Desert shooting spot closest to north Phoenix

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Desert shooting spot closest to north Phoenix

Post by shooter444 »

xerts1191 "people buying firearms and a box of ammo and heading straight to the desert to see if they figure out how to operate what they’ve just purchased."

--------------------------------------

Yup,... back when,...I had a spot I frequented often up on the Tonto, only to find either a couple guys there who were more into showing off their pieces, or, guys coming in who seemed to be confused on their pieces operation.

Both scenarios led me to just pack up and head home.

Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Are they on a different list?
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Crippledtrigger wrote: December 26th, 2019, 12:24 pm Are they on a different list?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Buggydave

Post by Buggydave »

What's kind of ironic is to hear people complain about 2nd Amendment rights and that ANYONE should be allowed to buy guns if they want, then complain about these "Assholes" going out into the desert to shoot them! Yes, a lot of gun buyers/owners are irresponsible people, but do you want a background check on their ability to pick up trash? I have a few places I go when I want to shoot, one not too far from east valley but can have a-holes but only go for a quick shoot, and favorite about 80 miles West of Phx, then 15 miles down a dirt road. Never anyone there! That's usually a weekend trip, and bowling ball mortor shooting spot! :)
Crippledtrigger

It has nothing to do with shooting or owning. It's the abdication of responsibility to the gun community and stewardship of resources that makes them an arshole.

Simply buying a couple cheap tarps and putting one under the shooting table and another under the target and simply pulling the corners together and tossing it as you leave is not too much to ask. It's less work than loading mags.

No one wants a background check. They want adults to act that way or they can go elsewhere because believe it or not, it's not gun people shutting down shooting spots. We would and do clean them up regularly. Its the anti gunners and enviro-nazis taking advantage of every opportunity to oppress gun people. Frankly they got something legit to b**** about here and it's our responsibility to self regulate or lose.

Much like we b**** about the literal dump sites illegals make out of pristine land we used to hunt and camp on, gun owners are responsible for doing the same to shooting sites.

So ya, you dont s*** where you shoot. To paraphrase a cliche.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Buggydave,... I think most complaints are actually concern for safety,... at least it was for me.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Buggydave wrote: December 26th, 2019, 9:55 pm What's kind of ironic is to hear people complain about 2nd Amendment rights and that ANYONE should be allowed to buy guns if they want, then complain about these "Assholes" going out into the desert to shoot them! …... ...and favorite about 80 miles West of Phx, then 15 miles down a dirt road. Never anyone there! That's usually a weekend trip, and bowling ball mortor shooting spot! :)
These are not a mutually exclusive issues, one negating the other. "Universal Background checks" have little law enforcement value, lead to additional violations of existing federal law, and ultimately will lead to confiscation even if only one individual at a time under "red flag laws"

The big issues here are safety and turning shooting locations into garbage dumps. I'm curious, who goes out to locate and retrieve the bowling balls you launch out in the desert?

Hopefully you can see there is no irony in the discussion.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

YNOTAZ wrote: December 27th, 2019, 11:06 am I'm curious, who goes out to locate and retrieve the bowling balls you launch out in the desert?
Normally its the shooter of bowling balls that retrieve their "Projectiles". You just can't run down to a LGS and buy a box of bowling ball ammo !
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I’m certain they retrieve them. I will keep my eyes open for some guy walking several hundred yards cross country in the desert carrying four 16# bowling balls. :D :D :D

If you recall, from the original site, we had a member who ran a bowling alley and they disposed of badly scarred house balls. I never needed balls but my interest was in their old bowling pins. One time, he stacked up about 40 cases out back of the alley and gave a first come first serve call to pick up as many as we wanted. That was several years ago.

I took a truck load of pins and I think we still have about 3 unused cases, out on Pistol Pete’s private property, where we can shoot and splinter them up all we want without trashing up the desert.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yeah, i grabbed a few cases also, but had a couple from years gone by i'd purchased. and we used to set them up and have little contests on distance shooting with pistol, and will probably still do, they sure can take a beating for sure.
fun to shoot

yep, desert shooting is the best, probably oughta enjoy it while you can, the slobs who leave their trash and casings will destroy it for the responsible ones. kinda a bummer, hate them fools
Rj happy to be here
madmike

Post by madmike »

Anything in the Marana area?
Crippledtrigger

madmike wrote: December 28th, 2019, 8:27 pm Anything in the Marana area?
Libtards.
redj

Post by redj »

Crippledtrigger wrote: December 29th, 2019, 5:03 am
madmike wrote: December 28th, 2019, 8:27 pm Anything in the Marana area?
Libtards.
It's obvious you know nothing about Marana.
Crippledtrigger

Marana, mostly in phuktard county Az with a small part in pinal county. The relevant part of this discussion is who is administering the land in the area. Libtards. You are limited in shooting locations based on expansion of various gov managed or controlled entities illegals and drug mules.

I'm sure there used to be lots of places to shoot, all of which are under attack by the items I listed above. Or by the piss poor stewardship of shooters.

The worst thing you can do is pass on shooting sites to people you dont know online. Sorry, but at this point they should have to at least be vouched for before they get that info. Were loosing too fast. I'm an AZ native and still shoot in AZ a dozen times a year and will be back living full time in a couple years. Weve lost too much to retards and selfish yahoos who care not about the damage they do.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

CT nailed it.