Video from inside church shooting in Texas

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Video from inside church shooting in Texas

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Far be it from ME joking about typos but...

347 sig!

smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

OK, after watching the video a few times, here is my take:

What can we learn from watching this video that might help us do better, if and when our turn comes?

The hero shooter, Jack Wilson, said in an interview that the whole team “had eyes on” the BG as soon as he came into the church. They had had previous contacts with him, and knew he was a nutcase. They saw the wig and fake beard, and were on alert. That means they were (or should have been) in Condition Orange (a specific object of attention, as opposed to Condition Yellow, which is general awareness).

The BG engages one of the church members, Anton Wallace, in what appears to be agitated conversation. You can see other people turn to look, so the voice must have been disruptive, attracting their attention. That’s a red alert; trouble is brewing. At that point, every one of the armed people should have gone to “staged” position – Step One of the draw – hand on gun, support hand up at belt level ready to receive. They should have been moving into position to have a clear shot.

The BG shows his gun, pointing it at Wallace. At that point, Richard White stands up and starts trying to draw. Again, he should already have been on his feet, with his hand on his gun and support hand in receive position. Step One of the draw is to get your hand on your gun, but he appears to have trouble doing that, reaching around trying to find the damn thing. Probably not enough reps, and he appears to have been wearing the gun too far back. From the time he starts reaching for his gun until the time he is shot is about three seconds, and he never does get his gun into firing position. Man, that is slow. If he had drawn and fired – accurately - in two seconds (something most of us can do), he likely would have saved his life and Wallace’s life. Why was he so slow? Maybe it was poor technique; maybe he had just never practiced drawing. Notice his support hand never comes up, so it’s possible he never learned that skill. It’s also possible that his slowness was a matter of Mental Conditioning. I wonder if he couldn’t really believe it was happening. He may have been drawing hesitantly: “Is this really happening? Should I be drawing? Will I look foolish and be embarrassed if people see me drawing my gun in church? Do I have time to draw on a drawn gun? Maybe if I move slowly he won’t realize I am drawing and I can surprise him.” Jeff Cooper’s Principle Two of the seven Principles of Personal Defense is Decisiveness. Once you have decided to draw, then don’t second-guess yourself; draw. Principle Four is Speed. Maybe a two-second draw (with accurate shot) would not have been fast enough, but we know for sure that three-plus seconds was too slow.

As soon as he shoots Richard White, the BG turns toward Anton Wallace, the man he had been speaking to, and shoots him. Assuming Wallace was not carrying a gun, what could he have done that might have saved his life? Most here know the answer – charge. Violent counter-attack. Charge forward and knock the BG down with your body weight. Drive your thumbs into his eyes. Did Wallace have time to do that? Yes – there was a second or more when the gun was aimed at White. He could have covered that distance and knocked the BG down in that time. However, unlike you, he did not know that. Instead, he backed up a step, which does nothing good.

Along comes Jack Wilson. As soon as the first shot goes off, killing White, Wilson begins his draw. From the time of the BG’s first shot, and Wilson’s shot, is about 3 seconds. That is excellent shooting – excellent speed considering the distance, and outstanding accuracy (head shot at 12-14 yards, by my estimate). However, you can see him go on alert when the arguing starts, and again when he sees the BG’s gun. He could have had his hand on his gun earlier. He could have begun his draw as soon as he saw the BG’s gun, rather than when he heard/saw the shot. He could have moved in closer when the arguing started, to get in position for an easier shot.

At that point, the other armed people in the congregation get up and start showing their guns. Some of them point their guns all over the place, as in they point their guns at the other parishioners. Some of them have their guns in one hand instead of two. Lots of unsafe gun handling going on there.

The sheep in the flock neither Run, nor Hide, nor Fight. Instead, they all get down on the floor, which is the worst thing you can do. You just make yourself an easy target. I’m not a big fan of Run or Hide, but those are certainly better than Get Down On The Floor And Wait Your Turn To Be Shot.

There is a woman who begins running around randomly, screaming. It appears to be that she is related to one of the victims, either White or Wallace, and she is distraught. I blame her not one bit for that, but we need to be aware that there are going to be hysterical people running around, and we must not shoot them accidentally or mistakenly.

I’ll let you know if I think of anything else.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

gee can't wait to hear the synopsis

like a after event new caster explaining what the politician said