Frame Cleaning

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Frame Cleaning

Post by Pro2a »

As a supplement to the barrel cleaning, I'm curious to know if there is a better way to clean frames, specific to pistols.
On the carbon covered areas, generally the internals just forward/below where the chamber would be, I spray some gunscrubber and just let it drip down the magwell. Before it quick dries, I try to run a toothbrush around a bit, then do a gunscrubber rinse again.
With the exception of the one drop on the Glock connector point, I try to keep oil out of the whole frame area, on all other brands.
Do any of you have better luck with other methods?

samnev

Re: Frame Cleaning

Post by samnev »

I also use ballistic on the rails. On MG's I use CLP on the internals.
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

It’s tough keeping the frame clean, especially when you shoot suppressed. I do the same as the OP, mostly just a lot of scrubbing with a narrow brush. I never get it completely clean, just cleaner.
baby huey

Post by baby huey »

I rarely worry about it but had to replace a broken trigger spring on my Glock so I decided to completely strip it down and I ran the frame under hot water in the sink. After 10 years of carrying and at least 10k rounds the amount of filth coming off the frame was epic.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I liken it to the engine on your car. You don't steam clean your car's engine after every trip to Safeway. The engine gets filthy but it runs just fine -- provided you change the oil on schedule. Lubrication is more important than cleanliness.

When I want to clean the frame, I take it out into the back yard and spray it with brake cleaner (not carburator cleaner). Then apply oil.

Now and then, I will detail strip a gun, clean every small part, cover each part with a film of oil, and reassemble.

Mostly, though, keep the moving parts and contact parts lubricated.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Toss it in a small ultrasonic cleaner with a bit of dish soap a couple of times a year.
Reassemble and oil.