Does the 'East Valley' need a armorer/smith for black rifles? (Or should I start doing gun work again?)

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Does the 'East Valley' need a armorer/smith for black rifles? (Or should I start doing gun work again?)

Post by Tim McBride »

With Derek gone and a few others shutting down, is there a demand in the East Valley for a modern rifle smith and armorer?
I still have the vast majority of my tools from the old shop, and am considering doing just modern semi auto work part time again.

Thoughts?

semperfisurveyor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Does the 'East Valley' need a armorer/smith for black rifles? (Or should I start doing gun work again?)

Post by semperfisurveyor »

I have two Robinson Armament XCR projects that need attention above my skill sets...do you work on the XCR platform? I’m in east valley and would be interested!
lew

Re: Does the 'East Valley' need a armorer/smith for black rifles? (Or should I start doing gun work again?)

Post by lew »

semperfisurveyor wrote: June 13th, 2018, 9:19 am I have two Robinson Armament XCR projects that need attention above my skill sets...do you work on the XCR platform? I’m in east valley and would be interested!
My brother and I both have early XCRs and want most of the Picatinny rails milled off. Tim, would you be able to do that?
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

Are you thinking of just doing "bolt together" type jobs or jobs a bit more complicated?
Do you have a mill?
A lathe?
Will you be set up to media blast, parkerize, and refinish firearms?
What is your definition of "modern semi-auto"? Does that include AKs, HKs, and FALs?

I suppose if you were doing it out of your residence so not paying the overhead of rent, anything no matter how small is possible. The question is, how big? I think there are plenty of places in the EV that can just bolt stuff together for a customer, its the jobs beyond that that I think quality smiths are lacking the ability to do.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

lew wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:22 am
semperfisurveyor wrote: June 13th, 2018, 9:19 am I have two Robinson Armament XCR projects that need attention above my skill sets...do you work on the XCR platform? I’m in east valley and would be interested!
My brother and I both have early XCRs and want most of the Picatinny rails milled off. Tim, would you be able to do that?

If I get set up on my own again, yes. Right now everything is still in boxes and on pallets.

I do have access to another shop that I have been helping out. Shoot me a PM with a photo of which XCR you have and the rails you want cut, and I'll see if we can knock it out down there.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Mr_Maim wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:47 am Are you thinking of just doing "bolt together" type jobs or jobs a bit more complicated?
Do you have a mill?
A lathe?
Will you be set up to media blast, parkerize, and refinish firearms?
What is your definition of "modern semi-auto"? Does that include AKs, HKs, and FALs?

I suppose if you were doing it out of your residence so not paying the overhead of rent, anything no matter how small is possible. The question is, how big? I think there are plenty of places in the EV that can just bolt stuff together for a customer, its the jobs beyond that that I think quality smiths are lacking the ability to do.
Yes on a mill and lathe.
I'm thinking of doing both again(simple and custom mill/lathe stuff). Parkerizing I've got the experience, but I'd need to buy a new tank, I gave my old one away. I've got a sandblasting setup still here.
As for "modern" what I mean is I don't want to work on junk .22s and other stuff like that anymore. And other then threading I have no desire to work on bolt guns.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Just depends on what you want done; trying to gage interest in getting set up with my own 'small' shop again.
I have no desire to sell stuff anymore. No more NFA sales in my future. Just tired of the oversight.
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

Tim McBride wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:53 am Yes on a mill and lathe.
I'm thinking of doing both again(simple and custom mill/lathe stuff). Parkerizing I've got the experience, but I'd need to buy a new tank, I gave my old one away. I've got a sandblasting setup still here.
As for "modern" what I mean is I don't want to work on junk .22s and other stuff like that anymore. And other then threading I have no desire to work on bolt guns.
In that case I'll be Customer #1. I need blasting and parking and some easy mill work done on several projects.

Your comment about junk 22s made me laugh! :lol:
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Mr_Maim wrote: June 13th, 2018, 11:34 am
Tim McBride wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:53 am Yes on a mill and lathe.
In that case I'll be Customer #1. I need blasting and parking and some easy mill work done on several projects.

Your comment about junk 22s made me laugh! :lol:
I'll let everyone know if I get set back up for serious work. I can possibly do the mill work if you shoot me a message with what you want done. I have access to a friends setup shop that I've been helping at. If we have the stuff do do the work down there, I can help out.
semperfisurveyor

Post by semperfisurveyor »

Tim McBride wrote: June 13th, 2018, 11:00 am
Just depends on what you want done; trying to gage interest in getting set up with my own 'small' shop again.
I have no desire to sell stuff anymore. No more NFA sales in my future. Just tired of the oversight.
Looking to get a portion of the rails milled off then refinished.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

semperfisurveyor wrote: June 13th, 2018, 12:39 pm
Tim McBride wrote: June 13th, 2018, 11:00 am
Looking to get a portion of the rails milled off then refinished.
I could do the rail milling, but I am not set up to do any refinishing right now.
John Kuhns

Post by John Kuhns »

No offense intended but there is still Derrick Martin and I last heard Bob Pultz was operating out of AJI.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

John Kuhns wrote: June 13th, 2018, 4:47 pm No offense intended but there is still Derrick Martin and I last heard Bob Pultz was operating out of AJI.
Fair point. Bob is actually in the space my shop used to occupy.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Do it, Tim! My old EVC3 shirt is looking pretty worn, and I could use another... ;)
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

Agreed, got my first suppressor from EVC3.
Attachments
EVC3 shirt.jpg