Ben Avery - closed

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Ben Avery - closed

Post by Tenring »

82echo wrote: May 13th, 2020, 5:17 pm Went out there this afternoon. As you might expect, they weren't very busy. Got there a bit early for the appointment, one of the range masters gave me a tour.

Basically, every other table is closed. There is a section for handguns and another section for rifles. The difference being how far out the targets are. Only one shooter can be at the table, except for the section devoted to families. The logic being, say a father is teaching his young son how to shoot.

You can bring out as many firearms as you want. However, only two can be uncased on the table at any one time. He explained to me that when they do the cease fire at 10 minutes before the hour, they want to shooter to be able to case up quickly so the next shooter with a reservation can get the table quickly.

It was interesting, they are going to a lot of trouble to keep everyone as separated as possible. To be honest, I felt a lot safer out there than I do at the grocery store. Shot for an hour, had a good time.
Thanks for the update

deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

So I can at least go do some testing, etc now. That's good.
Java Junkie
Banned
Banned

Post by Java Junkie »

Has there been any changes at Ben Avery? Have they opened up the paper target range? Is it still by reservation?
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Stopped by yesterday, still by reservation only and as 82echo posted above.
There are only 30 tables available, 10 each hangun, rifle and jr tables.
I ask when things might be back to normal, they had no idea.
mallic

Post by mallic »

All of these new restrictions made me give up on BA for now and go get a PR&G membership >_<
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Limper »

Just came back from Ben Avery to try to re-verify some zeros on a couple of iron-sighted rifles (M1A: 300yd and AR-15: 200 yd). Was able to approximately verify the zero but not specifically. Unless you were the first person to shoot the steel (100/150/200 yds) when the paint is fresh, you can't tell which hits are yours. One of the smaller 150 yard steel only had a few hits so I was able to utilize it a little bit. I was able to get a little bit of practical practice by using it as a simple stage (near to far, repeat). I didn't shoot any pistols but the closer targets are full size IPSC steel targets so would be useful for sighting a pistol perhaps.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

@Limper What size and distance are the smallest steel plates? I call today and the lady on the phone did not know.
Limper

Post by Limper »

They had two sizes at 100 and 150. And three sizes at 200 yards. I only had a 6x range finder for an optic to go with my iron-sighted rifles. I would guess that the smallest plates were 6 inches.
82echo

Post by 82echo »

Limper wrote: June 4th, 2020, 12:02 pm Just came back from Ben Avery to try to re-verify some zeros on a couple of iron-sighted rifles (M1A: 300yd and AR-15: 200 yd). Was able to approximately verify the zero but not specifically. Unless you were the first person to shoot the steel (100/150/200 yds) when the paint is fresh, you can't tell which hits are yours. One of the smaller 150 yard steel only had a few hits so I was able to utilize it a little bit. I was able to get a little bit of practical practice by using it as a simple stage (near to far, repeat). I didn't shoot any pistols but the closer targets are full size IPSC steel targets so would be useful for sighting a pistol perhaps.
Tell the range master running the tower you are trying to zero a rifle. At the next cease fire, they will paint which ever steel targets you want.
Limper

Post by Limper »

That is a very good tip. Thank you very much.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Problem is then you would have too book for two shooting slots. No cease fire until change in shooters/shooting slots.
82echo

Post by 82echo »

Tenring wrote: June 5th, 2020, 5:31 pm Problem is then you would have too book for two shooting slots. No cease fire until change in shooters/shooting slots.
Good point. I suppose if you got there a bit before the cease fire, you could tell them just before the cease fire?
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Ha Ha...I have no idea what to make of anything anymore (craziness everywhere) ...........I am going tomorrow with some pretty new shooters they want to try out their new blasters, going to ask if we can get three tables together, hope that is not to much to ask. :confusion-shrug:
slapiron

Post by slapiron »

Plinkling at steel plates is fun for about 15 minutes then it gets kinda boring. Can't wait to be able to set up your own targets. Probably gonna be a while yet.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Tenring wrote: June 5th, 2020, 6:06 pm Ha Ha...I have no idea what to make of anything anymore (craziness everywhere) ...........I am going tomorrow with some pretty new shooters they want to try out their new blasters, going to ask if we can get three tables together, hope that is not to much to ask. :confusion-shrug:
Any updates of how things went for you and your group