Do I need multiples of the same gun?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Roneyj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Do I need multiples of the same gun?

Post by Roneyj »

First let me say I do not think that we are headed for a SHTF scenario. However I have been thinking about my collection lately. I have several firearms that where handed down and have sentimental value. I have some that are always in the trading pool. I also have some that I have deemed essential. For example I have a Glock 19 that I practice with and will probably always keep on hand. My question is should I have more than one? If something did happen and I felt the need to gear up and leave town would there be a benefit in being able to give my wife the exact same weapon? She has been shooting but, is not what I would call efficient. Being able to share ammo, magazines, holsters.... seems beneficial. This is important because I really want to get a HK USP compact but, wouldn't be unhappy with another Glock 19. Thoughts?

Jamnmike

Re: Do I need multiples of the same gun?

Post by Jamnmike »

The more consolidated your pistols or firearms are , to me personally? I dig it. Less confusion and you can have a gazillion mags and you dont have to worry about it. I've consolidated to 3 types of ammo. 9mm, .223 and 12 gauge. Everyone has it. Glocks especially.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

My family has one of each gun for each family member. Magazines are interchangeable, same ammo for whole family. Each has their own AR, handgun, and .22 rifle/handgun as well. Multiples are good in my opinion.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

diversity in ammo, platforms, brands and knowledge and never shy from information on skills, gleen what you can when you can, use what works, and continue to collect, store and learn.
survival, make it priority for one and all around you
Rj
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

I can see the benefit of consolidating into a single caliber for handguns and a single caliber for rifles, but at the same time there are advantages to having several different calibers. As anyone who has been out looking for ammo in the last few weeks can tell you most of the really popular calibers (9mm, 45acp, .40, .357. .223, ect) are completely gone while some of the slightly less popular calibers (.41 mag, .44 special, etc) are still available. Also if things got really bad as in a complete SHTF scenario and the only way to get ammo is to salvage it then having a variety of calibers might give you better odds of finding something that one of your guns can shoot.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

TacMedic wrote: April 10th, 2020, 10:42 pm ........ Multiples are good in my opinion.
Agreed. IF a gun is important to me, I have an identical spare.
Seif

Post by Seif »

There is an old say that "two is one and one is none". If life permits you to have multiples of your favorite/go to/best shooting firearm then it is always a good idea to do so.

$0.02
guardyan_angyl

Post by guardyan_angyl »

AZ1182 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 6:33 am As for this topic and in regards to an EDC, I'd say that having a backup just in case the primary goes down for whatever reason, is a smart thing to do.
Not just that but if you also have to use your primary EDC in a defensive situation you can kiss it goodbye for a while. At least this way you have a backup that you are familiar with carrying and already have all the accessories such as holsters, mags, etc.
thom

Post by thom »

If not a duplicate then a smaller or larger version. The same mechanics and parts are usually there. Like the grip angle and the ability to use the same mags. Think Glock double stack 9mms or M&Ps the same way. But make sure that the generations are close to the same. I have some gen 3 glock mags that don't work in a gen 5.
samnev

Post by samnev »

TacMedic wrote: April 10th, 2020, 10:42 pm My family has one of each gun for each family member. Magazines are interchangeable, same ammo for whole family. Each has their own AR, handgun, and .22 rifle/handgun as well. Multiples are good in my opinion.
Similarly equipped with my family. :D
boulder
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by boulder »

The best source of spare parts is another gun. Also, it is nice to have a clean one ready when you have just been to the range and mags stay interchangeable.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hmm, a clean gun, never heard of such a thing, hehehe
Rj
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

How else can you look cool dual-wielding unless you have two of the same firearms.
pojv

Post by pojv »

It is also easier to will once you die as you young ones will not feel cheated as they all get the same gun.
Roneyj

Post by Roneyj »

And I thought maybe the idea of multiples was overkill. Looks like it is more common than I thought. I guess I need to go shopping.