NRA "looted into insolvency"?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: NRA "looted into insolvency"?

Post by smithers599 »

Flash wrote: May 1st, 2019, 8:26 am
smithers599 wrote: May 1st, 2019, 6:24 am
Yes, I notice that in LaPierre's letter he says that North threatened to reveal "devasting" information. Not "scurrilous," not "defamatory," not "false." In other words, he is admitting that the allegations are true. It's like somebody hacked some emails revealing that she spent "charitable foundation" money to pay for Chelsea's wedding and support her lavish lifestyle -- the outrage is not the information itself, but how it was released, right?

Note Mrs. LaPierre is an employee of Ackerman-McQueen. Conflist of interest much? Talk about collusion. Now the two co-conspirators have fallen out. No good guy in this situation.
In no way is that admitting the allegations are true. If they were true, then the information would be released by now or, if he was actually guilty of something, then he would've folded and given in to the demands.

This is the opposite, this is proof the allegations were false because he called their bluff and won.
You may be right, and I may be wrong. (I often am; you can ask my wife.) But in this particular case, I think the dirt that A-M has on LaPierre is "devastating" because it is true. Otherwise, he would have said, "They threatened to publish allegations of financial and sexual misconduct, and I deny all of the allegations. They are false. If they publish that stuff, I will sue them for defamation, and I will put them out of business." When the accusations are false, you don't hint at it; you say it. (See, for example, Kavanaugh.)

A-M still has that dirt. Remember, they are still in litigation, so I suspect A-M will continue to use that dirt as a bargaining chip. "You back off on your accusations that we looted the NRA, and we will back off on our accusations that you looted the NRA. We keep our outrageous fees, and you keep your outrageous compensation. Deal?"

Flash

Post by Flash »

Time will tell.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I like the way you think, Flash,... again! 8-)
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

It always seemed to me that my $20 yearly dues just meant I was getting $30 worth of mailers each year, asking for more money.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

This looks like a pretty detailed analysis of all the moving parts:

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/news/ ... dium=email
The situation is, by all accounts, a hot mess; but that doesn’t mean the NRA is destined to be a hot mess as well. While enemies of the NRA are laughing at its reported discord, others consider the conflict a much-needed course correction that will only make the organization stronger. One such voice of optimism comes from David Yamane, a sociology professor at Wake Forest. Yamane has published research known as Gun Culture 2.0 on the evolution of gun culture. Yamane, who is scheduled to speak at the NRA convention this week, tweeted, “I wonder if people realize that this purification has the potential to make the NRA stronger rather than weaker? Be careful what you wish for.”
A lawsuit was filed by the NRA on April 12 against public relations firm Ackerman McQueen. The firm, with offices in Oklahoma City, Dallas, Alexandria and Colorado Springs, has worked as an NRA contractor for 38 years. The NRA’s 2017 tax filings show the organization paid the PR agency and its affiliates $40.9 million that year. The New Yorker article suggest the relationship between the NRA and its PR agency is a proverbial case of blurred lines. Susan LaPierre, wife of NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, was briefly employed by Ackerman McQueen, while NRA President Oliver North and NRA talent Colion Noir and Dana Loesch are all paid by Ackerman McQueen, not the NRA. The NRA’s attorney Bill Brewer is the son-in-law of Ackerman founder Angus McQueen, although it’s true Brewer prepared and filed the suit on behalf of the NRA against his father-in-law’s company. Brewer’s firm is paid, on average, $1.5 million per month by the NRA.
IMO, WLP and A-M have "colluded" to loot the NRA for years. My hope is that WLP (age 69) will retire as a great hero in the eyes of most members, and walk away with his fortune; and that A-M will be permitted to keep their share of the loot as well -- but that the board will hire a new EVP and start acting like a board, exercising oversight. A good housecleaning would do us all good.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

oh ca'mon, you don't think wayne has banked a gaggle of info to use against anyone who comes at him, you don't run the dam thing for 40 years and not have a the ''stash, problem is its not on those that the nra could leverage for a favoritable vote on something.

waynes gotta go, until he does the nra will remain as it is, loud but not a lot of action, and the cry for $$ will only get louder, my membership is due in a month, 33 emails in ten days to reup. yeah right

i droppped the life time and did yearly , thats how pizzed i got over some stuipd crap, i vote and agree mwith my money.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,... I just don't know,... "loud but not a lot of action"?

If memory serves me, seems like just about every Demonscat politician on the Hill, shake in their panties every time the devil organization,.. NRA,... name, is mentioned.

My guess is there has to be some validity to all the anti constitutional lefties absolute panicked filled paranoia about the the influence, they claim, the NRA has.

No?
Last edited by shooter444 on May 15th, 2019, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black_water

Post by Black_water »

The bigger problem is that the anti gunners have much deeper pockets and the public is brain dead.

The battle for gun rights is an uphill one at this point, regardless of finances within the NRA.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Black_water wrote: May 11th, 2019, 10:18 am The bigger problem is that the anti gunners have much deeper pockets and the public is brain dead.

The battle for gun rights is an uphill one at this point, regardless of finances within the NRA.

Agreed,... on both sides of the political fence!
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/leaked-let ... 1557597601
Leaked Letters Reveal Details of NRA Chief’s Alleged Spending
Wayne LaPierre expensed $39,000 in clothes in one day, $18,300 for car and driver, ad agency says; NRA says board has ‘full confidence’ in him.

