FFL/ Background Check

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
ArizonaG30
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

FFL/ Background Check

Post by ArizonaG30 »

Any FFLs in N/W Phx. that will do the Background Check for Private Sales?

Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: FFL/ Background Check

Post by Flash »

Background check for private sale???????

I've never heard of anyone doing that in Arizona.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

I'm sure some Greedy FFL would take you up on that offer but why bother with someone requesting such a thing unless they are shipping it to me out of state ftf they can pound sand
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

What these two are saying is it is not necessary to do a background check in Arizona with a private sale between two legal possessors. Of course you can, any FFL will do a transfer and probably charge you twice.
PK90

Post by PK90 »

I do it for $20. A lot of sellers are afraid to sell to a prohibited person. Transferring it through our books with a background check releases their liability.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Why?

If you think they're sketchy don't sell it to them.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

PK90 wrote: February 24th, 2019, 3:39 pm I do it for $20. A lot of sellers are afraid to sell to a prohibited person. Transferring it through our books with a background check releases their liability.
I do all my personal sales at AJI for this reason. If someone is not a prohibited possessor, then they don't object.

In today's society, it is good protection against lawsuits, not to mention the potential legal troubles if the guy was prohibited and you were charged with a straw purchase or similar.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Who pays for the background check , The buyer or the seller ?
PK90

Post by PK90 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: February 24th, 2019, 5:48 pm Who pays for the background check , The buyer or the seller ?
it doesn't matter to the dealer. That's determined by the two parties.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

A_C Guy wrote: February 24th, 2019, 5:15 pm
PK90 wrote: February 24th, 2019, 3:39 pm I do it for $20. A lot of sellers are afraid to sell to a prohibited person. Transferring it through our books with a background check releases their liability.
I do all my personal sales at AJI for this reason. If someone is not a prohibited possessor, then they don't object.

In today's society, it is good protection against lawsuits, not to mention the potential legal troubles if the guy was prohibited and you were charged with a straw purchase or similar.
Life's too short to be a member of the "what if?" brigade. You can't live in fear.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

PK90 wrote: February 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: February 24th, 2019, 5:48 pm Who pays for the background check , The buyer or the seller ?
it doesn't matter to the dealer. That's determined by the two parties.
I realize that.
I was just curious , if the buyer wants $400 for a gun that is worth $400 , does he then add another $25 to it or does he pay for it.
So basically if the gun is priced right and the buyer has to pay he ends up paying too much. $400+ $25 = $425 for a $400 gun.
If the seller pays then he looses money. $400 - $25 = $350 for a $400 gun.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

How very California of you all.

CA had to pass laws to force people to do this but here in freedom loving AZ you all want to voluntarily do it
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: February 24th, 2019, 9:24 pm

How very California of you all.

CA had to pass laws to force people to do this but here in freedom loving AZ you all want to voluntarily do it
Can't fix stupid.
RandyTF

Post by RandyTF »

I understand the paranoia of possibly selling to a prohibited possessor but, look at it the way law enforcement has to look at it. Private gun sales don't legally have to go through background checks in Arizona so, if a gun shows up in a crime that you once owned, it gets real tough to prove that you intentionally sold it to a criminal. Even more difficult to connect you with the crime itself without other additional evidence. Yes, the cops will come ask you some questions but, if you don't have a criminal record and you explain how the sale of the gun went down, there is little in the way of evidence that you did anything wrong. It does not automatically involve an arrest.
Flash

Post by Flash »

A_C Guy wrote: February 24th, 2019, 5:15 pm I do all my personal sales at AJI for this reason. If someone is not a prohibited possessor, then they don't object.

I'm not a prohibited possessor. I have an Arizona CCW, a Florida CCW and a Utah CCW and I object strenuously.

I absolutely refuse to submit to this sort of thing on private party sales and would walk away from any deal involving it.