ATF doing shady stuff with pistol braces again

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Cubiclerevolt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

ATF doing shady stuff with pistol braces again

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

https://gaetz.house.gov/media/hottakesp ... race-usage

June 16, 2020 Hot Takes Press Room
Congressman Matt Gaetz announced today on his podcast the ATF is crafting secret rules restricting the possession of certain pistol braces by American citizens, and that he has sent them a letter demanding they stop.

"We understand that ATF is currently considering restricting one arm brace model owned by over 700,000 Americans," Congressman Gaetz writes along with six other members of Congress. "We strongly urge ATF to cease taking any actions and reconsider or rescind any secret determinations which call into question the legality of firearms owned by millions of law-abiding Americans."

“There is always a need to vindicate our Second Amendment rights,” Gaetz says on his podcast, "Hot Takes with Matt Gaetz."

He explains that even during very conservative administrations, like President Trump’s, some do “try to make it more difficult to acquire things that shooters need and gun owners need, for safety and for the unique circumstances that an individual may have.”

The congressman emphasizes that Americans must remain proactive in defense of their Second Amendment Rights.

“But now, what we find, is that the ATF is making it very difficult for people to have arm braces. They’re changing standards and changing rules.” Gaetz continues: “And I am particularly frustrated when our government, at the administrative and executive level, goes beyond their grant of authority in our Constitution and in our Federal Statutes. Nothing gives anyone at ATF the ability to constrain the use of arm braces.”

“So the breaking news is this – I’ll be sending a letter to the Department of Justice, asking for a review of the decisions made by ATF and asking that ATF stop, in this crazy effort to limit access to arm braces for people who seek to have them.”

Congressman Gaetz addresses Attorney General William Barr and Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Regina Lombardo in his letter, and says that he is concerned about the ATF’s practice of creating secret regulation, which could have devastating impacts on law-abiding citizens.

“This practice not only burdens the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding American citizens," Gaetz concludes, "but has recently been used by ATF to stifle innovation within the firearms industry and prosecute unwitting firearm owners.”

DrEarlCordova

Re: ATF doing shady stuff with pistol braces again

Post by DrEarlCordova »

I wonder which brace he is referring to that is "owned by over 700,000 Americans" ?
Flash

Post by Flash »

I imagine he is using the term brace in a generic fashion, meaning there are a bunch of different makes and models owned by 700,000 Americans.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I don't like the braces, but I'm not gonna try to keep someone else from having. Unlike all the funds did with bump stocks.

I'll just spend the extra $200 and have a real stock on my shorty. All my shorties are two stamp guns anyway..
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

XJThrottle wrote: June 17th, 2020, 9:46 am I'll just spend the extra $200 wait a year to use the property I already have and ask permission of daddy government to gape my ass wide, put their fist in and use me as a sock puppet to justify the raping of my liberties.
FIFY.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Cubiclerevolt wrote: June 17th, 2020, 11:24 am
XJThrottle wrote: June 17th, 2020, 9:46 am I'll just spend the extra $200 wait a year to use the property I already have and ask permission of daddy government to gape my ass wide, put their fist in and use me as a sock puppet to justify the raping of my liberties.
FIFY.
You forgot to mention; if you travel with the legal, paid $200 for permission weapon, you must carry your papers, and if you cross a state line you must ask for permission first.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Check your facts fellas.

Got papers in 11 days. You aren't required to carry anything.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I've taken clearly home made suppressors into the shooting lanes at c2. They gave me s*** about my water bottle, didn't say a word otherwise.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

XJThrottle wrote: June 17th, 2020, 12:06 pm I've taken clearly home made suppressors into the shooting lanes at c2. They gave me s*** about my water bottle, didn't say a word otherwise.
That's good.

Now take them to Ben Avery wearing a Hawaiian shirt.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Home made, yet fully Form1 legal.

If I'm going to shoot outside, it won't be at a range.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

AZ1182 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 12:59 pm
YNOTAZ wrote: June 17th, 2020, 11:39 am
Cubiclerevolt wrote: June 17th, 2020, 11:24 am
FIFY.
You forgot to mention; if you travel with the legal, paid $200 for permission weapon, you must carry your papers, and if you cross a state line you must ask for permission first.
Took me two weeks the only time I did it, and you don't need those papers on your person.

Did you know that if pulled over by the Navajo's, you need papers proving that you legally bought your firearm? Not even crossing state lines and we need papers in parts of AZ. Sheesh.

Honestly, who cares if someone does NFA or not? They ain't harming you at all, it's literally making no sense even to fret about it.
Remember - Their Land Their Rules.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

We tried telling you that having Trump direct the ATF to ban bumpstock via an internal decision making process was a bad precedent. We new it was just the start of a long list of upcoming infringement.

Trumptards didn’t care. They were the ultimate Fudds. Rationalizing away their rights. They wouldn’t put on on their deer rifle, so banning them wasn’t a big deal.

Next is triggers and magazines, shortly followed by additional import restrictions, ammo restrictions.

They’ll never blame trump for heading us down this road, because Trump is never wrong in their eyes.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I wanted to make a point as well. With one of the restrictions on an NFA Item and the reason I have a couple AR/AK pistols with braces.

Most people that get their first or second NFA item have no idea what the laws are. They go by what their buddy told them or what the FFL told them they needed to know to get a tax stamppot the laws.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the following: (paraphrasing because I've heard multiple variations on these 2 main themes)

"If a cop asks about my SBS or SBR I will tell them to go screw themselves, they don’t have authority"

"If a cop asks about my SBS or SBR I will tell them to go screw themselves, this is a tax issue and they have no authority to see my tax records or enforce federal tax law."

They might get lucky and the local LEO will explain to them that they are wrong, or he could just arrest them and let them learn the hard way. I don't know all NFA laws but I know enough to keep my butt out of jail.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

You wanted to make a point by spewing inaccurate information in response to my factual post?

Interesting.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

XJThrottle wrote: June 17th, 2020, 8:42 pm You wanted to make a point by spewing inaccurate information in response to my factual post?

Interesting.
Hmm... I guess I do not see anything interesting. I guess the question is what ones one consider accurate or prudent. Believe me, if you drive thru any of the front range counties in Colorado, with an NFA item, and you have an out of state address, and don't have a 20 form... You're going to jail. And my friend, that is "accurate"... just say in'.