4 Year old boy and father shot in head when Glock falls out of holster , boy dies

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Ballistic Therapy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

4 Year old boy and father shot in head when Glock falls out of holster , boy dies

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

This is a sad story.
I could be wrong but there sure seams to be a lot of accidental shootings with Glocks.
Let the speculations begin.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ol ... g-with-dad

Flash

Re: 4 Year old boy and father shot in head when Glock falls out of holster , boy dies

Post by Flash »

Maybe it didn't go off when it fell. Maybe the father is covering something else up.
Boriqua

Re: 4 Year old boy and father shot in head when Glock falls out of holster , boy dies

Post by Boriqua »

I read the story a day or so ago at a couple of sources and I don't recall ever seeing anything regarding a holster. I came to the conclusion he just jammed it in his pants.

Sure it still shouldn't go off if dropped but .. I try and not depend on mechanical safety features in lew of common sense.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

When I felt I had to have a plastic pistol, decades ago, I handled a Glock, and then I commented to the guy behind the counter how I felt that the so-called "trigger safety" had to be the biggest joke, or, con job,.... in the firearm industry, to date.

When he asked "Why?" I told him, anything that can get inside of the trigger guard and activate a regular trigger, will do the same with this BS Glock trigger safety.

As stated above,... common sense is our best safety!

Even though the Glock turned me off, regardless of the "trigger safety",...
I went with the Steyr, which had the same stupid trigger safety,... which was understandable, since one of the designers of the Steyr came from the Glock camp.

I have no thumb safety on my M&P Shield, but I have a pocket kydex holster that COMPLETELY and SECURELY covers the entire trigger guard,... nothing can get the that trigger,... period.

I couldn't get the same kydex for my latest piece, a pocket 22lr w/pop up barrel,... so, I went with this,...

https://garrisongrip.com/micro-trigger-stop-holster/

I had to wrap some tape on it, to get a better fit, but, with a thumb safety and this "behind then trigger safety", I feel no need for one of the loose ballistic material pocket holsters I have in the storage drawer.

No one knows exactly how this tragedy happened,... but the guy carrying,.... we can speculate and voice our opinions till the cows come in,... only the father knows the truth.
Last edited by shooter444 on January 27th, 2020, 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

The guy probably set it off trying to catch it as it fell or slid down his pants, I have never seen or heard of a glock being fired by gravity/impact alone.
Someone/something pulled the trigger.
The cheap f*** could have avoided this tragedy with a cheap ass $15 nylon iwb holster.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Not buying it. Lots of cops, as well as other people drop their guns and they don't go off.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

sonofbp wrote: January 27th, 2020, 3:38 pm The guy probably set it off trying to catch it as it fell or slid down his pants, I have never seen or heard of a glock being fired by gravity/impact alone.
Someone/something pulled the trigger.
The cheap f*** could have avoided this tragedy with a cheap ass $15 nylon iwb holster.
Yea I keep reading " It was in the back of his pants" sure there are holsters that can work from there but .. sounds like it was just jammed in his belt. ANYTHING could have happened on its way out. Throw in maybe a shortened take up or lighter trigger and .. boom.

I didn't dig into the glocks I had since I didn't have them very long but at least on CZ pistols .. a lot would have to happen for the round to fire from a drop.
goodaim
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by goodaim »

Anyone seen the old ad when they drop the glock from the helicopter and it does not go off?
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I too tried a Grock and never trusted the trigger as the primary safety... plus the grip angle just wasn't right for me. When I finally went with a plastic striker fired pistol I chose the XD because of the 1911 style grip safety, the (can feel in the dark) loaded chamber indicator and the cocked indicator...
I still don't like their 'safety' trigger, it bites my finger... I'd prefer a pivoting one like the S&W.
Vyadmirer

Post by Vyadmirer »

So terrible....I couldn’t even imagine. Hope the guy gets some therapy. Any normal person would need it.
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

Short of messing with the trigger system, Glocks will not fire when dropped. The FBI in their testing dropped numerous Glocks from 10 feet up multiple times. They also have a test where they throw the gun 15 feet into a wall. In those test not once did a Glock fire.

If you look at the safe system, the firing in not fully loaded till the sear breaks.

What a horrible tragedy.

Dan...
GunNut

Post by GunNut »

Horrible tragedy but unlikely the Glock just went off when dropped
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

Trying to blame an inanimate object, I don't buy it. What a lot of people don't understand with Glocks is the striker is only half the distance from the breech face and when you pull the trigger you are pulling it rearward (against spring pressure) the rest of the way and releasing it so it has enough energy (powered by a spring) to set off the primer. For a Glock to fire when dropped the trigger safety has to be depressed and then the trigger bar needs to be drawn back far enough and released so it will fire the primer. The "dropped" pistol would have to be "falling" at an extremely fast rate in order to have the trigger bar (very light weight) continue moving rearward (against spring pressure) when the whole gun stops when it hits the ground. That also assumes the gun hits at a perfect angle on the back of the slide.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

There is also the striker block that has to be raised fully by the complete movement of the trigger bar to the rear before the striker can move forward enough to hit the primer. As usual, when something like that happens, the gun is to blame, not the operator.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Not buying it