How often do you clean your guns?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
redj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How often do you clean your guns?

Post by redj »

I clean mine every time they are fired ,or if they get dirty or dusty.
If I take one somewhere , I make sure it is clean before I put it away.
A clean gun is a happy gun.

Seif

Post by Seif »

knockonit wrote: April 17th, 2020, 10:44 am no more than i absolutely have to, like when they quit working
Pretty much this. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I probably have 3000 rounds through it suppressed and its still ticking. My daughters Marlin 60 needs cleaning after a couple hundred rounds.
semperfisurveyor

Post by semperfisurveyor »

Corrosive through the vintage units, and my carry get the love...the rest are as time allows.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Seif wrote: April 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm
knockonit wrote: April 17th, 2020, 10:44 am no more than i absolutely have to, like when they quit working
Pretty much this. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I probably have 3000 rounds through it suppressed and its still ticking. My daughters Marlin 60 needs cleaning after a couple hundred rounds.
Why in the world would you wait until something as important as a weapon that could save your life broke down? I'm calling BS on your post knockonit as I know your business has a ton of equipment that would cost you a fortune if you didn't do preventative maintenance instead of waiting until it took a crap. Not you RJ, but I'm reading posts from simply a bunch of lazy guys.
curtmini14

Post by curtmini14 »

im with red every time i use them.i also noticed that the lazy ones are the first to cry like little babies when there gun does break.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, they get cleaned and perhaps till something breaks or they malfunction may be a little extreme, but my carries which is quite a few, are not cleaned as much as one would expect, i gravitate towards units that can be abused and ignored for a carry. I shoot coated bullets, and have to say it negates so much cleaning issues, i have not bought into the super duper defensive bullets, i have bought into shot placement, and am so confortable with my range ammo. But have to say, my carry (fav) probably hasn't been cleaned more than twice in its two years of carry, and probably 5k plus of rounds, i run a minimum of a two hundred thru it at least once a week, as i try to shoot once a week with the "boys' shooting day is generally a minimum of 1k and usually closer to 1.5k rounds,
the carbines do need a squirt once in a while, but have to say thats about it. my new little plinker the tx22, has probably 5k thru it and no cleaning, but generally they run till i sense a difference in operation, and when you shoot them as much as i do, you know right away.
and i do enjoy the smell of a used gun, hehe, i'm strange like that i guess.
Rj
428cj

Post by 428cj »

I shoot them, I clean them. Old saying, take care of your weapon it will take care of you.
ale4me

Post by ale4me »

Modern handguns and corrosive free ammo don’t really require cleaning that often. I clean my Glock maybe once every six months. .22’s every two range trips.
samnev

Post by samnev »

xerts1191 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 10:40 am :whistle: I see some of you are a bit OCD
Guilty
Vyadmirer

Post by Vyadmirer »

Another spin on the thought process is that if you go a few times without cleaning then you know for a fact how well your gun can run dirty. That’s actually useful in a way. You also know which ones get picky. Outside of rim fire it’s hard to make a modern gun so dirty it won’t run. (Outside of an extreme round count or some tuned up 1911 or something.)
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AZ Husker wrote: April 17th, 2020, 11:20 pm
Why ..... I'm calling BS on your post knockonit as I know your business has a ton of equipment that would cost you a fortune if you didn't do preventative maintenance instead of waiting until it took a crap. Not you RJ, ...........
HA...HA...HA... :banana-dance: :happy-bouncyyellow: :laughing-rolling:
monkeypaw

Post by monkeypaw »

I clean mine every other time I go shooting. Heck, I even cleaned a few when I was bored sitting around.
toepopper

Post by toepopper »

AZ Husker wrote: April 17th, 2020, 12:39 am
toepopper wrote: April 16th, 2020, 10:25 pm Clean them when its needed. Once a year I take everything out and run a patch through the barrels, couple of drops on the bolts or actions, and clean any excess off.
Once a year? Either you don't shoot much or are one of the folks that I spoke about ignoring preventative maintenance. And you only lube them once a year? Wow.
Im not gonna say much more, but even if I shot one every week, I could not go through them all in a year..... :whistle:
Mossberg

Post by Mossberg »

I used to enjoy cleaning them but it’s more like a chore anymore.
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

When it starts to annoy me. You start to get carbon bleeding through the hammer and trigger pins on an AR after a while. And the copper fouling on the muzzle device turns that bluish-green color of oxidation after it’s been sitting for a while.