NRA "looted into insolvency"?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
87jeep
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: NRA "looted into insolvency"?

Post by 87jeep »

Falling just like "Rome"

Keep your powder dry!

Carry on

smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Open letter from board member Buz Mills (owner of Gunsite):

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/nra-ca ... z5v4qJCA6C
Our current situation is the result of our own irresponsibility in not providing our staff and employees with adequate oversight and direction. While we have committees responsible for providing oversight, the reality is, they have not. I presented evidence of this abdication as demonstrated in previous Board of Directors meetings. There can be no doubt, the truth of the matter is spelled out in the minutes of these board and committee meetings.
This is a dangerous statement. The State of New York is likely to charge the individual members of the board with dereliction of duty, failure to provide oversight – and hold them individually responsible (financially). In other words, the State of New York will be asking the court to levy huge fines against the individual board members. It will be hard to argue “No, the malfeasance occurred despite our diligent oversight, not because of our abdication of our fiduciary duty” when one of the board members has admitted the abdication. I suspect Mills wrote this without consulting with a lawyer. Could prove to be a big mistake. On the other hand, I may be wrong. Popcorn at the ready…

ETA: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... at-the-nra
The memos urged the audit committee to “step up + fulfill its duties!,” but it’s not clear what the board has done to root out malfeasance. James Fishman, a co-author of “New York Nonprofit Law and Practice: With Tax Analysis,” a leading text on nonprofit law, told me, “There is no such thing as a director who doesn’t direct. You’re responsible to make yourself aware of what’s going on. If the board doesn’t know, they’ve breached their duty of care, which is against the law in New York,” where the N.R.A. is chartered. According to Owens, the former I.R.S. official, New York State “could sanction board members, remove board members, disband the board, or close down the organization entirely.”
Flash

Post by Flash »

All of this should've been taken care of behind closed doors, not in front of the leftist media.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hey Flash,... Seems to me, some things are probably being done behind closed doors,... I expected the left would be going orgasmic with talk of the NRA having troubles? It sure is a lot more quiet than I expected.

NO?
Flash

Post by Flash »

It occurs to me that they might be behind some of what's going on with the NRA.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Most likely,... the Deep State, goes very deep. 8-)
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Nobody from the left made them dip into the cookie jar. Corrupt people took over the organization and robbed us blind. We can't blame that on Russian Collusion, or George Soros, or the Fake News Media, or the Vast Left Wing Conspiracy. The ones who did the stealing are the ones responsible, nobody else.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

You nailed it Smithers - ever since they built that fancy headquarters on our dime they seem to have lost sight of their mission. Greedy bastards too busy lining up at the trough (just like the Congress critters) to do the peoples work.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

its been going on for years, lapu, has been using it as his personal bank system, along with a few others, the sure bamboozled the masses. no wonder the call for $$$$ has gotten worse,

gonna step away till they fix this, and even then will proabbly concentrate on local stuff.

nra has not been friends to AZ.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I think the organization has been in a downward spiral since the eighties. It's been happening ever since they fired Neal Knox from the NRA and then continued to push out other hardliners who refused to compromise on gun laws and the 2nd amendment.

The decline continued on with the misuse of funds like paying for old Wayne's $200K wardrobe and other such shenanigans. As if he couldn't pay for his own designer suits with his salary. I'm a Life Member from way back but I've become very disillusioned by all this.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I agree Waterdog,... money, leading to power,... corrupts! A periodic cleansing is inevitable and good thing!
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Its really getting interesting. I still don't think this will dislodge old Wayne and cat lady but things are definitely happening inside the NRA. This resignation letter was sent out by these 3 board members today:

August 1, 2019
President Carolyn Meadows
The National Rifle Association of America
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Secretary John Frazier
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

The National Rifle Association of America Board of Directors
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Ladies and Gentlemen:

It is with profound disappointment that each of us hereby tenders our resignation from the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association, effective immediately.
We proudly agreed to serve as board members of the NRA because of our steadfast belief in the Association’s core mission of protecting the Second Amendment and its leadership’s commitment to serving its members with honesty, integrity and transparency. While our belief in the NRA’s mission remains as strong today as ever, our confidence in the NRA’s leadership has been shattered.

As Board members, we are duty bound to act with care and in the best interests of the NRA and its mission. Proper discharge of that duty compels us to speak up and take action when we become aware of matters within the Association that run counter to its mission, governing principles, policies, or the law. Over the past several months, there have been numerous, highly-publicized allegations of impropriety leveled against the Association and certain members of its executive leadership team. In exercising our oversight responsibilities as Board Members, we have sought information and requested certain actions be taken with respect to these allegations, only to be rebuffed at every turn. We had expected – or at least hoped— that the executive leadership team would recognize the seriousness of these allegations and work with us in a constructive and transparent manner to address our concerns and minimize any further harm to the Association. Instead, we have been stonewalled, accused of disloyalty, stripped of committee assignments and denied effective counsel necessary to properly discharge our responsibilities as Board members.

As a result of the foregoing, we are left with no other choice but to resign as members of the Board of Directors. In doing so, however, we hope that our action will serve as a catalyst for much needed reform within the NRA so that it can return its focus to the mission which we remain unwaveringly committed -- protecting the Constitution of the United States and especially, the Second Amendment.
Sincerely,

Esther Schneider
Sean Maloney
Timothy Knight
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

ON the above, its either one of two things - 1 They really care and are totally frustrated, or 2 part of the problem and the first set rats leaving the sinking ship ?
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

storage_man wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 6:24 am ON the above, its either one of two things - 1 They really care and are totally frustrated, or 2 part of the problem and the first set rats leaving the sinking ship ?
I think they've been unable to do anything further to remove old Wayne or all his cronies from the NRA. So since they were now powerless to do much more they wanted to absolve themselves from all the financial malfeasance. This has been unraveling for a while now and I think these directors felt they had no other options.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Is not, WHISTLE BLOWING, an option?

Maybe in the future. :pray: