Court rules Remington can be sued

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Court rules Remington can be sued

Post by Pro2a »

Flash

Re: Court rules Remington can be sued

Post by Flash »

It'll end up in SCOTUS and overturned by the Lawful commerce in firearms act of 2006). I could be slightly off on the name of the act, but that's close.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Regardless of how it turns out , it will cost Remington millions of dollars.
Hopefully when it is all done Remington will be able to sue for attorney fees.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Not sure if it's possible but could Remington counter-sue? At the very least it seems like it would provide them the opportunity to bring out legitimate facts about the AR15 and take some of the focus off some of the un-truths or mis-leading facts that always seem to make the headlines. You know, the best defense is a good offense.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 5:58 pm Not sure if it's possible but could Remington counter-sue? At the very least it seems like it would provide them the opportunity to bring out legitimate facts about the AR15 and take some of the focus off some of the un-truths or mis-leading facts that always seem to make the headlines. You know, the best defense is a good offense.
Sounds like a positive idea, but I see gun FACTS being diluted/distorted by the media into something its not- as usual
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

There need to show causation: “But for the advertising, the shooting would not have happened.”

They need to prove that the little psycho saw one of the advertisements, and said “That’s the gun I want to use.” IIRC, the gun belonged to his mother, whom he murdered by shooting her with a .22, then took the gun. So, we are supposed to believe that he murdered his mother, then said “My late mother had several guns, but I am going to steal the gun that I saw the advertisement for.”
More likely, he used the gun that looked like the ones the newspapers and TV stations kept showing, while saying “This is the best gun for mass murderers, useful only for killing the greatest number of people in the shortest amount of time.” That would make CNN responsible -- which is far more plausible.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

If I was on the legal team, I would push back using their own terminology: "gun owners have substantial responsibility to take reasonable measures to protect against theft " (Center for American Progress).

STATES WITH MANDATORY LOSS/THEFT REPORTING LAWS - Connecticut (Giffords Law Center)

So Remington shows in court that the gun owner did not take responsibility for protecting her rifles and in fact 'trained' the suspect in using the rifle effectively. Also causing her death.

Now comes the next part by Loyola law professor Blaine LeCesne weighing on the question of liability: If a car thief finds a vehicle with the key inside, makes off with said vehicle but careens into a school bus, seriously injuring or killing those aboard, the courts would be hard pressed to find the car owner responsible, LeCesne said.

Under the legal doctrine of proximate cause, LeCesne said the act of stealing the car and the recklessness or negligence involved in hitting or injuring another victim would supersede the car owner's negligence in leaving the car unsecured. He didn't know of any cases in which a car owner (or car manufacturer) had been sued or found civilly liable for injuries resulting from a stolen car.....

But many other variables would come into play if the courts attempt to decide legal responsibility for a stolen gun. Was the gun left in a place where it was easily accessible to be stolen? Was it in a car in front of the gun owner's house? Was it in a very high crime area or across the street from a school?

In short, like the car if the gun is used negligently, a gun owner may end up in court. But if the gun is used intentionally and criminally, the owner isn't responsible. I would apply the same for the gun manufacturer.

Remington should counter sue the victims after they prove in a court of law that the gun owner's estate was responsible for their own gun neglect and thus the resulting deaths of others by the thief / family member. This might set the precedent that the liability falls back to the criminal.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Na. They need to start a go fund me account and we the people will step up and help our gun manufacturers. It won't go anywhere just cost Remington money. It's just a way to choke them out until they quit making guns.
Flash

Post by Flash »

It might not cost Remington money. Lucky Gunner got all their expenses awarded to them after the people who sued them lost.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Next up, Oneida (tableware manufacturer) gets sued because someone used one of their forks to stab someone in the neck.

Ridiculous.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Ranger1 wrote: March 15th, 2019, 7:57 am Na. They need to start a go fund me account and we the people will step up and help our gun manufacturers. It won't go anywhere just cost Remington money. It's just a way to choke them out until they quit making guns.

This ^ ^ ^,.... inch by inch,... step by step,... slowly they chip away at USA Constitutionally protected Human Rights,... in support of the One World created secret sewer government coup, currently attacking us.
Black_water

Post by Black_water »

Just another silly ruling.

As stated, misuse of any product should result in lawsuits I guess.