Marijuana n gun buying. The feds just arrested Dayton shooter friend for it.

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Marijuana n gun buying. The feds just arrested Dayton shooter friend for it.

Post by Crippledtrigger »

I would suspect you buddy was on the side of the road. Otherwise I call some level of BS. Some part of the story was edited before it got to you. On private property or parking lots even if some ars arrested you it goes nowhere. Especially if it's out side a place that serves, not circle k or liquor store or public place you cant drink in, and you decided not to drive. Unless you pass out in the drivers seat or there is some kind of indication you drove drunk to get to where they found you there is no way to prove the elements of a crime. Maybe possibly public intoxication but again location and context matters.

If you are dumb enough to carry an open container in the passenger compartment then like the man with the bird used to say....Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. That is verboten everywhere and there really isnt an excuse. No matter how stupid you think the law is. And they know about the law. It's in all DL manuals and learning materials.

17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Re: Marijuana n gun buying. The feds just arrested Dayton shooter friend for it.

Post by 17-21-23 »

Yes but it tells us he helped build a upper for his lower. I believe that somehow shape or forum they might go after people building AR's as well as putting a tax stamp on semi auto's.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

17-21-23 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 2:59 pm Yes but it tells us he helped build a upper for his lower. I believe that somehow shape or forum they might go after people building AR's as well as putting a tax stamp on semi auto's.
Couldn't have been an upper:

"Ethan Kollie, 24, admitted to FBI agents that he was a regular user of marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms and that he lied on the form because "he knew that if he told the truth about his drug use, he would not be allowed to purchase a firearm, so he lied and answered 'no'" on the question asking about drug use."

You don't need a 4473 for an upper and he wouldn't have to lie about something he would get via mail-order.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

When they interviewed him after the shooting, the officers/FBI noticed a firearm in his home, along with a bong. They pulled the 4473, and they are charging him for lying on the his 4473. The charge has nothing to do with him purchasing a firearm/lower for the shooter....although he did admit to storing parts for the weapon in his home because the shooter didn't want his parents to find the gun/parts.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

QuietM4 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 8:23 pm
AZ Husker wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:55 pm What if someone holds a medical marijuana license but doesn't partake?
As an FFL, I would ask "why do you have a card if you don't partake?"
The normal reason for someone to have a card who does not partake is because they are a caretaker for someone who does. I.e. mom is using it to treat nausea from chemo, dad has epilepsy etc...
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

nvgdude wrote: August 19th, 2019, 7:28 pm
QuietM4 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 8:23 pm
AZ Husker wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:55 pm What if someone holds a medical marijuana license but doesn't partake?
As an FFL, I would ask "why do you have a card if you don't partake?"
The normal reason for someone to have a card who does not partake is because they are a caretaker for someone who does. I.e. mom is using it to treat nausea from chemo, dad has epilepsy etc...
Don't you have to get a prescription from a doctor to get a medical marijuana card ?
I don't believe a Doctor can hand out prescriptions to people so they can buy prescriptions for other people.
The prescription has to be filled out in the name of the person using the drug.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Crippledtrigger wrote: August 13th, 2019, 9:05 am The origional story I read insinuated it was the lower he bought because the upper is parts with no restrictions.

Regardless, weather the lower or other guns the point is the issue is moot, i.e. there is no grey area like many make believe. It's illegal to own guns and MJ at the same time and ofcourse to lie on the form. Every state, unless one or two made recent changes, makes the two together a misconduct charge at the state level. Not to mention the same thing at the fed level plus the other lying issues.
I don't think there's ever been a grey area about having marijuana and guns. I think the grey area comes in when a) you have a mj card but don't use, or b) what exactly makes you an unlawful user. If you used marijuana 10 years ago? 5 years ago? Last year? Last month? Last week? Last night?

Having a sack of weed with your hi point is obviously illegal.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: August 19th, 2019, 7:41 pm
Don't you have to get a prescription from a doctor to get a medical marijuana card ?
I don't believe a Doctor can hand out prescriptions to people so they can buy prescriptions for other people.
The prescription has to be filled out in the name of the person using the drug.
Not how it works in AZ. The "patient" can designate a caregiver. The caregiver fills out a different form with ADHS.
curtmini14

Post by curtmini14 »

or buy it from joe blow down the street for 30 bucks a bag.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Oh wow. Now this could get interesting:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2019 ... rry-permit
Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried flouts federal law with a concealed carry permit and a marijuana card

SARASOTA — Could Florida Department of Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried get busted by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents for violating federal law? According to the Schedule 1 regulation that governs America’s marijuana policy, the answer would appear to be yes.

Fried, the only Democrat in the Florida Cabinet, devoted much of her 2018 campaign to advocating for greater access to medical marijuana in Florida. Problem: She has also made no secret of her licenses to buy medical marijuana and to carry a concealed weapon.

“I have both,” Fried said on a Trulieve-sponsored Marijuana Solution podcast shortly before taking office in January. “So I want to make that very clear, that I will not be taking anybody’s concealed weapons permit ... or not renewing them. I see no conflict between the two.”
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Too bad she isnt the one who matters.
curt1950
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by curt1950 »

My Dr. keeps trying to give me a Marijuana card but I won't take it, If something happens and the feds show up I don't want to loose my hard earned gun collection. better safe than sorry. Drinking and driving ? In some states it doesn't have to be alcohol. it can be anything you are drinking while you're driving, even water.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Well you don't need a special license to drink and they don't ask when buying a gun , do you drink, so drinking is ok Drugs are bad.
Clickoops

Post by Clickoops »

this is acutally a bery interesting topic of discussion. Ive been planning to start a MJ growing business but i cant get into the dispensaries without a MJ card. But considering the "implication" of use i am wary to proceed, considering i care more about my 2a than MJ.

**as a non-user of MJ
jesicacraddock
Banned
Banned

Post by jesicacraddock »

Some laws amaze me with their stupidity!