Roller lock platform

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Roller lock platform

Post by delta6 »

knockonit wrote: February 13th, 2019, 7:25 am I was sorting thru some brass yesterday and when i quizzed a gent that was working with me on it, the markings on some of the 9mm, he said it was from an mp5, as it leaves the long straight markings on cases, interesting guess we will see after cleaning and polishing and if they reload ok, or ...................

i would like me some mp 5 though.
Rj
Streaked/carbon lined 9MM cases are from an MP5. Have reloaded 40K plus of those cases and reloaded them multiple times. They are fine, just load 'em and shoot 'em :dance:

Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

shooter444 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 1:21 pm Exactly,... I DIDN'T LIKE IT!!!

But, contrary to many nay-sayer's,... I ACTUALLY OWNED AND SHOT ONE FOR YEARS!!!

I don't give a s*** how many were produced or what the overall reputation is,... I hated the bolt release ergonomic, I hated the trigger, I hated the mag release position / ergonomic, I hated the sights, I hated the scope clamp mount, and I hated the poor balance / weight ergonomics!!!

Basically, I believe there is not much to like with this weapon,... and, that because of that, it is basically a conflict weapon that is put in the hands of those that don't have any say about what they like or dislike,... period!!!

I don't care how many million people like the millions made,... I hated the one I owned and shot.

jmho
Pretty heated response when I posted this in my reply...
"Though whether or not you like the rifle is another matter and obviously your choice."
. You apparently missed the fact that my reply was aimed at your insinuation that the fluted chamber might be something to be concerned about and not about your disliking the rifle.

As to owning one, good for you. I have owned THREE, with TWO currently in my safe.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Anybody else picturing this?
GOM.jpg
GOM.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

XJThrottle wrote: February 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm Anybody else picturing this?GOM.jpg
ROFL, that is funny for sure. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Another point is that military ammo is usually shot once and left to lay... so the flutes don't matter like they do to a re-loader.
I chose the FAL over the G3 when I was looking to build a MBR. ALso IIRC, from what I've read, a roller lock is a lot harder to field strip and get back together without special tools... (not trying to start a which is better thread, just sayin).
As far as brass "quality", I suppose it's a matter of definition - in this case harder must be better and Lapua, Norma and Others liked by bench rest shooters would be at the bottom of the list.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Oh, I don't know,.... REALLY :D ,... if harder brass will not dent like softer brass. I also DON"T KNOW if the denting of the brass isn't an integral function design of this delayed roller lock system. But my guess is,... it is,... therefore, I question any choice of brass to eliminate the dents. I have always felt if I need to reload it, and I don't like the condition of the fired brass, it is time for me to just move on. So, I did.

Personally, I believe it probably the most dependable, proven battle weapon system on earth,... just not my cup of tea!
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

shooter444 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 6:52 am Oh, I don't know,.... REALLY :D ,... if harder brass will not dent like softer brass. I also DON"T KNOW if the denting of the brass isn't an integral function design of this delayed roller lock system. But my guess is,... it is,... therefore, I question any choice of brass to eliminate the dents. I have always felt if I need to reload it, and I don't like the condition of the fired brass, it is time for me to just move on. So, I did.

Personally, I believe it probably the most dependable, proven battle weapon system on earth,... just not my cup of tea!
Well this is what you get when someone that has no real understanding about the design of a rifle tries to sound like they know more then they do. You might want to spend a bit of time over in the HK world at HKPro and get educated. They would get a chuckle at your assertion.

Whether or not the brass deforms into the flutes is solely a function of the relative softness of the brass and NOT a function the rifle depends on for proper functioning. Flutes are for extraction only and have no bearing on how the rifle's action cycles.

As someone that claims to be a reloader your comment above seems strangely ignorant of the fact that not all brass is created equal in the ammunition world.

As I stated, commercial and some lesser foreign mil-surp brass does flow into the flutes while American military rounds and even more telling, German NATO spec ammo does not deform. You can rest assured that if the rifle was designed to require deformation for proper operation that those anal-retentive Germans would have made darn sure their military rounds did just that in their standard issue combat rifle. After all they couldn't afford even the faintest possibility of malfunctions when they were facing off against the Soviet hordes during the Cold War with the fate of free Germany on the line.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Junk the cases. They are s***
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:23 pm
Well this is what you get when someone that has no real understanding about the design of a rifle tries to sound like they know more then they do. You might want to spend a bit of time over in the HK world at HKPro and get educated. They would get a chuckle at your assertion.

Well, I only owned, loaded and shot a PTR91 for about four years,.., I prefer FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE rather than expressing opinions received on a gun site.

Whether or not the brass deforms into the flutes is solely a function of the relative softness of the brass and NOT a function the rifle depends on for proper functioning. Flutes are for extraction only and have no bearing on how the rifle's action cycles.

The above statement is why I have learned not to believe one hypocritical word you write! "EXTRACTION" is a FUNCTION of a RIFLE'S ACTION CYCLE!

As someone that claims to be a reloader your comment above seems strangely ignorant of the fact that not all brass is created equal in the ammunition world.

I have reloaded Remington, Federal/Lake City, Winchester, Hornady, Prvi Partizan, Fiocchi, brass, and a few others I can't remember . All fuctioned perfectly,... and all had flute dented results. Never had a brass case come out undented,... that is my first hand , real life, experience.

As I stated, commercial and some lesser foreign mil-surp brass does flow into the flutes while American military rounds and even more telling, German NATO spec ammo does not deform. You can rest assured that if the rifle was designed to require deformation for proper operation that those anal-retentive Germans would have made darn sure their military rounds did just that in their standard issue combat rifle. After all they couldn't afford even the faintest possibility of malfunctions when they were facing off against the Soviet hordes during the Cold War with the fate of free Germany on the line.

As I posted,...

"shooter444 wrote: ↑February 16th, 2019, 6:52 am
Oh, I don't know,.... REALLY :D ,... if harder brass will not dent like softer brass. I also DON'T KNOW if the denting of the brass isn't an integral function design of this delayed roller lock system. But my guess is,... it is,... therefore, I question any choice of brass to eliminate the dents. I have always felt if I need to reload it, and I don't like the condition of the fired brass, it is time for me to just move on. So, I did.

Personally, I believe it probably the most dependable, proven battle weapon system on earth,... just not my cup of tea!"

..., which contradicts your claim I don't know there are brass of different hardness,... and, until I communicate with a professional HK tech,... all your secondhand claims,... mean absolutely nothing to me.

Have a nice day.