Red dots or steel sights

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!

Which do you prefer on a rifle?

Poll ended at June 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm

Red dot
67%
Steel sights
33%

Total votes: 36

Jeep
Banned
Banned

Re: Red dots or steel sights

Post by Jeep »

I don't have a lot of time with steel sights . Most of my time has been with red dots.

Pscipio03
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Pscipio03 »

As you get older the red dot will help you out tremendously on target acquisition on pistols.
For rifles, if you're still running irons you've seriously missed the boat.
Once you do enough pistol dry fire practice you'll be able to find the dot as fast as irons, then eventually faster.
As for having back up irons, I mean to each his own. Modern pistol RDS that are of quality build should be able to withstand the beatings that 99.99% of us will give them. People will always point out the RMR as having issues, but that RDS wasn't designed to handled the reciprocating of a slide- it was designed to sit atop a ACOG that doesn't move back and forth at tremendous speeds. Now, the Gen 2 is seriously robust.
My most recent 1911 build has completely blacked out front and rear sights to distract even less from finding the dot.
I'm sure at one time people poo-poo'd semi auto pistols, too. 'I've got a wheelie- no need to upgrade or hold more ammo.'
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

RD with iron backup is the way to be prepared.
I think RDS are becoming way better built, and able to handle slide banging
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

I'm and old guy and have have had Red DOts on many different rifles, but never a pistol. All of them have iron sites. I shoot everything with corrective though and the loss of vision is not crippling. But I picked up a Sig at the beginning and its got a slot milled with a cover for a red dot. Oh what the heck I like the gun I'll pick one up. There are NONE anywhere near Arizona and last week I canceled my orders with OpticsPLanet and SIg for the their Romeo site that fits this gun. I figure 5 months is enough. I doubt the sig is going to see a red dot anytime soon.

But I have ordered and hopefully will will come in in the next 2 weeks. Its a Holsom Green DOT ? Personally I perfer the green dot. What does everybody else say ?

Note: I didn't complete the poll - It lacks a green dot.