Selling to an 18-year-old?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
AZ Husker
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Selling to an 18-year-old?

Post by AZ Husker »

I've searched Arizona Revised Statutes and cannot find the age to legally do a private sale on a handgun. I know it is 21 for an FFL, but all I can find is "minor", defined as 18. Any help?
Last edited by AZ Husker on April 1st, 2019, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

knockonit

Re: Selling to an 18-year-old?

Post by knockonit »

other than not a person who cannot have a weapon, and is an az resident , can't seem to recall any statue that says of any age, minor is to some up to 21, others after 16
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Private sale to anyone over the age of 18 is fine...the 21 years of age rule is only for FFL dealers.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I haven't researched it since I was that age (I'm 50 now), but I was aware at that time that an 18 year old could OWN a handgun, but could not buy through an FFL until 21. Private sales were legal at 18, and if given the weapon by a direct relative or parent, ownership could be at ANY age.

However, I vaguely also recall that at some point before we got CCW passed in 1994, because open carry was all there was available to us,...some folks found it disturbing that some 16 and 17 year olds could and would be openly carrying, and the cops could do nothing about it. So Glendale was the first (despite state pre-emption law preventing them from legally going so) to pass a law prohibiting people under 18 from carrying. It got challenged immediately by somebody and was amended that anyone under 18 had to literally have a signed permission slip from their parents on a prescribed city form for the purpose. Relatively soon after that, someone at the state level introduced essentially the same law, and it passed,...unless I am remembering this all wrong. I'm at the age that is possible now.

All I know is that when I was 16, I bought my first handgun (a Dan Wesson Model 15) from an old duffer cowboy who figured if I was intelligent enough to discuss with him what and why I wanted, and had worked hard enough to afford it, that was old enough. Dad approved, although he wasn't present at the sale. It was just my first face-to-face gun transaction. Part of becoming an adult, as far as I'm concerned.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Anybody got a copy of Alan Korwin's Arizona Gun Laws handy?
Should be in there.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Ok I found out hand guns are 21 and up private or FFL. Rifle can be sold privately to a 18 and up. Now a 18 year old can have a hand gun but his or her parents have to buy it and give it to them . Hence they are 21 or older.
action magic

Post by action magic »

As of December 2018 a person 18 -20 years of age:
https://lawcenter.giffords.org/minimum- ... n-arizona/

21 and over applies to FFL and / or AZ CWP

Damn that GoogleFu :techie-typing:
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I’ve always understood it to read that private sales of handguns in Arizona are limited to 18+, as proved by the law summary links contained within the link provided by action magic above.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I thought what I said earlier was wrong so.i contacted ATFE. Well I left a messege and just heard back from ATFE industry ops here in AZ. They said you can sell a hand gun or rifle to anyone that's 18 years of age and over. Under 18 u need a letter from the parents for their permission. As of right now AZ follows federal law with now changes.
Just in case anyone wants to call ATFE Industry Ops for Phoenix az 6027765400
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

^drivel from the troll
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Here again. ATFE Industry Ops here in Phoenix Az. 602 776 5400. Enough guessing on Sh!t. Stop wasting time on google. Just call them up and ask a question like a man. They are happy to talk to you and will answer your questions with a smile on their face.
action magic

Post by action magic »

Why would one contact ATF (proven time and again that unless in writing that their "opinion" is worthless) for a State of Arizona legality? Rather reckless to leave the door ajar when the wolf is on your porch. Just in case- its a metaphor, you could google it...
action magic

Post by action magic »

To the rest of the board:
My apologies. I know better than to feed the troll. This is that rare occasion when I just could not resist squaring away a pogue.
Again, my apologies
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

That's great I got more food. Thanks for feeding me. Yes a lot of field agents are f*** up. But I know 3 or 4 industry guys that give me good info. But hey keep on guessing on what the law is. I'm sure google keeps up on it.
Exorpmtech
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Exorpmtech »

So an 18 year old can no longer buy a rifle from an FFL?