Ammo Hoarding

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
toepopper
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Ammo Hoarding

Post by toepopper »

There is no such thing as hording ammo. you keep enough to make you feel secure and comfortable. 10,20,30K is just a number.

Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I know I've said this somewhere on here. You should have 2 groups of ammo in your home.
WAR STOCK. Ammo you only use during time of war.
PRACTICE STOCK. Ammo you use for practice.
I have WAR STOCK weapons too. I have a Ar15 and g17 that only get zeroed every 6 months. Other wise they sit. I have others I shoot the sh!t out of.
The reason for war stock is that they are practically new not worn out when you need them.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I have a pretty good supply of pre panic 308,556, 9mm and 45 acp and components and powder. I have no plans to buying more.
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

My definitions (like anyone would care).

Prepper- Someone who buys items they actually use for when the time comes that you can no longer get them.

Hoarder- Someone who is constantly buying something with no intention of ever using whatever their buying. Huge stockpiles going to waste.

Gouger- Someone who has bought or is in the process of buying items just to make a profit when it is no longer available. Some might call this individual a shrewd investor.

Just my thoughts..YMMV.

dusty
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Now this is hoarding
AFD1DF25-6BED-49C1-9131-94E2FB8E921A.jpeg
77F54331-30C5-4BFF-8C6E-8DFFC04ED27A.jpeg
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

IMO, an insightful and important read.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/e ... ion/374730
It is important to understand that ammunition pricing is not set by what the ammunition costs to produce, rather it’s determined by what the next batch is going to cost to produce. The profit margin is a set percentage that’s typically going to remain constant as long as production costs remain constant. An important factor in production are labor costs, which are similarly constant unless demand increases or decreases and affects long-term projections. As you can imagine during this unprecedented event, costs are fluctuating dramatically.

Due to factors beyond the control of the ammunition companies, the cost of components and raw materials has more than doubled within the last two weeks. Fiocchi and Vista Outdoors, for example) are two major ammunition manufacturing brands I’ll discuss. Fiocchi is shut down for commercial business and operating with minimal staffing for their military customers. Vista Outdoors is up and running, but they are fervently working to catch up to an unstable market that went berserk. Even with a redirection of resources and a recent price hike to cover it, it’s going to take time before covering their adjusted costs with respect to their actual output stabilizes.

It’s also worthwhile to consider how Covid-19 is affecting the smaller small arms and ammunition providers. Turkey, home to the manufacture of much of the imported shotguns and handguns has been getting frisky with Syria. Even if Turkey’s munitions factories could bear some of the production output in support of their American clients, the shipping ports are generally closed. The same applies to our allies in the Czech Republic. The Czechs could be sitting on mountains of propellant powder, but there is no way to get it to us. Russian-sourced ammo and components are also affected.
In a best-case scenario, it takes more than 20 days for a shipping container to arrive to the U.S. from any of those locations. If cargo has to arrive on the west coast, shipping can take more than 30 days. Plus, a typical minimum of five to 10 days is required to embark and disembark on each side of the trip. So, once the ports reopen, a realistic time frame to see supply levels return to normal is two months — just to get the ammo to U.S. distributors. And that’s if those foreign manufacturing continue to manufacture their product and have them crated, bonded and stocked. According to Fiocchi, that that’s not likely. So figure another 15 to 30 days to get return to manufacturing again if they have the raw components, which they may not because closed ports affect obtaining raw materials, too.

To add to the delay, gun owners are looking at empty shelves, which require massive orders in order to restock. Those orders don’t get processed or ship to retailers all at once, and the same people who are stocking up now are going to continue swooping in once the first shipments of popular loads become available. Folks, we’re looking at a return of the Obama-era run on ammunition where we saw people fighting each over boxes of rimfire.
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

I will have a better idea tomorrow after my faulty ammo safe gets opened !!
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Gotta buy when cheap and stack it deep to support your addiction through rough times like these. Yes I can not carry all that I have in a SHTF situation but I still like to shoot so I make sure I have enough that can carry me through until things stabilize.

I kinda agree we are going to see it worsen before it gets better. IMO The election will determine if this turns into an Obama level craze or not
DeputyDan
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by DeputyDan »

Hoarding is subjective to each person. Its dependent on what someone would use monthly. When people bulk buy 1000s of rounds where they only shoot once every 6 months they begin to induce shortages. But if someone goes through thousands of rounds in a few months, buying bulk isn't hoarding
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

DeputyDan wrote: April 9th, 2020, 8:22 pm Hoarding is subjective to each person. Its dependent on what someone would use monthly. When people bulk buy 1000s of rounds where they only shoot once every 6 months they begin to induce shortages. But if someone goes through thousands of rounds in a few months, buying bulk isn't hoarding
Am I getting this right ?
If someone buys 1000's of rounds and stash it , they induce shortages , but if someone buys the same 1000's of rounds and shoots them , they don't induce shortages.
Is this correct ?
DeputyDan

Post by DeputyDan »

I guess you are right. Its the same across the board. Its the want and need just can't keep up currently. The last time there was a panic how long did it take for it to die down? And will it die down prior to election scares?
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

It’s not called hoarding, it’s called a “strategic stockpile” :)
Robertsm

Post by Robertsm »

1000rds doesn’t last long if your holding down a position.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Joelgas1 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 6:48 pm It’s not called hoarding, it’s called a “strategic stockpile” :)
and there you have it, if you don't have at least 20 k of each round you utilize, well then.................. :naughty:
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

and there you have it, if you don't have at least 20 k of each round you utilize, well then.................. :naughty:
[/quote]

Well said :clap: