadly, until Congress passes legislation, that curtails the ability of unelected bureaucrats to tell us what they think the law says, gun regulations will be open to arbitrary interpretation.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Agreed, our feckless congress has ceded huge amounts of authority to the president and agencies because the don't want to be faulted for doing their job and not pleasing everybody. Obama took great advantage of this with all his Czars who wrote thousands of regulations covering just about everything.

Curtailing firearms regulations, reducing them, rolling them back, or eliminating the ATF is like the third rail of politics. The emotional response of our citizens would kill the author of such blaspheme. Even gun owners, Fudds, will shout about no need for "assault weapons", high capacity "clips", semi-automatic machineguns, cop killer bullets, etc., just leave our duck and squirrel hunting alone.

In my opinion, the best we can hope for is a Trump second term and somewhere in the mix of rolling back the crap that politicians have slung at all citizens for the past 50 years there will be some common sense removal of draconian gun laws that only constrain the law abiding.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

AZ1182 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 12:50 pm No you didn't, you picked a fight. Go read his post slowly and pause where he said that although he dislikes them, he supports those that do want them.
I was speaking in hyperbole. You can't pick up my intonation through text.

In short. The atf shouldn't exist and we shouldn't be playing mother may with our rights.

Anytime you want to be left alone, the man has to come f*** with you.

They already ruled on this, now they want to go back and change what they said.

Live and let live would be if they really wanted to be helpful would be to create a site, allow you to complete online, pay the fee to the king and be on your way.

I wasn't picking a fight. My name isn't elk1234 whatever it is.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

XJThrottle wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:30 pm For f#cks sake. Get back to the OP... All I said was I don't like braces, and haters rolled in.
My bad and please accept my apologies. I was pissed off about another issue and you ended up catching a bit of that.

It's totally fine for people to not like them. More people would be apt to do the NFA dance if it wasn't a complete s*** show of confusion and paperwork.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

The process is easy. Go to the efile website and fill out the necessary stuff, press go. I understand not wanting to spend the $200, but the ATF end of it shouldn't stop anyone. As previously stated, I've had stamps back in as few as 11 days. The longest one took just over 3 weeks.

I actually have two of the blade type braces and a knurled pistol tube. They just happened to come with other components I was really after. I will happily sell/trade them cheap..case of beer..bottle of booze..cheap
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

AZ1182 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 12:50 pm
No you didn't, you picked a fight. Go read his post slowly and pause where he said that although he dislikes them, he supports those that do want them.

Then go read where he communicated that he doesn't mind paying to get what he wants. He never mentioned that you should do it too. Big difference in live and let live, Aren't you L's supposed to be all about live and let live? Not giving a darn if he pays for it and doesn't want you guys restricted is literally live and let living, my friend.
Hey just to clarify as I responded towards the end and I don't know if you saw this. I was a bit heavy handed with my words. This was my fault. Please accept my apologies.

I was mad at a separate issue and not so much as to what he was saying.