Good range to shoot at.

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
YNOTAZ
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Good range to shoot at.

Post by YNOTAZ »

I've had several encounters with "south of the border F***" also, including while in a group of 3 shooters where they sat back about 100 yds, occupants front and back seats, could see how many in the back because of tint. They watched for about 15 minutes, started driving towards us and thought, better of that as they got closer and saw our actions, turned and left. Now we joke about always keeping one firearm loaded in case we have to fight our way out.

Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

I first arrived here in AZ courtesy of the USAF back in 1987. A buddy and I went out to Miller Road to shoot, maybe the 2nd or 3rd time we'd been there. After shooting for awhile, a 4x4 came out of the desert, and approached us. We both had ARs (or some other EBR), which we slung on our shoulders, to appear less "aggressive". The guy gets out and waves, and walks over to us.

He introduces himself, he's a LEO, from Buckeye, IIRC. We shoot the breeze for a few, then he says that he just wanted to warn us...he points to a small wash about 50 yards off to the side, says he was out here shooting about 6 months ago...and discovered a headless torso laying in that wash.

He said that stuff like that happened on occasion...drug dealers dumping off bodies, and the like. He advised us to always keep a loaded firearm handy, besides the one you're currently shooting...and never run completely out of ammo, keep enough to get outta there!

I've always observed that precaution ever since then. Luckily, of course...I've never needed to utilize that particular precaution! ☺️👍
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I was a boy scout... when out in the desert,
I always carry a loaded pistol & 2 mags and an extra loaded mag for my rifle. Never run dry...
I always keep my ignition key with me.
Take plenty of water- a 2 qt canteen is good.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I go out to queen valley now.
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

I shoot @ CG and have had very few problems. Always carry side arm there just in case. stay away on the weekends. Offroading down this way carry 2 AR's and 2 pistols are standard equipment. Having a know what to do passenger is important...
Exorpmtech
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Exorpmtech »

338lapua wrote: September 30th, 2019, 1:32 pm Ben Avery sucks balls
Care to explain? The prices are decent, the range is clean, and all the staff seems pretty nice. I've always had a good experience there.
82echo

Post by 82echo »

Exorpmtech wrote: November 8th, 2019, 10:12 pm
338lapua wrote: September 30th, 2019, 1:32 pm Ben Avery sucks balls
Care to explain? The prices are decent, the range is clean, and all the staff seems pretty nice. I've always had a good experience there.
Was wondering the same. I haven't had any problems..
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I can help a little with an explanation:

About 90% of the range is closed to the public. If you want to use specialty ranges you have to join club, abide by their rules, and shoot on their schedule. If you are not a competitive shooter in whatever their discipline is , you are limited further by only being allowed to shoot on their practice dates. My best example is I have 2 custom Thompson Contenders. When MCC was in charge of the range I could go out and shoot metal silhouette rams with them whenever the range was open. Now the long range rifle club is the one running that range. Contenders are not rifles, and I don’t go there and practice to compete or be scored, I do it because I enjoy it.

Then there are the ROs. I understand safety and all that but damn don’t treat everyone like the lowest common denominator. You have a couple guys shooting a $23,000 full auto M16, a $43,000 MP5, and an $8,000 MAC, and give them crap about not having actions “OPEN” when the MAC is an open bolt SMG. And yes, be very loud about it while you making things “safe” but demonstrating your stupidity.

Then take a new build out that you have to tinker with spring, buffer weight, adjustable gas block and be limited to touching it only when the line is hot. Could take you half a day to try 3 or 4 different approaches to solve FTF or FTE

Then there is the picking up brass issue. Some ROs biatch about that. I don’t know if it is a rule or not, but I will pick up my 6.5 Creedmoor and 458 SOCOM.

I’m sure others that have gone there for many years can add to the list, but I just don’t need the hassle.

(Fixed a couple typos on reread.)
Last edited by YNOTAZ on November 9th, 2019, 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Tried to rate you on this but couldn't figure out how...THIS^^^^^^^^^
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

regarding Avery: " If you want to use specialty range you have to join club, abide by their rules, and shoot on their schedule. "

you don't actually have to "join" the club, you just have to show up and shoot with them. Desert Sharpshooters runs nearly all the events on the long (1000 yard) range, and basically everything they run is open to everyone, they don't even have "members". Tomorrow, 8AM is "600 Yards Practice & New Shooter Orientation."

http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/

But if they are running a 25 minute string at 600 yards and alternating shooting and pulling targets, you will shoot a 25 minute string at 600 and alternate shooting and pulling targets.

of the 600 employees at AZGFD I think only 2 have ever fired on Ben Avery's long range, or probably any of the specialty ranges for that matter. AZGFD simply does not have the expertise (with 1 exception) to run the specialty ranges, so they run public, archery & shotgun and the "user groups" (clubs) run all the other ranges.

My primary interest is competition shooting, if you have any questions about that post, PM or email.

Ya'll shoot good!

Poole
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

Poole
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Bill,
Will you guys be on the 200 anytime soon? I lucked into a matched mosin pu i may want to get ready for a vintage sniper match.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Bill Poole wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:12 pm You don't actually have to "join" the club, you just have to show up and shoot with them. Desert Sharpshooters runs nearly all the events on the long (1000 yard) range, and basically everything they run is open to everyone, they don't even have "members". Tomorrow, 8AM is "600 Yards Practice & New Shooter Orientation."
http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/
Bill,

Thanks for pointing out the exception to the membership requirement. I wasn't aware of it for the 600 & 1,000. I will watch the web site and may drop by.

Regards
Tony
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

THE ICEMAN wrote: October 4th, 2019, 1:00 am
338lapua wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 6:27 pm
Elk34 wrote: September 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm Someone would actually try to rob me while I'm shooting?
It has happened in the desert, especially when you are by yourself. I have had attempts made on both my camera gear and my guns. Both times by south of the border f***.
Hmmmm... Never had that happen to me & I have been shooting in the desert starting with my Dad & Brothers since the 60's... I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that's not been my experience. If anything, people I have run across while shooting have been very personable.

That having been said, I do, as a practice, save one loaded firearm for the trip home. Also agree with the others, always pack out what ya brung & a wee bit more...
I primarily use the desert as well and most we come across are usually very cordial. I've never been out alone though. Usually at least 2 to 4 of us. And I always have a loaded pistol on my person.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I chose to shot at a local indoor range but was out yesterday at superloaf and it was WILD. They have closed most parking in tanto and I think they closed hiking down closer to phoenix so there were dozens of people on those small 4 wheel off road vehicles, Dirt bikes and non stop gun fire.

Fun to watch. I have been out in this part of AZ for close to 6 years .. I have trampled a lot of dirt in that time. I have never seen it like that over there ever.

If you are going desert shooting .. I recommend you try during the week. Both places where I know they shoot outdoors near me were SLAMMED yesterday.
zebcoboy

Post by zebcoboy »

The people are good at Rio Salado Sportmans Club. Up to 200 yards. Well designed site. Limited access because of Covid. Every other bench is open so weekends are crowded. Afternoons are better if you can handle the heat.