Question for a friend...

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Bottom Gun
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Question for a friend...

Post by Bottom Gun »

What about a pistol in .357 Sig? Less recoil than a .357 revolver and higher round capacity in most cases.

shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I was trying to find the article about an Inuit woman who killed a polar bear with a 22lr, many years ago,... but only came across this instead.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella- ... z6CA6sxtUm

My back woods packing pardner, of many decades, has a ranger friend that has the job of killing bad/rouge bears. He uses a 357mag revolver. He has a pretty good set of eggs, from what my buddy tells me. His MO is to let the bear charge him, stand his ground, and when the bear stands to try and intimidate him, he puts a 125 grain 357 in its throat, breaking the spine at the neck.

If my buddy didn't confirm this tactic, by going with him one day,... I would have had my doubts.

Bottom line, a maxed out 357mag load should be able to take anything in north america, imo.
deanq

Post by deanq »

Is your friend an avid/experienced shooter? I know a lot here are advising a .357 revolver. While I agree with the small revolver concept, I highly disagree with the .357 Mag recommendation.
A small airweight frame revolver in at most, .38 Special would be more manageable for an inexperienced, older shooter. Even that will have considerable recoil in a small, lightweight revolver.
Anything bigger will probably be less likely to be carried due to the weight. I've killed lions with and without dogs, they aren't hard to kill.
I'd be more worried about 2 legged predators myself.
JMHO
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

" While he hasn't seen any mountain lions he was told they are there. "

azski2,... I have packed horses and ridden for pleasure, up in the Chiricahua Mountains for more than a quarter century. The Chiricahuas have a reputation for having more black bear than most any other mountain range, I have heard about in Az.. I believe cats are just as abundant up there, as well.

The one thing I have learned about cats, over the decades of packing, is,... seeing one is not likely, and one that has you as a target, certainly will not be seen, unless you were born under a lucky star. In the amount of time I have frequented the Chiricahuas, I have seen one bear, but, not one cat. Being that most times guys only see a cat in the last few feet they are charging you, or, running away,... I prefer to keep my seeing them, as it is.

Now, I must clarify a bit,... my mountain mare has saved my ass from myself more than once. I have learned to trust her instincts, more than mine. I have turned away from places she has told me were not good to go, more than I can count, in the past 15 years I have ridden her, but, I can't declare whether any of the instances were do to a cat, or, not,... and that is a good thing, to me, imo!

I would advise you, to tell your bud, to, not only get a six gun, but, bring someone he trusts to cover his six, while he does the same for him/her. And advise him that cats rarely let you know they are around, unless you are in their den area, or, near a recent kill,... jmo.
Last edited by shooter444 on February 1st, 2020, 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I live pretty much on the eastern edge of south mountain. Seen plenty of yotes and more than a few snakes. Only seen 2 cats. And those were many years ago, before ahwatukee expanded westward past 32nd.

A warm 38 or 357 in a 3"-4" should be fine.
azski

Post by azski »

Thanks everyone for the information! I relayed everything to my friend.

azski (Bill)
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have seen mountain lions in just about every mountain range in southern Arizona at one time or another.
I have even seen them in the lower desert.
I have killed a few over the years.
They are out there if you spend time and hunt for them.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Joe Biden recommends a shotgun.