By Mark Maremont
May 11, 2019 2:00 p.m. ET

National Rifle Association Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre billed the group’s ad agency $39,000 for one day of shopping at a Beverly Hills clothing boutique, $18,300 for a car and driver in Europe and had the agency cover $13,800 in rent for a summer intern, according to newly revealed NRA internal documents.

The documents, posted anonymously on the internet, provide new details of the clothing, travel and other expenses totaling more than $542,000 that Ackerman McQueen Inc. alleges Mr. LaPierre billed to it.

The travel expenses allegedly include more than $200,000 in “Air Transportation” costs during a one-month period in late 2012 and early 2013, in part related to a two-week trip over Christmas to the Bahamas by Mr. LaPierre.

The additional details behind the ad agency’s claims comes as Mr. LaPierre faces internal scrutiny at the NRA over his expenses amid an extraordinary falling-out between the NRA and Ackerman McQueen.

The NRA released a statement from Carolyn Meadows, its new president, who said the “entire board is fully aware of these issues. We have full confidence in Wayne LaPierre.” She added that “it is troubling and pathetic that some people would resort to leaking information to advance their agendas.”

Mr. LaPierre didn’t respond to a request for comment sent through the NRA.

The LaPierre expense documents posted on the internet appeared to be genuine, a person familiar with the originals told The Wall Street Journal.

The allegations come as the nonprofit gun-rights group is grappling with a new investigation into its financial dealings with insiders and other matters by the New York attorney general.

“It’s time for a change in leadership” at the NRA, said Shawn Herrin, an NRA member who runs a gun-oriented podcast company and aired some of the allegations about Mr. LaPierre’s spending last week.

The documents consist of letters and attachments sent last month to the NRA’s board by the organization’s then-President Oliver North. Mr. North wrote that the allegations “suggest financial impropriety” and he was forming a crisis management committee to examine those and other matters.

Mr. North was forced out after Mr. LaPierre accused him of trying to use the allegations to extort him into resigning. Those defending Mr. North have said he was doing his fiduciary duty as an officer of a nonprofit. Mr. North hasn’t commented.

An NRA attorney, William A. Brewer III, previously has said the vast majority of Mr. LaPierre’s travel expenses charged to the ad firm were for “donor outreach, fundraising and stakeholder engagement” and were being reviewed by the board. The NRA also has said Mr. LaPierre’s clothing expenses were justified due to his many public appearances.

Attached to Mr. North’s correspondence were two letters dated April 22 to Mr. LaPierre from Ackerman McQueen, the NRA’s longtime ad agency. Despite a decadeslong relationship, the NRA sued Ackerman last month, accusing it of failing to justify its billing.

The Journal previously reported on the Ackerman McQueen letters and their allegations about Mr. LaPierre’s clothing and travel expenses, but the documents provide fresh details.

In the letters, Ackerman McQueen wrote Mr. LaPierre that it couldn’t provide detail on clothing and travel expenses it incurred for the NRA chief without more information from him.

“We need to address your wardrobe you required us to provide, specifically purchases at the Zegna store in Beverly Hills, CA,” one letter from Ackerman said. It attached a list of purchases between 2004 and 2017 that totaled $274,695.03. On two dates, Mr. LaPierre’s purchases exceeded $39,000.

The other letter asked Mr. LaPierre for detailed records backing up $267,460.53 of travel and rent expenses that Mr. LaPierre billed to Ackerman, which said it in turn billed to the NRA.

They included a trip to Italy and Budapest in 2014, where the listed expenses included $6,500 for lodging at the Four Seasons hotel; $2,400 for a stay at the luxury Castadiva Resort on Italy’s Lake Como; $17,550 for “Air Charter” between Budapest and the Italian city of Brescia; and nearly $18,300 for a car and driver in both countries.

There was also a charge of $1,096 for “Frankfurt Airport Assistance.”

The letter also listed air transportation charges of almost $40,000 from Washington to the Bahamas on Dec. 17, 2012, and $29,000 from the Bahamas to Dallas on Jan. 3, 2013.

As for the summer intern, Ackerman wrote that Mr. LaPierre “required we rent” her an apartment and requested that Mr. LaPierre provide details about his business relationship to the young woman.

Nonprofits are supposed to be run in the best interests of the organization, not for the benefit of board members or executives, legal experts said. Under New York’s nonprofit law, among the toughest in the U.S., the attorney general could seek to remove directors or officers, and claw back as much as double any improperly obtained benefit.

—Rob Barry contributed to this article.
I guess there are lots of donors who require reaching out in the Bahamas, Italy, and Budapest.
And the apartment rent for the "summer intern"? Let me guess that the summer intern just happened to be a hot 20-something blonde.

Now we know where our dues have been going.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Sorry, in this decade of lies, on top of lies, by anonymous leakers, has tainted my ability to trust any political publication,... forever!

" The LaPierre expense documents posted on the internet appeared to be genuine, a person familiar with the originals told The Wall Street Journal. "

Unless I have verified original documents in my hand, I doubt everything published ,... period.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Good point. Maybe Trump did collude with the Russians! ;)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Everybody does realize that with computers you can make documents of all kinds that are almost as good as the originals, right?

I told a Treasury Agent that exact thing a couple of weeks ago after he showed me his Treasury ID, and he said I was right.
baja

Post by baja »

Here's a letter from NRA Board Member Allen West regarding the situation. If you had any doubt, this will clear things up for you.

https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/stateme ... rding-nra/
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

as noted wlp needs to be gone, his treating the nra as his own fiefdom and pocket book need to end, and as far as mi'm concerned cox needs to go, hes a mini wlp

just saying
Rj