Looking for small inexpensive space for an FFL

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Racewin
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Looking for small inexpensive space for an FFL

Post by Racewin »

If I were to consider the home FFL route, anyone here whose brain I can pick? Or recommendation for someone I can call?

338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Racewin wrote: August 16th, 2020, 6:34 pm If I were to consider the home FFL route, anyone here whose brain I can pick? Or recommendation for someone I can call?
Almost every distributor I have dealt with required proof of a store front and photos from inside the store. Otherwise they will probably not sell to you as their other dealers with expenses like a store front will rip them new assholes for undercutting their business. Drive by the gun store on 35th ave and Waltan MLS arms and get the name of the landlord off the sign he is a very pro 2A guy. He has multiple properties and likes gun stores. He will probably buy from you as well.

I would not do a home FFL, too many restrictions depending on where you live. The guy who owned C3 did very well out of his rat hole store on 67th and greenway and after he moved until he screwed up.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

338lapua wrote: August 16th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Racewin wrote: August 16th, 2020, 6:34 pm If I were to consider the home FFL route, anyone here whose brain I can pick? Or recommendation for someone I can call?
Almost every distributor I have dealt with required proof of a store front and photos from inside the store. Otherwise they will probably not sell to you as their other dealers with expenses like a store front will rip them new assholes for undercutting their business. Drive by the gun store on 35th ave and Waltan MLS arms and get the name of the landlord off the sign he is a very pro 2A guy. He has multiple properties and likes gun stores. He will probably buy from you as well.

I would not do a home FFL, too many restrictions depending on where you live. The guy who owned C3 did very well out of his rat hole store on 67th and greenway and after he moved until he screwed up.
I hear what you are saying. The cost of rent, utilities, etc. would likely be cost prohibitive. If I have to start small with this as a side business selling used guns and doing transfers, I'm willing to do that.
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

Know a couple of guys who run one man businesses. They rent office/shop space from existing businesses. The busness gets $$ from excess space and they get low rent, a front office presence to accept deliveries, and they are free from all the utilities/taxes paperwork. Not sure how you can find that opportunity, but it seems like a sweet set up.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Winmagbill wrote: August 17th, 2020, 7:12 am Know a couple of guys who run one man businesses. They rent office/shop space from existing businesses. The busness gets $$ from excess space and they get low rent, a front office presence to accept deliveries, and they are free from all the utilities/taxes paperwork. Not sure how you can find that opportunity, but it seems like a sweet set up.
This is the type of deal I had years ago when I was an FFL dealer back in Colorado. I had rented an unused space from an automotive company that had a huge building with excess room. I walled off my rented area for security and ran my FFL business out of there for almost 6 years. It was nice deal rent wise plus the automotive company already had a good security system in place for the entire building.

It worked out well as someone was always there for UPS pick up/deliveries. I wasn't always there during normal business hours but someone was still there to handout my contact info. I had regular business hours but they were limited to 4 days a week so that was handy especially until I got things established.

I actually got the idea from my gunsmith as he had his rented work space in the back of another business's shop. These types of deals will require plenty of inquiries and legwork to put together but they would benefit all parties involved if you can find a match up.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

There are executive office suites all over town, look into one, we rent them in anthem, always full with a waiting list.

put the word out with some brokers and walla, space be found
Rj
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

knockonit wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:51 am There are executive office suites all over town, look into one, we rent them in anthem, always full with a waiting list.

put the word out with some brokers and walla, space be found
Rj
What are average monthly rates?
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lot of it depends on location, and size of suite. typically 400 up
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Winmagbill wrote: August 17th, 2020, 7:12 am Know a couple of guys who run one man businesses. They rent office/shop space from existing businesses. The busness gets $$ from excess space and they get low rent, a front office presence to accept deliveries, and they are free from all the utilities/taxes paperwork. Not sure how you can find that opportunity, but it seems like a sweet set up.
brandyspaw wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:25 am
This is the type of deal I had years ago when I was an FFL dealer back in Colorado. I had rented an unused space from an automotive company that had a huge building with excess room. I walled off my rented area for security and ran my FFL business out of there for almost 6 years. It was nice deal rent wise plus the automotive company already had a good security system in place for the entire building.

It worked out well as someone was always there for UPS pick up/deliveries. I wasn't always there during normal business hours but someone was still there to handout my contact info. I had regular business hours but they were limited to 4 days a week so that was handy especially until I got things established.

I actually got the idea from my gunsmith as he had his rented work space in the back of another business's shop. These types of deals will require plenty of inquiries and legwork to put together but they would benefit all parties involved if you can find a match up.
These aren't bad ideas...I'll have to look into this.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Racewin wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:52 am
brandyspaw wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:25 am

These aren't bad ideas...I'll have to look into this.
knockonit wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:36 am lot of it depends on location, and size of suite. typically 400 up
I would need to start as cheap as possible. How much additional would electricity, fees, etc. be on one of the $400 spaces? (What am I looking at total per month?)
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hard to say, fella, lots depends on how its leased, or rented or borrowed, ect. some include utilities ect, some do not, again, all about location, and size, in this case size does matter.

i'd start looking for shared office space, might surprise you what might pop up. especially with the crap thats going on right now.
good luck
RJ
PK90

Post by PK90 »

Racewin wrote:How much additional would electricity, fees, etc. be on one of the $400 spaces? (What am I looking at total per month?)
After rent, power, phone, internet, alarm, insurance, local permit, etc. Probably $3/sq.ft. per month.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Can anyone recommend an attorney I could ask some related legal questions?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Seriously call the guy who rents to MLS arms on 35th and Waltann. He has tons of locations and I know several who have had gun stores in his centers, I would say you can get away with 500 square feet or less to start. Scottsdale airpark also has some smaller rentals where a friend had a gun store a while back and another friend had his photo studio there. I believe south of MLS arms that center is zoned right for a gun store but the owner Doug can be a douche. He used to be a politician in Az but was removed from office but he has so lower rent places with good traffic.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

So MLS arms is moving so you could walk right into a shopping center where there have been 3 profitable gun stores. Property managers number is 480 2149409 ask for Nic