Gun "jugging" - the latest gun theft tactic

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Gun "jugging" - the latest gun theft tactic

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here's an interesting report out of Texas. It seems going to the range makes you a potential target. It also seems gangs with affiliations in states where guns are harder to get might be networking with their counterparts in gun havens like Texas (and here?) to steal what is sought.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 7346f06458

HOUSTON — Houston police are warning gun owners about a worrisome rising crime trend: gun jugging.

"Jugging" is a term typically used to describe crooks watching an unsuspecting person go to an ATM and take out cash, then following that person to another location and robbing them.

Recently, police say they are seeing that same type of crime, but instead of ATMs, crooks look over shooting range parking lots. And instead of cash, they steal guns.

“These guys are targeting those people," said Sgt. Tracy Hicks. "They’re also learning, why not go for more than one gun?”

On May 12, police caught two men committing this exact crime red-handed.

They arrested 19-year-old Michael Parker and 19-year-old Victor Gwinn, whose car police had their eyes on from a previous "gun jugging" case, according to Harris County prosecutors.

Both were charged with engaging in organized crime, and court documents say they are documented members of a criminal gang.

Law-abiding gun owners are familiar with the sentiment: criminals will find illegal ways to get their hands on guns.

Hicks said one way the public can prevent that is to secure their firearms, either in a gun safe in their vehicle, or by bringing them home after their range time.

"That’s something you have to live with, that your complacency was a factor in that," Hicks said.

He said police all over the country are contacting Houston police to tell them about a Texas person's gun being used in a crime in a different state.

In this case, Parker and Gwinn watched a man who had just put his guns into his SUV at a local shooting range and followed him until he stopped at a restaurant. They then broke into his car and stole his gun.

“One less gun on the street is one less victim out there," Hicks said.

Pro2a

Re: Gun "jugging" - the latest gun theft tactic

Post by Pro2a »

Wow, I figured a range was more of a hard target.
Situational awareness....
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Pretty ballsie, and stupid
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

Very interesting indeed. I'll be keeping a closer eye on traffic behind me now when I leave the range. No more stopping at In and Out to get a burger. Thanks for posting this information.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Just have to be vigilant cannot let your guard down for a second or some a$$hole will take advantage of us watch your six 24-7
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

I've always kept an eye on traffic leaving a shooting area, established or not, and always head home to clean and put in the safe. Some call it paranoia, others vigilance.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

There was a home invasion in my hood where a guy was followed home from a range. They came dressed like cops saying police search warrant and he let them in to comply with the "law". He was robbed of his guns and they were taken to atm machines to withdraw cash as well. Didn't even make the local news. This happened several years ago now. I think news of robberies like this are suppressed by the police because they fear getting in a shooting during one of their raids.

I have heard about several other events like this at various ranges in the last few years.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

"That’s something you have to live with, that your complacency was a factor in that," Hicks said.

GTFOutta here. My complacency or vigilance has nothing to do with it. The criminal element is the problem. That's like saying a woman has to live with being raped, because of her complacency in the way she dressed.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks for the info from a weekly range user. But we don't live by the same laws as Texas does. Do we? Most of the people on this board are usually armed all the time, I would think. I think that Texas has different laws about concealed carry and open carry.
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

Doc Holliday wrote: May 24th, 2020, 6:51 am "That’s something you have to live with, that your complacency was a factor in that," Hicks said.

GTFOutta here. My complacency or vigilance has nothing to do with it. The criminal element is the problem. That's like saying a woman has to live with being raped, because of her complacency in the way she dressed.
Still, being vigilant will help avoid the problem. Same goes for rape.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

It's 'victim blaming'.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hmm perhaps a trap can be set, hehehe, wait is that premeditated, or just being pre vigilant.

asking
Rj
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Don't go straight home or else they can find out where you live and break into your house and get everything later - take different routes home and look at who turns when you do.
If you go to eat- get take-out and eat in your car -observing who else is in the area. If you are being followed, don't disarm when you get home.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Use the 3 turn rule.

If someone makes 3 turns behind you, it's time to find out if they're following you or not.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

It sounded like they wait for the person to leave the range, go somewhere else, and then break into the car to steal the gun from there.