Why not Video Games?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Doc Holliday
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Why not Video Games?

Post by Doc Holliday »

Basher wrote: September 7th, 2019, 12:47 amWe enjoy the time together, but most of us are LDS, so foul and hateful language isn’t present,
Just how do you turn that off? I've heard that language in those games, bunch of hardcore stuff that would make a sailor blush...I've always said, those game manufacturers allow you to choose the difficulty levels to play, why not be more responsible and add options for language/cusswords and the music (rage)?? Parents need to be more involved and see/listen to what their kids are playing...no more headphones, put it on speakers and let's all hear what's going on...

shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I'm sorry, but,... just who was it that bought all these electronic baby sitting devices, in the first place,... shame, shame, shaaame!!!

You reap, what you sow!!!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

shooter444 wrote: September 7th, 2019, 10:52 am I'm sorry, but,... just who was it that bought all these electronic baby sitting devices, in the first place,... shame, shame, shaaame!!!

Yea, so I guess all those dead kids at Columbine, etc..deserved it. That makes perfect sense.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Doc Holliday wrote: September 7th, 2019, 11:00 am
shooter444 wrote: September 7th, 2019, 10:52 am I'm sorry, but,... just who was it that bought all these electronic baby sitting devices, in the first place,... shame, shame, shaaame!!!

Yea, so I guess all those dead kids at Columbine, etc..deserved it. That makes perfect sense.
Doc, I was referring to how all the youth are zombies on their chosen form of electronic drug,.... NOT commenting on those that go off the rails.

Sooo, I have to say, your reply is just simply, off the wall, and pure outrageous conjecture!!!
Last edited by shooter444 on September 7th, 2019, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nimrag

Post by nimrag »

waterdog wrote: September 6th, 2019, 8:34 pm
nimrag wrote: August 12th, 2019, 5:51 pm E742984C-CCF2-4480-B4DC-868753132A79.jpeg
So you find our current problems with the gov and medias idea of gun control funny or entertaining?
I do not know what your statement has to do with the picture I posted.

The picture I posted is a mockery of the media/people who feel that video games are the sole cause of violence.

Anyhow, I’m off to play some Battlefield V
Last edited by nimrag on September 7th, 2019, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

Mauser98 wrote: August 4th, 2019, 11:17 pm
waterdog wrote: August 4th, 2019, 10:44 pm
Mauser98 wrote: August 4th, 2019, 10:41 pm Video games don't cause violence in real life.
You may be right.

But they are part of a bigger problem that has been pointed out many times here and elsewhere.
My friend lost a live-in girlfriend because he couldn't keep from playing video games 12-16 hours a day. He was surprised when she cheated on him...
the problem is very real. I lost my wife of 21 years to video game addiction. She spent 16-18 hrs per day playing them. Gave up all responsibility and chose to live in her alter universe. As has been said, it's different dealing with someone who has this addiction wrapped in violence. It seriously changed her personality.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

Pipedoc wrote: September 7th, 2019, 2:58 pm
Mauser98 wrote: August 4th, 2019, 11:17 pm
waterdog wrote: August 4th, 2019, 10:44 pm
You may be right.

But they are part of a bigger problem that has been pointed out many times here and elsewhere.
My friend lost a live-in girlfriend because he couldn't keep from playing video games 12-16 hours a day. He was surprised when she cheated on him...
the problem is very real. I lost my wife of 21 years to video game addiction. She spent 16-18 hrs per day playing them. Gave up all responsibility and chose to live in her alter universe. As has been said, it's different dealing with someone who has this addiction wrapped in violence. It seriously changed her personality.
I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks man.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

There really is a lot of ok, boomer s*** in this thread that I am going to have to dispell.

Here's the news.

Gaming is JUST entertainment that you can interact with and advance a story based on your efforts.

Instead of looking at it as bad, look at it for what it is. See the gameplay. I'll tell you what when I ran through the campaign of the recent CoD my gf was on the edge of her seat and was actually invested into the characters of the story. When i finally made it to the end and finished the story she was like "Man...this is better than most of the stuff on netflix."

The writing in these games is THAT good. A triple A title with full on big named movie actors, score, editing and all that.

Gaming is going to pave the way for interactive movies in the near future.

