Red dots or steel sights

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!

Which do you prefer on a rifle?

Poll ended at June 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm

Red dot
67%
Steel sights
33%

Total votes: 36

Elk34
Banned
Banned

Red dots or steel sights

Post by Elk34 »

Is it a generational thing? I remember back in my military days all we had pretty much were steel sights. We would go to the range and shoot thousands of rds per day and learned steel sights out to 800 yards. Now adays everybody is using red dots and only if any use their steel. How many of you still use steel on anything? I know red dots are nice at night and during low light.
Last edited by Elk34 on April 23rd, 2020, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Red dots or steel sights

Post by Tim McBride »

I have guns with irons, most have RDS, a few have both. I greatly prefer the red dot over anything else.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

But do you train with just the irons sights just in case your red dot goes down?
Joelgas1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Joelgas1 »

My opinion is that some guns are just meant to use iron sights. I prefer iron on my AKs, FAL, and long rifles, but love red dots on my AR platforms. Just a preference thing I guess
Dace

Post by Dace »

Its not generational unless you mean older generations dont like change. Modern red dots and LPVO scopes are superior in every way to iron sights.

Once you train and use your sights regularly you quickly realize the massive limitations of irons.

The only place irons might still have a place is on a defensive pistol where its more about point shooting and muscle memory at close distances. But even these are starting to get replaced.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I know the target acquisition is faster with red dots but there is something to say about iron. No batteries, less weight, you can drop your rifle pick it up and it's still zeroed. Less to get hung up on gear. No optics glint in the sun. I have red dots with ruby red lens coatings. I don't hate either one. I just think that the newer generation relys on the red dot to much and they don't trust the irons or train with them as much.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

It's not like those of us that prefer red dots and low power variable optics wouldn't be able to rock a target with irons if the non-iron sights went down. I don't think too many serious shooters would suddenly become retarded. It's not that hard to shoot a rifle or handgun with irons so I don't really see the NEED to train with them. Heck, I can hit a man sized target with a rifle at 300 yards within 3 shots with NO sights whatsoever. And the same target at 100 yards with a handgun with no sights. And I'm no David Tubb or Rob Leatham.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

No but I think you may train more than most.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

No but I think you may train more than most. You may be able to but I don't think you talk for the majority. That would be a bad assumption.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I have both, and love cool optics, but prefer steel sights.

You can bounce an AR around alot and never lose zero with iron sights, but can alter zero on optics/scopes.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Elk34 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 10:36 am But do you train with just the irons sights just in case your red dot goes down?
Nah man they are just there to look cool on the gram man.

:roll:

Yes, I still can and do practice shooting with irons.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

cool arrow wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 12:36 pm I have both, and love cool optics, but prefer steel sights.

You can bounce an AR around alot and never lose zero with iron sights, but can alter zero on optics/scopes.
I beat the s*** out of my Aimpoint on my 2Gun setup and it hasn't lost zero yet.

Cheap mounts and shitty optics lose zero. Buy quality.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

^^^ this

I was thinking mostly scopes, but you are right about the Aimpoint, mine has never failed me either, BUT I can do better for distance with steel sights, the Aimpoint is great for CQB but I still like my plain old iron sights when shooting over 50yds out. Just my "crazy old man preference."
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

Elk34 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 10:36 am But do you train with just the irons sights just in case your red dot goes down?
Of course. The red dot makes for faster acquisition, but you should always train with a back up plan. One is none, two is one...etc.

PACE
Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Elk34 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 11:57 am No but I think you may train more than most. You may be able to but I don't think you talk for the majority. That would be a bad assumption.
Fair enough