MP5 mag in a AR-15

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

MP5 mag in a AR-15

Post by 338lapua »

I have always been a fan of the MP-5, it was the first machine gun I ever bought. I also have several Colt 9MM SMG's but have always hated the magazines. I have always loved the ease of loading MP-5 magazines. Last month I visited a local gun store and I stared at the wall for a while. There was a AR-15 with a MP-5 magazine sticking out of it. The store owner takes it off the wall and hands it to me and holy crap it was not just stuck in it, it belonged in it. Last week I ordered a lower and got it today. It does require a specific upper or be willing to get out the die grinder and make clearance for the magazine on your own. New Frontier Armory out of Vegas makes these and it is about $175 for a lower and about $120 for the upper but to be able to pull a magazine out of my MP=5 and stick it in my AR-15 it is well worth it. I will be ordering a few more of these soon including one of their side folders that uses MP-5 magazines.
IMG_7988.JPG

underw0rld

Re: MP5 mag in a AR-15

Post by underw0rld »

Too bad there is no paddle mag release for this
Razorback
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Razorback »

If you wanted 9mm why not stay with your mp5. A AR15 in 9 is cheaper in a modified uzi mag or glock mag.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

underw0rld wrote: October 6th, 2019, 2:48 pm Too bad there is no paddle mag release for this
I wish it had one too,
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Razorback wrote: October 7th, 2019, 10:14 am If you wanted 9mm why not stay with your mp5. A AR15 in 9 is cheaper in a modified uzi mag or glock mag.
Just because they make one I need one. Colt mags as well as the Glock mags hurt my arthritic hands loading them, MP-5 mags are much easier. Plus who cares if you beat a AR to death. They do require a upper that is cut to accept the MP-5 magazines.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well if you have old man hands I understand. What ever keeps you shoot.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

The solution to the Colt 9MM mag loading
COLT-LULA.jpg
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Razorback wrote: October 7th, 2019, 12:43 pm Well if you have old man hands I understand. What ever keeps you shoot.
I had a lot of fun over the years. My hands, wrists, elbows, hips, knees and ankles are all screwed with a capital F. Hands also have severe nerve damage so any day I can go to the range is a great day although I pay for every trip. The pads of my palms by my thumbs have been swollen for years. Dr tells me to stop shooting and stop playing guitar but I will go to my grave with a gun in one hand and a guitar in the other.

Took my Sig 220 to the range a few weeks ago, it was agony to say the least, 9mm is about it for me.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

delta6 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm The solution to the Colt 9MM mag loading

COLT-LULA.jpg
I pay someone who works for me to load mags for me. I always have extra ammo and end up shooting a few more mags at the range so the MP-5 mags in the AR-15 will help. I just ordered one of those loaders so my guys can load easier. May also look into a mag block for the Colts that uses MP-5 mags as well.