Bill of Sale

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
TacMedic
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Bill of Sale

Post by TacMedic »

I did a search and saw that this is been discussed some in different forums or different specific postings, but I have my opinion in regards to a bill of sale and wanted to hear others. With that, here is my opinion.

Honestly, when I see an add requesting a “signed bill of sale”... I move on. A firearm is a piece of property and I see no need to do that. I do my due diligence and ask to see an AZ DL and CCW (if they have it) and ask them if they can legally own a firearm in Arizona (they could lie just like on the government form) No pictures of their stuff or “tracking” by me. I know a concern is if the gun later comes up used in a crime or something...but really the bill of sell does not really add any protection. It’s just a feel good measure from my perspective. If you really want no part of it, sell your gun on consignment at an FFL gun shop.

This comes from someone that recently spoke with the ATF in regards to a shotgun I had purchased then sold a year or so later. After reportedly “multiple sales” it was seized after being sawed off and converted to an illegal firearm. As I was the original owner, they started their tracking with me to try and investigate the history of the gun and who had done it. I informed them of my involvement with it, the little data I had on the person that bought it from my interactions. That was the end of it...it was sold and was factory when I sold it. Done and done.

A bill of sale may have provided a name (that could also be fake).

Anyway no skin off my nose if someone wants the feel good measure, I just won’t buy from them. I just wondered if there is actually a good argument for holding a bill of sale other then “protection”.

Thoughts or legal opinions from our vast internet lawyers? 😁

digger2
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Bill of Sale

Post by digger2 »

I would think that protection from liability is the main reason and best there is. Whether someone chooses to lie is up to them, but as you have seen their id and ccw if available what can they lie about?
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

The only time I want to copy their ID #'s is if the gun was bought on a 4473 in my name, otherwise I do as you do, check that they are resident, of legal age, allowed to own a gun and then forget it all by the time I get home.
If I get a gut feeling they are a lowlife criminal, or if they praise allah akbar I just break off and go home with my piece.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I don't really have any BIG problems with all the paranoia expressed by sellers,... except one!

When a seller lists all their fantasy requirements, to be verified by forged documents , if dealing with criminal,... and, they add to that list how they are following ALL AZ LAWS,... that really pisses off!!!

THERE ARE NO ARIZONA LAWS REQUIRING ANY DOCUMENTATION FOR A FIREARM SALE,... PERIOD!!!

Any seller that adds that to his list of required documentation, in his sale,... doesn't have a clue what he/she is talking about, and, I avoid such idiots like the plague!

There,... that's my opinion!
Last edited by shooter444 on April 13th, 2020, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Same here. If somebody wants to require a bill of sale, that's their business. Free country. But I will not buy from them. Likewise, if somebody wants to verify that I am an Arizona resident and have a CCW, I will show them drivers license and permit -- but I will cover the name and address. My identity is none of their business, and I don't care about theirs. If they don't want my money, that's fine with me. Free country. There is no gun that I am desperate to buy.
Razai

Post by Razai »

What Smithers599 said. Will not be asked for or complied with. Period
Last edited by Razai on April 13th, 2020, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I've actually had two guys want to take a photo of my driver's license during a legal private sale. I do flash it and my CCW but cover up personal info. If you're that worried, snap a picture of their license plate.
Worldwatcher

Post by Worldwatcher »

I pass them by as well. I do it as I don’t want my info in someone else’s records. Someone else breaks into their home and finds my address listed for having purchased a gun from them? No thx. Not paranoid, it is just not necessary. I have a lot of friends that are cops and lawyers and they all say to not sign a bill of sale or require one. If I lost someones info and it resulted in a loss or bodily harm to them I could be liable in civil court as well. So the only thing a bill of sale gets anyone is a liability not protection.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

I pass on them too. I've missed out on a few purchases but nothing I won't find again or can't live without. If they want one they can have one, but not from me. If you're that paranoid, take the loss and trade it in to a shop.
H Y P H Y

Post by H Y P H Y »

I explain to them while I'm not comfortable with doing a bill of sale or letting them inspect my ID due to them having my personal information, I offer to complete the transaction at a FFL or law enforcement department. If it's a must to show AZ ID, I will make sure I cover up all info besides my picture. Sorry, but I'm not providing information such as my D.O.B., address, real name, drivers license #. Before I was 20 I had someone (don't know who) illegally use my information before. I suspect it may have been due to my carelessness of personal information at the time (such as throwing away spam mail.) Not going through that whole identity / credit theft process again. Nope. I'll pass on the firearm purchase if I have to expose my personal information.
Roneyj

Post by Roneyj »

I too pass on ads with bill of sale required. In all of my trading I have only had one person ask to take a picture of my drivers license. When I said only if I can take a picture of yours and he changed his mind.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Asking for that s**t is just pure bad manners and the sign of California sickness. F**k those guys.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

Suck My Glock wrote: April 12th, 2020, 10:41 pm Asking for that s**t is just pure bad manners and the sign of California sickness. F**k those guys.
😂😂😂

How do you really feel? 🤷🏼‍♂️😂
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

It's almost as bad as people listing the age 21 requirement on pistol sales...
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

AZ Husker wrote: April 12th, 2020, 6:58 pm If you're that worried, snap a picture of their license plate.
Be careful about suggesting that one, there are some who get their thong panties in a bunch when it comes to that, even though their license plate is out there all day long for everyone to see.