Games such as Detroit: Become Human which takes place in 2038 and deals with a lot of morality in the rise of sentient AI and defining 'What does it mean to be alive?" is really ambitious. The "game" isn't really even a game but an interactive film in which you influence 8 different characters and all events in the game. It is an amazing noir-esque type film equal parts Minority Report, Blade Runner and Asimov's I, Robot. The ending is all based on your responses and choices to things.

Some of my BEST memories as a kid was playing stuff with my dad. Baseball Stars on NES was amazing for what it was I remember I spent a whole summer with my dad at his house and it was the first time we really hung out. We would go to the diamond and play baseball then come home and play all night. It literally was one of the best summers in my entire life as a kid because I got so much quality time with my dad. Almost 30 years later my dad sent me a pic of a binder he had found while cleaning out his basement where we wrote down all our players stats in the game because it would only save them for the season.

People can sit there and binge watch tv shows for hours on end but some how games are the problem.

Gaming got me into the idea owning guns from playing games like CoD and looking at being solution minded and solving problems from different angles.

Everything in moderation.
Basher

Post by Basher »

AZ1182 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 9:54 am What an odd subject to flex about.
He flexed one way, and you flexed another. Pot, meet kettle...
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

AZ1182 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 9:54 am To be on topic, that CoD game where you had to mow down innocents and cops with a 240 at the airport as a terrorist? It messed with me so much that I stopped and ejected and tossed the disc into the trash along with the plastic case for it. I still like gaming, but not doing morally wrong things like that. Plus I like the real world better so I hardly multi play.
Modern warfare 2 is the one it's in. You are also able to bypass it completely.

The whole point of the mission was the end where they knew that you were a CIA plant and they shoot you and leave you for dead for the Russians to find you bleeding out and gives justification to start WW3.

Playing through that made me think of a lot of things where a lot of the "good" we say we do with our foreign policy is far worse and visceral than that hands down.

I mean how many spooks have we used to promote and encourage others to do things like this?

Our own government tries to goad people into these acts on a consistent basis to justify their existence.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Wait confused? I was trying to flex on anyone. I was trying to give insight to people who are unfamiliar to this. Kind of like how Anti gun people are without understanding what they are talking about.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Cubiclerevolt wrote: April 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm Wait confused? I was trying to flex on anyone. I was trying to give insight to people who are unfamiliar to this. Kind of like how Anti gun people are without understanding what they are talking about.
I don’t think you were flexing, I just used his term. I’m with you, games are entertainment. If you can’t separate reality from fiction, that’s an operator error, not a fault of the game.

I love WarZone on the new CoD, and have been gaming since the Doom/Quake days when I was 10 years old, and I still haven’t killed anybody. It ain’t the game...
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Just a simple addition to my original post #4, on page #1.

I see a lot of similarity between,... folks who think they can prevent video game triggered violence from happening, by blaming the inanimate object,... compared to the movie Minority Report premise of preventing crime by predicting the future illegal acts of individuals!

Or, if you wish,.... blaming gun violence, past, present or future,... on the inanimate gun!

jmo
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Basher wrote: April 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm
Cubiclerevolt wrote: April 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm Wait confused? I was trying to flex on anyone. I was trying to give insight to people who are unfamiliar to this. Kind of like how Anti gun people are without understanding what they are talking about.
I don’t think you were flexing, I just used his term. I’m with you, games are entertainment. If you can’t separate reality from fiction, that’s an operator error, not a fault of the game.

I love WarZone on the new CoD, and have been gaming since the Doom/Quake days when I was 10 years old, and I still haven’t killed anybody. It ain’t the game...
This.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

shooter444 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:17 pm Just a simple addition to my original post #4, on page #1.

I see a lot of similarity between,... folks who think they can prevent video game triggered violence from happening, by blaming the inanimate object,... compared to the movie Minority Report premise of preventing crime by predicting the future illegal acts of individuals!

Or, if you wish,.... blaming gun violence, past, present or future,... on the inanimate gun!

jmo
It's wild, everyone wants the goat to pin their sins on instead of taking responsibility.

I will say that the one factor that, with the exception of one. Every single active shooter did not have a father in the home. However, that father was overly abusive and critical.

Fatherless homes and the destruction of the family dynamic I would say is a common denominator.