Great basic ballistics education, and what works for you

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Great basic ballistics education, and what works for you

Post by Pro2a »

I caught this new video from Luck Gunner, and it really has me rethinking my choice as having a pistol vs, rifle as a PRIMARY home defense weapon.
I see this as not two "internet geniuses" throwing out their "expertise," but two heads of major reputable self defense ammo companies espousing their opinions on rifle ammo vs. handgun ammo as far as self defense; which is backed by years of FBI standards and science.
Again, this is not one those stupid "stopping power" caliber arguments. I think all of us dedicated educated members here can see past that, and not even start that sh!t....
And from the info I glean from this (velocity vs devastation,) as a short term solution, I'm pondering just putting my 22TCM barrel (2000fps) in my RIA, as opposed to some basic ol' 9mm HP.
What say you guys?

shooter444

Re: Great basic ballistics education, and what works for you

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,.... when the Miami-Dade County fiasco occurred, I dove deep into it and the resulting FBI Quantanimo investigation results.

Here is the bottom line research results I walked away with and the few pertinent facts I learned about the shooting as well.

One,... large caliber and deepest penetration is paramount!!!

Two,... shot placement/penetration to the upper spinal column, and, or, skull,... has the quickest disabling results.

Three,... non lethal wounds take time for unconsciousness to result from blood/pressure loss,... with best blood and blood pressure loss resulting best from wounds with entrance and exit channels.

I came to these conclusions many years ago, and stand by them to this day.

I am willing to go so far as to say,... any caliber, with any velocity, with proper placement, can produce acceptable to excellent results in a self defense situation,... jmo. As long as the above parameters are met.
Last edited by shooter444 on April 21st, 2019, 7:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

It's really simple....bigger bullets are better.

Wider bullets transfer more energy to the body. When a bullet exits the body the energy it retains is wasted.
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

Placement, placement, placement.

5" target, at 5 yards, 5 rounds in 2 seconds from holster. Add more(lead) if required. Best drill out there!

Carry on.