Question for a friend...

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
azski2
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Question for a friend...

Post by azski2 »

A retired friend of mine lives in Ahwatukee and hikes in the South Mountain area. While he hasn't seen any mountain lions he was told they are there. He wants to know what caliber revolver/pistol he should carry to defend himself. He's a thin 70+ year old so he doesn't want something too big or powerful that might hurt him. He also said there are a lot of liberals around him so he wants one that is also conceilable.

Any suggestions? I thought a .357 revolver but would like other options for him to try out.

Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Question for a friend...

Post by Basher »

I think you’re on the right track with a .357. Honestly, shot placement will be key as with anything else, but a well-placed .357 should do the job fairly reliably without being too abusive on recoil. He might get by with some hot .38SPL, but that would be a personal decision.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

A .357 would work just fine.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Ruger SP101 in 357mag/38spl.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

There is thin and frail and then there is just thin. .357 can be a handful and I am going to go out on a limb but it sounds like he may not have a lot of experience with firearms and there will be a learning curve to .357

I think an sp101 is a fine choice as its hefty enough to absorb recoil but not so heavy as to hate to bring it hiking. I would personally chose the 3". You can find them used pretty regular.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/quest ... nners-gun/

If he tries full blown .357 and its a bit much I might recommend

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collectio ... 5707524153

I call it Magnum light. Its a sturdy round but not with the flash and kick of .357 and for me about half the noise. Its my nightstand round because of the low flash and somewhat low noise and then I swap it out for .357 when out and about.

Good size lion I think is about 150lbs .. the ammo I linked to will do a fine job and allow for a rapid follow up.

Having said all that .. I used to hike the south mountain area A LOT! Even at night. Except for a few stray coyote .. I found it pretty devoid of any good animal life.

Seen some interesting things in Cave creek and Tanto but south mountain while having good hiking trails is kind of scrubby. I dont think I have even ever run across a snake there. Still .. a small steel revolver is small insurance and I dont go hiking anywhere with out gun.

For carry .. My 2 cents .. go leather because it breaks in and forms some to the body and in the heat of AZ the smallest spur on plastic can ruin a trip. Make sure it is either tightly boned or has a thumb break because as anyone who hikes can tell you .. sometime you fall down .. wouldnt want your gun skittering across the trail.
Last edited by Boriqua on January 25th, 2020, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

A couple of years ago, I discovered that Remington Golden Sabre 125-grain .357 Magnum is actually a "mid-range" load, even though they don't advertise it as such. It chronos around 1250 fps, significantly faster than any .38 +P, but much less than "normal" .357/125, which typically come out around 1450.
azski2

Post by azski2 »

Thanks everyone for the info!
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Agreed, 357 and a rape whistle
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

shooter444 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:21 pm Ruger SP101 in 357mag/38spl.
Ditto...
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Remembering cats like to attack from behind.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I fifteenth the Ruger SP101 recommendation however I might go for the 4" for a couple of reasons...
He can practice with 38 Spl, but don't let him forget why he has to to clean any carbon ring out of the chambers afterward...

I found that as my eyes aged, I had a much harder time sighting down my 3" guns than I do the 4" & 6". I wasn't as accurate with the short barrels. Also with the possibility of mid-range loads being used, the velocity won't drop off as much- there is a lot of hide and muscle to go thru that the average thief doesn't typically have and many HP need velocity for expansion and penetration... also the slight extra weight will help with the recoil management.

A 4" is just as easy to conceal as a 3", but for hiking I would open carry and let the libbys be damned... if they say anything I would just respond that I hope they have a safe walk and to not call me for help if they have a animal attack problem... that will give them something to think about on their way back to the car and every-time they read about one in the news...
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I agree on the 4".

I have one and it is well balanced and not difficult to carry, they are extremely well made and manageable pretty much no matter what round you choose.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Yup! If I ever went back to 357/38 it would be a 4", or 6",... even if I were to CC, a 4" barrel length has not been that much of a problem for me.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Crippledtrigger wrote: January 25th, 2020, 11:07 pm Remembering cats like to attack from behind.
No problem: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6127
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

A few years ago some folks reportedly killed a mountain lion near the Sunset rest area with 10 shots from a .22 pistol. Not recommending it, but it can be done. 357 will do the job, but smaller ones work, too.