Let's talk offset CQO's in conjunction with the LPVO

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
redj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Let's talk offset CQO's in conjunction with the LPVO

Post by redj »

So , what was the question again ?

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

TL:DR;

You have a 1-4 optic on your rifle, likely zeroed at 100 yards. You want to mount a micro red dot to that optic (or elsewhere on the rifle) for close quarters engagements (point blank to 50 yards). You are having a difficult time being able to visually pick up the red dot, no matter where you have tried mounting the red dot sight.

Assuming all that is correct;

There is nothing you can see through a 4x/6x optic (at a range less than 50 yards) that you can't shoot and still be effective. You don't need the red dot, IMO.

If a target is 5 yards in front of you, and you can't simply point the rifle at it and score hits, you have other issues besides where to mount a micro red dot.

A low power variable optic zeroed at 100 yards is very capable of making a 5 yard, effective hit. Will it hit in the exact spot you are aiming at? No. But it will hit within 3". Still a VERY effective hit.
TomPHX
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by TomPHX »

I have 2 rifles with magnified optics, both had aimpoint micros on 45 degree offsets, with a .5 inch riser between the offset mount and the micro. Give about a 1.93-2.00" height. Makes it much easier to acquire the RDS for me.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

TomPHX wrote: April 27th, 2020, 2:15 pm I have 2 rifles with magnified optics, both had aimpoint micros on 45 degree offsets, with a .5 inch riser between the offset mount and the micro. Give about a 1.93-2.00" height. Makes it much easier to acquire the RDS for me.
I think this is the most successful method. A simple 45 degree tilt of the rifle and you are back on target.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Indoors a laser of any color works just fine, but outside in the sunlight it washes out quickly.

I had a hard time seeing a Steiner DBAL green laser at 50 yds when initially sighting it in. However that just may be me as someone walking behind me at the time made a comment on how strong and visible the dot was at that range.
TomPHX

Post by TomPHX »

Another good use for the offset rds, particularly on a higher mount is for passing aiming with nods. Or as a backup in case of a down laser.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I've never had that problem before. I just drop a lot of money on my equipment.