YOU CAN'T SHOOT THAT!!

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Doc Holliday
ArizonaShooting.org Member

YOU CAN'T SHOOT THAT!!

Post by Doc Holliday »

Rio Salado this morning...

While putting up a poster-sized professionally-printed target of Saddam Hussein...yes, SADDAM HUSSEIN, a Range Officer came over and told me 'You can't shoot that'...no targets depicting persons allowed at all...no matter how evil, how twisted, how homicidal...you can't shoot at paper and ink representations of them. :roll:

Took my target down, packed up and went over to the Range Office... :angry-cussingblack:

Was told they adopted this policy because 'they have children at the range' and decided it was for the best to not let the children see that. :naughty:

I unleashed a well-versed barrage against 'pc culture' (with a smile) and got my range fee back.

Now, this never used to be the case there...I was a member some years back, used to shoot there all the time with these targets...no problem...so this is just another example of Liberalism creeping into our shooting sports...'for the children'... :violin:

Looks like it's the long drive down to Casa for the open range there...

DRTDIVR

Re: YOU CAN'T SHOOT THAT!!

Post by DRTDIVR »

I am not a Rio Salado fan. The main range is a nightmare. It's gotten worse every year as more people buy guns but neglect getting real training instead they focus on how bad it is for the kids to see you shooting zombies and terrorists in the range. It's not hard for parents to explain it's an evil terrorist. I used to have a membership but it was to get access to private bays and other "member only" ranges but the process to gain access was soo convoluted that after competing in several matches(part of the requirements) they could never get me with the right people to get the endorsement on the back of the membership.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

The last time I went to Rio was about 10 years ago, and I thought it sucked then.
82echo

Post by 82echo »

A lot of ranges are adopting the same.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Most ranges won't let you shoot pictures of people...this isn't uncommon. Maybe next time you should just use another target...
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Every day it's some new bullcrap with the PC crybabies. You'd think it wouldn't be with gun people, but it's creeping into everything. Another reason the desert is my gun range.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

That's one reason ( amongst others ) I don't go to public gun ranges.
I do my shooting in the desert or on private land.
The last range I was on was in the military , and that seems like it was a lifetime ago. 
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I understand the rule. Some yahoo is going to bring a picture of the pope, or Trump, or George Washington, and an argument will ensue. Arguments on gun ranges are best avoided.

That said, yeah, Rio range officers suck.
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Casa Grande is my best option, having no friends with "huuuuge tracts of land" to shoot on! Worth the 1 hour 5 minute drive for me. The only problem comes with basic range manners - I leave once people start shooting my steel targets without asking and handling weapons "I'm just fixin' it!" while I'm downrange.

Sorry that happened to you, I'd love to shoot at a Sadam target.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

QuietM4 wrote: November 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm Most ranges won't let you shoot pictures of people...this isn't uncommon. Maybe next time you should just use another target...
No thanks...I don't cave into, or support, PC places like that. It would be sending them a message that I agree with their policy, which I don't. Then they'll take it a step further. And another. And another. What's next, they'll ban the silhouette targets? (representing a human outline) Enough of that stupidity.
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

I shoot @ CG weekly & have meet some problem shooters, but just a very few. Always watching our 6, but would do that where ever we/I go. It only takes one!
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

I used to work for a cable TV company. One thing they had and threw away a lot of was movie and series posters. Great , big , people targets. I always had a few in my trunk for when needed.
So I'm out at a Pima County range and next to me is a dad teaching 3 kids to shoot . All well behaved ,sitting quietly , waiting for their turn to shoot. Perfect picture .
So I get a poster of the Muppet Movie and ask the kids , You guys wanna shoot some Muppets ?
Well they all get excited , jump up and down , and start picking out who gets which Muppet to shoot at.
Well Dad puts up the poster and gets stopped by the Range officer who claimed they "looked like people" and that sent a bad message. Dad yelling back " Their freeking Muppets , not people " and kids are mad cuz they REALLY want to shoot some Muppets.
End result , poster went home with them for air rifle practice in the backyard where Dad was king of his own castle.
Last edited by needsmostuff on November 7th, 2019, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Hey it's not just targets. I was up there about 4 months ago shooting my 357 and 44. I set targets up close and continued to shoot. A range Natzi came over and asked what I was doing. I said shooting. My muzzle was over the red line. But my sights were not up to my eye line. He said are you using your sights? I said no I'm looking over my barrel. He said you have to use your sights. I said WTF. He said if you don't use your sights your off the range. I said by what rule. He said rule 14. I went and read the rule it says what ever the range officer says goes. I picked up my stuff and left. Never been back since. Now 14 I might be wrong but I think it was that one
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Rio sucks. I had one RO tell me that it was unsafe to point my rifle muzzle up when moving it from the bench to the rifle rack behind the line (something that has been required for the 22+ years I had been going there). Said I had to keep the muzzle pointed down rage at all times.

Asked him if he was ok with me muzzle sweeping the two tables and people at them that I would have to walk past to get to the rifle rack. Asked him if muzzle up was unsafe then why were the rifle racks configured to store rifles with muzzle up. He just responded that if I didn’t like his rules I could leave.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

They are the big east valley range. So no matter how poor they treat people, most people have no where else to shoot those distances unless they drive to the desert and many do not have a vehicle to do that. I would love to see someone build a gun club/range facility along the SanTan Mountains and take a lot of their traffic away from them.