Gun "jugging" - the latest gun theft tactic

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Cubiclerevolt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Gun "jugging" - the latest gun theft tactic

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Flash wrote: May 25th, 2020, 5:52 am Use the 3 turn rule.

If someone makes 3 turns behind you, it's time to find out if they're following you or not.
Super wise.

Implementing this.

Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Per ars the registration must be in the vehicle. Your explanation wont get you off if the ticket is written. The registration paper contains more information than just an address.

And no it is not always promptly invalidated if you dont have insurance. Only when dmv sends a random notice to respond with current insurance and you dont do so will it be suspended but not simply because you aren't current

If you dont want to leave it in the car keep it in your wallet but not having it is a ticket. Do what you will I'm just letting you know.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Dmv randomly sends notices to registered vehicles. They tell the owner to submit proof of insurance. If you do not respond they suspend ALL registrations, if still no response they have also suspended driver's licenses.

Its completely random but dont ignore it. A no mandatory insurance ticket is excess 900.00
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Also insurance companies regularly report cancelled policies to dmv who notates registrations with policy numbers which are cancelled. You would be surprised the number of people who buy insurance get the card and cancel thinking they are home free if stopped.

No insurance drivers are one of the biggest cost issues those of us who carry insurance bear
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

they do but dmv doesn't cancel registration based on that, you might have purchased elsewhere, they do notate the record with canceled policy info

Its good to be cautious with identifying info jist keep it in wallet if you dont want to leave in the car
Ajm10
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Ajm10 »

Be ever vigilant! Keep your head on a swivel and your carry at the ready!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

knockonit wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:35 am hmm perhaps a trap can be set, hehehe, wait is that premeditated, or just being pre vigilant.

asking
Rj
drag.jpg
jledman

Post by jledman »

thom wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:12 am Thanks for the info from a weekly range user. But we don't live by the same laws as Texas does. Do we? Most of the people on this board are usually armed all the time, I would think. I think that Texas has different laws about concealed carry and open carry.
No, Texas is an open carry state as well as a concelaed carry state.

Just drive out to the desert while they are following. Clint Eastwood style in Eigar Sanction.

You don't need a news report to think it would be a possibility, especially right now.
jledman

Re: Old surveillance tactic.

Post by jledman »

Jager wrote: May 26th, 2020, 11:55 am Think you're being followed? Take three left turns or three right turns in succession. The chances someone is coincidentally following you in what amounts to a circle are about zero. Just don't get into a dead end. Doing left/right/left won't get it. Three identical turns? You ARE being followed. Act oblivious and call 911 while meandering anywhere BUT home. Give the dispatcher the vehicle description and stay on the line until the cruiser pulls up behind them. You need not stop. The officer will ID them and chances are they'll have a bad day. I know - because I've done it a few times. 8-)

I think someone else also mentioned it - but don't keep anything with your address on it in the car. However, state law says you must keep your vehicle registration and proof of insurance! I've told the officer that he ran my plates and they came back valid. That's proof enough that the vehicle is properly registered if the VIN matches. I carry a copy of my insurance card in my wallet and on my phone. I also remind the officer that my registration would be promptly invalidated if I did not have state approved insurance. I have not received a ticket for either, yet. If some dirt bag breaks into your car and finds a weapon(s) - you may get another visit if they note your address. My registration remains at home. I'll gladly explain the above to a judge.

I take a different route home each time and am always looking for followers. Old habit. When I do stop to eat, it is only where I can view my vehicle while doing so.

Gun 'jugging' is a new term for something that's been going on for decades.
Why do you suppose people are following you?
jledman

Post by jledman »

338lapua wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:10 pm There was a home invasion in my hood where a guy was followed home from a range. They came dressed like cops saying police search warrant and he let them in to comply with the "law". He was robbed of his guns and they were taken to atm machines to withdraw cash as well. Didn't even make the local news. This happened several years ago now. I think news of robberies like this are suppressed by the police because they fear getting in a shooting during one of their raids.

I have heard about several other events like this at various ranges in the last few years.
The drug cartels used to stage many home invasions with cop uniforms for years.

I guess you got to make an individual decision when the time comes.
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

I do not go anywhere after the range where I would have to leave a large amount of firearms in the car just out of fear of it being broken into and arming ghetto goblins. Just drop them off at home and then head back out. After hearing this it now adds a bit of paranoia to just even going straight home without looking over your shoulder.
Taserface

Post by Taserface »

I usually make about 20 turns before I get to my house. Lol
Clickoops

Post by Clickoops »

ok my amigos. Yes be vigilant. Also, dont let extremely isolated incidents dictate your behavior.