Good range to shoot at.

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Good range to shoot at.

Post by Elk34 »

Hi y'all just moved here permanently and I'm weighing on should I go and find a good place in the desert to shoot or should I go the usery to shoot?

Manitu
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Good range to shoot at.

Post by Manitu »

Desert places are getting fewer but they exist. I gave up on them as sometimes pretty busy and no idiot is under supervision (dangerous). Usery is sometimes felt to have overly aggressive range officers. They have seen a lot of idiots and develop these hard ass rules some just cant live with. Safe and slow with cease fires and grumpy r.o. or wild west unless you can find a spot all to yourself. Good luck
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Ben Avery sucks balls, Phoenix Rod and gun club is a great private club in south Phoenix to shoot at but avoid the hours we are open for the public to shoot. Rio Salado is good in the east valley but I have heard they can be douches there just like Ben Avery. Desert is ok just be aware people may be shooting in multiple directions and don't ever run your gun dry, you may have to protect yourself or stop a thief from trying to rob you of your guns.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Someone would actually try to rob me while I'm shooting?
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Always keep a loaded one in your holster in the desert.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Good idea. Will do.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

If you head out to the desert, remember to pack out more than you brought in, most places you’ll find have become the dumping grounds for the infamous dirt shooter society
mtbr925
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by mtbr925 »

Xerts1191 you couldn't be more right....
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Some decent advice here. If i am out in desert I like to have a second person with me if nothing else than a second set of eyes and ears for when i am focused on the target. Also the pack out trash thing cant be more wisely said. Citizens are losing so much available land simply because land owners and the state are tired of the debris. Be a good steward.

As far as private ranges ben avery is good, sometimes the range people can be trying, there is a good range near buckeye and rio salado for the east side is the equivalant of ben avery. Phoenix rod and gun is a good one as well.

When you get to be more known here there is an active shooting group that may ask you to come
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Thanks for the information.
mongo45acp

Post by mongo45acp »

Joe Foss Shooting Complex! Inside the Buckeye Hills Recreation Area on SR-85 (mile marker 144) on the way to Gila Bend. (see link at: asrpa.com)

Watch yer 6!
Dave Renn
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Elk34 wrote: September 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm Someone would actually try to rob me while I'm shooting?
It has happened in the desert, especially when you are by yourself. I have had attempts made on both my camera gear and my guns. Both times by south of the border f***.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Lobo2087 wrote: September 30th, 2019, 7:34 pm Some decent advice here. If i am out in desert I like to have a second person with me if nothing else than a second set of eyes and ears for when i am focused on the target. Also the pack out trash thing cant be more wisely said. Citizens are losing so much available land simply because land owners and the state are tired of the debris. Be a good steward.

As far as private ranges ben avery is good, sometimes the range people can be trying, there is a good range near buckeye and rio salado for the east side is the equivalant of ben avery. Phoenix rod and gun is a good one as well.

When you get to be more known here there is an active shooting group that may ask you to come
PRGC during the week you are your own range master as well as RSO. If you see something dangerous call a immediate cease fire and go talk to the shooter. PRGC is also next to the police ranges and we have a keypad to access the property. It is fenced in and you can also shoot to 500 yards.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Go to Ben Avery on Thursday night around 6:30, drive through to the practical pistol range and stop in the building where everyone is checking in. Tell Terry you would like to shoot. They will set you up with a safety briefing and put someone experanced with you to shoot the stages. Even if you don't shoot that night, it is a hoot to watch USPSA practice matches. See you there.

https://www.cactusmatch.com
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

338lapua wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 6:27 pm
Elk34 wrote: September 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm Someone would actually try to rob me while I'm shooting?
It has happened in the desert, especially when you are by yourself. I have had attempts made on both my camera gear and my guns. Both times by south of the border f***.
Hmmmm... Never had that happen to me & I have been shooting in the desert starting with my Dad & Brothers since the 60's... I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that's not been my experience. If anything, people I have run across while shooting have been very personable.

That having been said, I do, as a practice, save one loaded firearm for the trip home. Also agree with the others, always pack out what ya brung & a wee bit more...