Sales tax at PSA and SGAmmo

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
storage_man
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Sales tax at PSA and SGAmmo

Post by storage_man »

Such is life in the NEW Internet world - PAY THE MAN (no matter what).

Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

YNOTAZ wrote: October 11th, 2019, 5:48 am Will only benefit Internet dealers in no sales tax states. I don't know of any, yet.
The only ones left now are Oregon and Delaware
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

We have so much taxation already and it's only getting worse. It's just ridiculous how much they tax us. I've also noticed sales tax is getting up there. This will likely allow them to raise sales tax past 10% in the next few years.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Maricopa county residents crack me up with the taxes are high crap. Your property taxes are close to half of what we pay in Pima County for the same home value. It depends some on which school district you're in. I know, I've done the research. The rest of the state is subsidizing where the political power is.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

No one is going to do anything about (taxes, more laws, govt oppression, anything) as long as there's food and beer in the refrigerator and a movie or sports on tv.

I bet most Americans would sit back, flip channels and allow a 75% income tax.
Geekmedic

Post by Geekmedic »

I read about the change when it occurred. Honestly I was surprised it took that long for the states to be reaching into my pocket for more money.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

This was a bummer, but you were already supposed to pay "use tax" in Arizona for anything purchased that you didn't pay sales tax on. I don't know anyone who ever paid it though. It's supposed to level the playing field for local retailers and encourage keeping more money in the state.
Papago

Post by Papago »

One day we will tell our kids about the good old days when there was no tax on internet sales.
hardmack

Post by hardmack »

"kick my own ass story" but I had about a grand in the shopping cart at SGAMMO... saw they charged sales tax and went to look else where. After the ammo panic buys started in earnest, I checked by at SGA... saw I still had my cart loaded... and marveled at what a month can do to retail prices ;(
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

States where losing to much tax revenue to internet sales. The economic nexus law is another way that they can keep their hand in your pocket. States want their % and they're going to get it one way or another.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

QuietM4 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 5:37 am Yep. It started Oct 1. Every internet order will have it now.
Not all of them are doing it, they have to do over a certain dollar amount before they can be burdened with being a forced collection agent for all 50 states.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

AZ_Five56 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 10:06 am This was a bummer, but you were already supposed to pay "use tax" in Arizona for anything purchased that you didn't pay sales tax on. I don't know anyone who ever paid it though. It's supposed to level the playing field for local retailers and encourage keeping more money in the state.
I got nailed on it years ago, had to come up with something like 15K instantly or they threatened to come take my s***. It was when the PPA group of portrait photographers volunteered to pay sales tax to help the state and the ASMP photographers refused as we made the big money. They got it passed and I moved my office to LA and operated under the film laws of California. A former friend who got caught ratted out all the members of our association in exchange for not having to pay his. I forgot to put one item on my list and the state knew I owned it, he was the only one who knew I owned it. I told everyone he ratted them out, now he does school portraits. Got it all back when I sued my CPA and threatened his license for not telling me I had to pay it, firm wrote me a check and one to my lawyer.
Flash

Post by Flash »

There are currently 5 states with no sales tax:

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

338lapua wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 3:07 pm
AZ_Five56 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 10:06 am This was a bummer, but you were already supposed to pay "use tax" in Arizona for anything purchased that you didn't pay sales tax on. I don't know anyone who ever paid it though. It's supposed to level the playing field for local retailers and encourage keeping more money in the state.
I got nailed on it years ago, had to come up with something like 15K instantly or they threatened to come take my s***. It was when the PPA group of portrait photographers volunteered to pay sales tax to help the state and the ASMP photographers refused as we made the big money. They got it passed and I moved my office to LA and operated under the film laws of California. A former friend who got caught ratted out all the members of our association in exchange for not having to pay his. I forgot to put one item on my list and the state knew I owned it, he was the only one who knew I owned it. I told everyone he ratted them out, now he does school portraits. Got it all back when I sued my CPA and threatened his license for not telling me I had to pay it, firm wrote me a check and one to my lawyer.
That sucks that you were put in that position, but I'm glad you got it covered. Yeah, your CPA should have told you, but I'm surprised how many people don't know about it or ignore it altogether. I guess that's why they changed how things were done. No avoiding it now. I have a video production business, so I can relate. There's a lot of expensive equipment to pay sales tax on.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Yeah this really sucked when it went into effect. It made the online deals not so great anymore with tax on top of shipping.