Steel bullet bans

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Mauser98
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Steel bullet bans

Post by Mauser98 »

If the steel targets are getting beat up from steel core ammo then they need thicker targets.

Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Mauser98 wrote: August 14th, 2019, 8:39 am If the steel targets are getting beat up from steel core ammo then they need thicker targets.
They can get thicker targets...as soon as they raise the cost of shooting there.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Thicker targets?

Here is some 1" AR510 i hit with Federal XM855.

I stopped when I saw all the damage. If this were a range target, I don't see it living through a weekend of steel cored ammo.
Attachments
A4F48B68-78B8-478E-8612-AE3960759DE2.jpeg
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Mauser98 wrote: August 14th, 2019, 8:39 am If the steel targets are getting beat up from steel core ammo then they need thicker targets.
That's not how any of this works.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

An email went out to Rio Salado members recently;

"It has always been the policy not allow steel core ammo, however due to a recent fire caused by use of steel core ammo up at the main range the policy is now being enforced. The RSO’s are now tasked with checking every single shooter’s ammo with a magnet to ensure compliance with this policy. Please note - this policy is set in place by Game&Fish and is not up for discussion and is not affected by the Monsoon rains. From our website: Please be advised that any bi-metal, ammunition containing tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, steel jacketed or steel/tungsten/penetrator core projectiles are unsafe and prohibited - in other words, if your bullets attract a magnet - then leave them home! Thank you for helping keep our range a fun and safe place to go shooting!”
Last edited by QuietM4 on August 15th, 2019, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

QuietM4 wrote: August 15th, 2019, 10:05 am An email went out to members recently;

"It has always been the policy not allow steel core ammo, however due to a recent fire caused by use of steel core ammo up at the main range the policy is now being enforced. The RSO’s are now tasked with checking every single shooter’s ammo with a magnet to ensure compliance with this policy. Please note - this policy is set in place by Game&Fish and is not up for discussion and is not affected by the Monsoon rains. From our website: Please be advised that any bi-metal, ammunition containing tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, steel jacketed or steel/tungsten/penetrator core projectiles are unsafe and prohibited - in other words, if your bullets attract a magnet - then leave them home! Thank you for helping keep our range a fun and safe place to go shooting!”
Never mind, I just got the email. It's Rio Salado
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

RIO Salado Sportsmans Club just sent an email affirming that no ammo attracted by a magnet is allowed at there ranges and RO's have been trained and instructed to check for it. Seems they had a fire started on the hill there and the rule is now in effect regardless of fire restrictions or moisture. So i guess if you want to shoot at RIO don't bring magnetic ammo. Its supposedly AZG&F rules not RIO management. But i believe AZG&F manages the land that the RIO range is on. I would be surprised that Ben Avery did not have the same rules in place if that's the case. https://www.rsscaz.com/assets/downloads/BANG!.pdf
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

So basically no cheap plinking ammo. Remember when it used to be fun to go to the range?
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Yea i remember when we backed the truck up to the line unloaded onto a bench and went to ro and checked in. Or during week there was no ro just do your thing. Those days are gone. Too many people in the mix now. I maintain membership at RIO but rarely go except to shoot hi power rifles.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Idiots ruin it for everyone given enough time.