Question on shipping a handgun

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Re: Question on shipping a handgun

Post by 17-21-23 »

I used to be if you didn't want to fly with your gun you could ship it to yourself for hunting. Not anymore.

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

17-21-23 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 7:28 am Well ups and fedex are not following those rules. I tried shipping to a FFL through UPS last week and they refused to do it. I called Fedex and they refused as well. They told me it had to go from FFL to FFL. I showed them the rules and they said this is the way it is. So something is wrong here.
Because they have made up their own internal rules(that their staff is ill informed on) in addition to the legal requirements.
Steve_In_29
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Yep walk in with sealed box and ship it. They have no need to know what is in it and if asked tell them machined parts.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

17-21-23 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:48 am I used to be if you didn't want to fly with your gun you could ship it to yourself for hunting. Not anymore.
Unless something changed I don't know about this is still the case. It just has to be done by YOU at both ends. Can't have your buddy drop it off for you. And shipping to yourself means your name has to be the recipient but

your name
c/o abd hunting lodge
moose jaw BFE

is valid.
TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

Steve_In_29 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 10:29 am Yep walk in with sealed box and ship it. They have no need to know what is in it and if asked tell them machined parts.
That could end up being tricky. I'm fairly certain they'll run it thru a scanner and if its fully assembled, or the person watching is knowledgeable, will see it's a firearm. I know I had a problem shipping ammo to someone using UPS. Local distribution center wouldn't do it until they got a call from corporate. Give Corp a call, maybe they can help out.
Buggydave

Post by Buggydave »

Called AJI today and they said 25 transfer + 40-60 shipping!
Found another place not far that I didn't even know about and they said they will do it for just the cost to ship, like 25-30. I asked about a transfer fee and she said why would I charge you a transfer fee to just put a shipping label on a box and let shipping company take it, transfer fee is on the other end! I like this place already!
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

It sounds to me like there are lots of FFL's out there making good money on handling and shipping fees.
Like I said before the one I use charges a flat fee of $25 for handguns and $35-$40 for rifles.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

TangoDown wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:21 pm That could end up being tricky. I'm fairly certain they'll run it thru a scanner and if its fully assembled, or the person watching is knowledgeable, will see it's a firearm. I know I had a problem shipping ammo to someone using UPS. Local distribution center wouldn't do it until they got a call from corporate. Give Corp a call, maybe they can help out.
It doesn't matter what a scanner might see, as UPS/FedEx have no Corp policies against the shipment of firearms. They simply state they want you do it via Overnight delivery so it is in their system for as short a time as possible. Due to the theft their own employees commit.

A local branch refusing to ship a weapon is simply setting their own policy and it can be ignored.

Ammo is different then a firearm as it falls into a hazardous materials classification. Though that just means there should be the appropriate hazmat sticker on the box is all.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

trying to ship guns without an FFL 4-5 years ago was a PITA, I can only imagine its gotten worse. You can follow all the rules you want, even the USPS makes stuff up on the fly. You tell them its a gun and they act like its a radioactive pitbull in the box. Its way easier to fly with a gun than ship one.

Don't dealers have to log in every gun they receive, regardless if they ship it that day?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Quake_Guy wrote: May 28th, 2019, 10:25 pm Don't dealers have to log in every gun they receive, regardless if they ship it that day?
Dealers are required to log all acquisition and disposition for every firearm in their shop.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

well then that is why the dealer fee is substantially greater than just the shipping cost...
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Quake_Guy wrote: May 29th, 2019, 9:44 am well then that is why the dealer fee is substantially greater than just the shipping cost...
Logging in a firearm for a dealer takes no longer than it is taking me to write this reply. It is very easy. All they have to record is the mfg/importer, model, caliber, type of firearm (pistol, revolver, rifle, etc) and where it came from (what distributor, what person, etc). Very simple information.

Some dealers charge a large fee because they don't want to deal with it...it can take some time to write emails, acquire/exchange copies of FFL's/DL's, etc. Not a huge amount of effort for $50....maybe takes about 30 minutes total work in extreme cases.

A friend of mine owned a gun shop a few years back, and he made upwards of $1,000 per month just doing FFL transfers for people, $20 per gun. It's easy money.
Buggydave

Post by Buggydave »

Well, I got it shipped yesterday! Took a little longer to get done only because the owner of the shop it is going to in NC was on vacation and had to wait for him to get back to e-mail the info to the store here.
BIG thanks to Alpha Dog Firearms in Tempe (Mill and Baseline) for shipping it for me. I didn't even know of this store before, but for sure will be going back for my gun needs in the future, even though there are closer stores to me. Some stores near me didn't even want to do it, and the ones who did wanted like $75-$100 to do it. Alpha Dog did it for the shipping cost only ($25). Very nice store, and the girl I dealt with couldn't be nicer. They even have a little coffee shop in the back. I highly recommend them! Also thanks to PK90 for his offer to ship it for me, just a little far for me to drive.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

before this falls off, any other input regarding shipping friendly FFLs?
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Quake_Guy wrote: August 13th, 2019, 10:27 am before this falls off, any other input regarding shipping friendly FFLs?

AJI in the East Valley is awesome.