Steel bullet bans

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Mauser98
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Steel bullet bans

Post by Mauser98 »

You guys are still not quite getting it.

At Rio and Ben Avery they now have the same rules because it's done by Game & Fish. Furthermore, they are actively checking everyone's ammo, so it's not a question of shooting at the steel or not shooting at the steel. Also shooting at the steel has nothing to do with whether the bullet is steel. They're not armor-piercing, just have soft steel cores or jackets.

This rule change happened within the last month. For instance, they walked up to a girl shooting her AK and told her to stop.

Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

I swear ranges have enacted more bans on ammunition than politicians. Should have known their attitude turn around was too good to be true. Fudds will be fudds i guess.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

This time it's not the range officers. They've been rather polite about it, and it's a game & fish rule.

Hitler's inner circle doesn't work there anymore.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I just read through the rules on Ben Avery and saw no sort of ban. Can you give me a link to the rule?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I was at Rio this morning shooting my AR and AK....no one questioned the type of ammo I was shooting. There were other shooters on the line shooting AK/SKS....not RO's bothered them.

It is in the rules at Rio;
16.NOSTEEL CORE, TRACER, ARMOR PIERCING OR INCENDIARY AMMUNITION OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED.

Seems like a decent rule for an outdoor shooting range in the desert. Steel core ammo can cause sparks, sparks cause fire.
F4D
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by F4D »

What about steel CASED ammo that has is lead core with copper jacket? Is it banned?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

F4D wrote: August 11th, 2019, 11:54 am What about steel CASED ammo that has is lead core with copper jacket? Is it banned?
No.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I don't think this is as big of a deal as the OP thinks it is... There doesn't seem to be any such rule at Ben Avery. It looks like the Rio has had the rule for a while, but there's only a one (second or third hand) report of it actually being enforced.
82echo

Post by 82echo »

TheAccountant wrote: August 10th, 2019, 8:33 pm I just read through the rules on Ben Avery and saw no sort of ban. Can you give me a link to the rule?
That's because there isn't one. The only rule that comes close is steel shot is banned for shotguns.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

QuietM4 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm I was at Rio this morning shooting my AR and AK....no one questioned the type of ammo I was shooting. There were other shooters on the line shooting AK/SKS....not RO's bothered them.

16.NOSTEEL CORE, TRACER, ARMOR PIERCING OR INCENDIARY AMMUNITION OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED.

Seems like a decent rule for an outdoor shooting range in the desert. Steel core ammo can cause sparks, sparks cause fire.
Really? Because I was there today, and when I signed in they made me open my bag, take out my ammo, remove it from the magazine, and give it to the range officer. A magnet was placed against the bullet, and then I was allowed to go in.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

I don't have any first-hand info about Ben Avery. I was just told that by one of the RSOs at Rio.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Mauser98 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
QuietM4 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm I was at Rio this morning shooting my AR and AK....no one questioned the type of ammo I was shooting. There were other shooters on the line shooting AK/SKS....not RO's bothered them.

Really? Because I was there today, and when I signed in they made me open my bag, take out my ammo, remove it from the magazine, and give it to the range officer. A magnet was placed against the bullet, and then I was allowed to go in.
Don't know what to tell you man...maybe you look like the kind of person who shoots steel core ammo. Or maybe they don't like you.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's their range, their rules. Don't bring steel core ammo.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

QuietM4 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm
Mauser98 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Don't know what to tell you man...maybe you look like the kind of person who shoots steel core ammo. Or maybe they don't like you.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's their range, their rules. Don't bring steel core ammo.
They love me. I give the range officers heart palpatations.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Never heard of this at PRGC either other than the gongs at 200 yards. There was talk about steel case ammo not being allowed but I clean the main range every week there and the high power when I have time to clean the steel cases up. There is no evidence of fires at the club either caused by steel core but I actually witnesses one start on Table Mesa a couple years ago from someone shooting 855 ball. I think at the ranges it is not a problem and there is little vegetation to burn and people mostly hit the berms.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

Mauser98 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 6:03 pmAlso shooting at the steel has nothing to do with whether the bullet is steel. They're not armor-piercing, just have soft steel cores or jackets.
It beats up the steel and can cause sparks.
QuietM4 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:28 pmEither way, it doesn't really matter. It's their range, their rules. Don't bring steel core ammo.
Yep