What the actual phuck? Handwringing Hoplophobes.

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
stomp442
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What the actual phuck? Handwringing Hoplophobes.

Post by stomp442 »

Crippledtrigger wrote: June 15th, 2019, 12:33 pm Bury your head my ostrich friends. Amy is real. I almost Couldn't believe the advice was so stereotypical san Fran politico "1980s handguns are bad" like either but, it's all real. Some folks didnt get the "move on to making s*** up about EBR's with things that go up" memo.

Meet Amy...

chinews-ask-amy-20130507.jpg
Amy Dickinson is an American newspaper columnist who writes the syndicated advice column Ask Amy. Dickinson has appeared as a social commentator on ABC's Good Morning America and NBC's The Today Show.

Dickinson joined Chicago Tribune in July 2003 as the newspaper's signature general advice columnist. “Ask Amy” appears in around 200 newspapers in the U.S. and Canada. Prior to the Tribune, Dickinson wrote a column on parenting for Time Magazine, provided commentary for National Public Radio's “All Things Considered” and to “Sunday Morning” on CBS. She worked as a producer for NBC News in New York and Washington, D.C., and has written for The Washington Post, Esquire, Allure and O magazine, among other publications. Dickinson hails from the Finger Lakes region of New York and is a distant relative of poet Emily Dickinson. She is a graduate of Georgetown University. Dickinson's “Ask Amy” column runs seven days a week. A collection of her columns, titled “Ask Amy: Advice for Better Living,” was published in 2013. Her memoir, “The Mighty Queens of Freeville: A Story of Surprising Second Chances,” is a New York Times best-seller. She is also a panelist on NPR’s popular comedy quiz show, “Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me.

Austin.jpg
Austin.jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 3056 times

Crippledtrigger

Re: What the actual phuck? Handwringing Hoplophobes.

Post by Crippledtrigger »

It seems Dear Amy has moved on to more pressing concerns of modern life. An insightful view into the kind of people who ask a newspaper columnist for help.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/30/ ... umans/amp/
Ask Amy: He pees on the floor. How do I, as a woman, fix this?
Amy Dickinson
PUBLISHED: June 30, 2019 at 3:00 am | UPDATED: June 30, 2019 at 6:45 am
Categories:Lifestyle, Relationships & Advice
DEAR AMY: I have wonderful in-laws. They don’t meddle or criticize and are generally cool people to be around.

After the birth of our first child in March, they’ve come from out of state to stay with us a few times. However, I have an issue that I really have no idea how to approach.

My father-in-law is getting on in years, and it seems he does not have the ability to hit the toilet reliably when he urinates.

Amy, I understand that aging comes with all its indignities, but is it too much to expect him to sit down to pee?

Ideally, he would realize the problem and have the decency not to pee onto our bathroom floor. But of course that isn’t the case.

Although I’m a woman, I also guess that there may be a whole host of underlying psychology stuff that happens when a man is no longer able to stand up to pee.
The bottom line is: I don’t have the time or energy to be cleaning up someone else’s urine! Doing it for one human is quite enough.

I’ve thought about passing this off to my husband to handle, but as a matter of personal growth I’m trying to stop avoiding conflict as I’ve done in the past.

Any ideas?

Pissed Mom

DEAR PISSED: You seem to think that this is the right time for you to stand up and confront someone who is doing something you don’t like.

Nope. This is the perfect moment to avoid conflict.

Bringing this up to your “wonderful” father-in-law could prove deeply embarrassing to him. Why — oh why — would you choose to do this?

You have already made the connection that caring for an infant and an older person have some commonalities. In both cases, cleaning up after someone who doesn’t have total control over bodily functions can actually deepen your understanding of the human condition. Yes, it is NO FUN to clean up urine. But yes, it can be done with love — or at least compassion.

Here are your choices: You could ask your husband to speak to his father about his toileting habits: (“Dad, we’ve noticed that you are missing the toilet. Is the lighting in our bathroom bad for you?”).

You could also ask your husband to compassionately clean up after his father so that you don’t have to do it.

Of course, your husband should be on diaper patrol with the baby, along with you, but perhaps during those times your in-laws are with you, you could strike up a deal: “I’ve got the baby; you take gramps.