Anyone owned a Fort Knox and a Liberty Safe?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
DRTDIVR
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Anyone owned a Fort Knox and a Liberty Safe?

Post by DRTDIVR »

I'm out of space in my current safe. Looking at Fort Knox because I can go really large but their pricing is up there I could buy 2 of the Liberty Presidential models and be less than the one bigger fort knox. I was curious to see if anyone has owned both brands and has noticed the quality difference and could elaborate for me.

I'm interested to also here from owners that just have one or the other and have complaints from either side.

Elk34
Banned
Banned

Re: Anyone owned a Fort Knox and a Liberty Safe?

Post by Elk34 »

Stay away from electric locks. Call Safe city ask for Jessie. Ask him pros and cons. He will be strait with you.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

DRTDIVR wrote: May 13th, 2020, 5:15 pm I'm out of space in my current safe. Looking at Fort Knox because I can go really large but their pricing is up there I could buy 2 of the Liberty Presidential models and be less than the one bigger fort knox. I was curious to see if anyone has owned both brands and has noticed the quality difference and could elaborate for me.

I'm interested to also here from owners that just have one or the other and have complaints from either side.
With Fort Knox you can add AR500 for all sides, top, door. etc. That ads much more protection. Ask Jesse at Safe City in Mesa about it.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

I had thought about going to see Jesse but I figured he would be closed with the Corona Craze. I guess I could call and find out. But in the meantime for discussion, Fort Knox wins for security. I see all of those things but what's the point of diminished returns for a residential security container? I don't want or expect to buy a vault. Isn't the point of a home safe to keep you things from being damaged in a fire or stall a burglar long enough for someone to arrive at the house?

As for electronic locks vs mechanical locks. On my current safe I have both and the electronic lock hasn't given me a single hiccup in 10yrs.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I've been looking for another safe also... comparing specs on a spreadsheet.
Ft. Knox definitely has a secure box but at a high cost.
I am somewhat skeptical of the thin flat locking bolts on the Liberty lineup...

They look good and may allow the door to be thinner (being 4" wide but only 1/4" or so thick), but I think they would be easier to cut than even a 1" bolt ? Also if they were that superior, someone else would have copied the idea... until I get more info I'm sticking to round bolts at least 1.25" dia. Another consideration are bolts top and bottom- not all boxes provide that in their lower models.

I'm also only looking at USA made boxes with external hinges due to the extra fire seal they leave intact. So far the choices I have come up with in an economical ($2k-3k +/-), 30-40 unit box are the: Sturdy-3627, Superior-Regal, Old Glory-6039, Ft.Knox-Maverick and Gardall-BFD6040. I'm looking for at least 60min at 1400F... the old glory says 120 min at 1880F, 9ga walls & 1/4" plate door for $2200 & free curb drop... that's hard to beat in that price range...

The one thing I'm undecided on is the lock. I've had an electronic lock for the last 15 years and not a bit of trouble- only changed the battery twice...
I've been thinking of switching to the dial with key style but OTOH my eyes are staring to dim some and I worry about the frequency I would be fussing with it to get it open.(not worried about quick E-access- I keep plenty of loaded guns readily available).

The reason for the dial and what has bothered me, is the recent rumors I've read about the ability of certain groups to either lock you out of your safe before they visit or to open it against your wishes after they arrive... IYKWIM.
Of course I can't find any credible source to confirm this, just internet rumors from posters that say they know but it's a state secret. It is believable in this day of untrustworthy overseers and electronic gadgets with back-doors mandated for some products- so it is a distinct possibility.

I figure that a dial with a key override would provide the peace of mind security plus the quick-open convenience for everyday use...

what Y'all think?
Flash

Post by Flash »

I've had 5 different safes, but never a Liberty.

I do have a Fort knox, though, and it's by far the best one I've ever had. Jessie sold it to me.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I own 1 fort knox and its the best of the 4 i have owned. Great workmanship, interior dividers are much sturdier than some of the others i own. I have heard varying stories concerning the electronic locks vs the mechanical. I have all mechanical locks and have one that is not working right that i need to get looked at. Some say that the mechanical locks have more issues than the electronic. The electronic are easier to open fast if you practice. I don't keep things in the safe that i need fast so that was never a consideration. I have bought all my safes from Jesse at Safe City. It seems that safe mfg come and go. Utah was and is a hotbed of safe mfg. Employees leave one company and start a new one with better ideas sometimes. Liberty used to be the best in the market but something changed. Production went outside the US or something like that. Champion same story. Amsec is one of the best for fire rating but very expensive. Jesse is an honest guy. He will obviously try and sell you on what he sells. Which may not be the brand you want but he will explain why he does not sell that brand anymore or never did. Call Jesse you will be glad you did.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

In my research, i just ran across this owner review of a Liberty Presidential...
haven't read it entirely but thought you might be interested.
https://www.the-minuteman.org/wp-conten ... .html_gzip

Also found this site full of buying tips...
https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

ETA... here is another one
https://amanandhisgear.com/fort-knox-vs-liberty-safes
Last edited by Harrier on May 15th, 2020, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I have a Liberty Presidential and am really happy with it, 15 years or so now. Solid as a rock with very large round bolts to secure it.

When I was considering safes, the fire resistance was a huge factor for us and you can almost never compare apples to apples with the way Safes are certified. So I involved the local Fire Chief who was happy to help do my comparisons ad how I ended up with a Liberty.
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

:D I'd go with Fort Knox

knockonit

Post by knockonit »

my major safe is an amsec, the rest are a multitude of misc. units, Winchester, sturdy, sentry, cannon, liberty, one i picked up from cabelas, have no idea who made it nor do i care. and a couple odd ones that didn't put a bill board on them.

the amsec, i keep most inportant items its rated for 1 hour, the rest probably 30 -45 min, a mixture of electronic and mechanical, i like both, don't discriminate on locking.

Safes are not really safe, but they are good for keeping most thieves out, add a really good alarm or camera system and all will be fine, and be sure to have a local person in event you are on walkabout to review units if tampered with.
i don't really worry about fire, but the ole gal was easy to convince when i mentioned they were fire safes, know which battle to go for.
best of luck, can't say at all i like one more than the other.
rj
knockonit

Re: Between the two

Post by knockonit »

Jager wrote: May 15th, 2020, 10:28 am Fort Knox is the winner if you have the money.

Liberty is fine for most realistic scenarios the average owner is likely to encounter.

I'd love to have about a dozen safes and a video setup covering several angles. Just to be able to see the thieves reaction trying to figure out the ones the good stuff was in. :lol:

probably almost as funny watching me trying to remember the combos, especially lately as i had moved them all around while re arranging the toy room, my gal gets a giggle, when she has to assist in the combo info, shes got a memory like a computer
Rj
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

So what was the video posted above supposed to prove or show.
It did show one thing that I have been saying for years. The fireproofing they use is nothing but drywall. I like how he calls it insulation.
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:34 am So what was the video posted above supposed to prove or show.
It did show one thing that I have been saying for years. The fireproofing they use is nothing but drywall. I like how he calls it insulation.
Shits and giggles. Relax
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Sorry I offended you.
I just thought there might be a purpose for the video.