Anyone owned a Fort Knox and a Liberty Safe?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Isnake
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Anyone owned a Fort Knox and a Liberty Safe?

Post by Isnake »

2 Liberty safes here, no complaints.

paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I have a liberty, bought it ten years ago. Quite happy with it.
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:13 pm Sorry I offended you.
I just thought there might be a purpose for the video.
:D no offense taken here, brother. Just clarifying. You mentioned drywall. I remember talking with Jesse at Safe City once and he mentioned how the Chinese safes used some type of drywall that attracted moisture which made things worse for stored guns.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Now that you mention it, I recall a few years ago Chinese drywall had a bad rap in the construction industry for some (forgotten) reason... leaching formaldehyde or something...
Everyone says their happy with their safe, so I suppose they haven't had a lock fail-to-open (how many of those are digital?.. brand) and I also assume they haven't had a break-in or fire... so with no real experience as to how the safe protected their gats, why wouldn't they be happy?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

All drywall attracts moisture.
The difference in mold resistant drywall ( used in bathrooms ) and regular drywall is the outer coating.
The material used on the outside.
Regular drywall uses paper with attracts moister and will mildew.
The water resistant drywall used in bathrooms usually uses a fiberglass mesh instead of paper because it won't mold or mildew.
The gypsum material used inside the core is non organic and will not mildew or mold.
The gypsum material is what is fireproof.

The reason Chinese drywall was recalled was because it emitted sulfide gases that corroded copper coils in AC units and wiring in houses and appliances.
It had nothing to do with collecting moisture.

If you buy a non fireproof safe and lined the inside with drywall ( minimum 5/8 ) it will be as good as any fireproof safe.
The thicker the drywall the better the fireproofing.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

h8pvmnt wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:51 am I own 1 fort knox and its the best of the 4 i have owned. Great workmanship, interior dividers are much sturdier than some of the others i own. I have heard varying stories concerning the electronic locks vs the mechanical. I have all mechanical locks and have one that is not working right that i need to get looked at. Some say that the mechanical locks have more issues than the electronic. The electronic are easier to open fast if you practice. I don't keep things in the safe that i need fast so that was never a consideration. I have bought all my safes from Jesse at Safe City. It seems that safe mfg come and go. Utah was and is a hotbed of safe mfg. Employees leave one company and start a new one with better ideas sometimes. Liberty used to be the best in the market but something changed. Production went outside the US or something like that. Champion same story. Amsec is one of the best for fire rating but very expensive. Jesse is an honest guy. He will obviously try and sell you on what he sells. Which may not be the brand you want but he will explain why he does not sell that brand anymore or never did. Call Jesse you will be glad you did.
If, God forbid an EMP was detonated over the Western states, good luck getting into your Electronic Lock safe.
desertcop204
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by desertcop204 »

I have a fort Knox executive 6637. I’ve probably got maybe three dozen firearms in there and it’s getting pretty tight so my only bit of advice would be if you can afford it, get at least one size larger than you think you’ll need because that space goes quickly when guns start multiplying. I’ve been very happy with mine. I was looking at liberty as well but went Fort Knox instead
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

Jesse at Safe City can get you set up with electronic and dial Fort Knox safe.. so you never have to get it drilled plus a lifetime warranty on safe. i checked out cheaper safes in town but the delivery and setup were crazy money and made the ft Knox basically the same except ft knox has 7mm walls in their no-frills lineup.
DanceTiger

Post by DanceTiger »

I have owned both Fort Knox and Liberty. I just ordered another Fort Knox through Jesse at Safe City, very honest guy with lots of information. With Fort Knox, you can order a electronic lock along with a mechanical lock, called a redundant lock.
weenis

Post by weenis »

When I purchased my safe I looked at both Fort Knox and Liberty, and ended up going with Sturdy.

I purchased the Sturdy, sight unseen, but looked at both Fort Knox and Liberty in person.

This was my quote that was converted to an Invoice. It's the exact build and price I paid-

I had it shipped to and received in Phoenix, and the company that received it drove it to nothern AZ to move it into place.

The only thing I would change is a Stainless Steel plate for both locks. I went with a manual and electronic lock, if I leave for a period of time I'll spin the manual, otherwise I primarily use the electronic. It's fast, and very reliable. I haven't changed the battery in a very long time, but I did test disconnecting and reconnecting without issue. I might set something in my calendar to change it every New Years Day.

Despite what Elk34 says here-
Elk34 wrote: May 13th, 2020, 6:29 pm Stay away from electric locks.
The electronic lock is great, and Elk34 is an idiot. Not only on the topic of locks, but basically everything. I haven't found anything that he talks about to be worthwhile.

Now, with the price of the safe that I received, if I were to purchase a similarly configured Fort Knox or Liberty would be tremendously more expensive. I admit, I did not receive all the internal bells and whistles that come with Fort Knox or Liberty, I was able to configure it myself in a way that I love, and secures my valuables from tweakers and protects from fire.