Serial Numbers

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Dr Leaky
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Serial Numbers

Post by Dr Leaky »

In looking around the web I constantly see where a seller blanks out part of a gun's serial number. Is there any reason for doing this? I can't imagine any scams that would be based on a s/n. Thanks.

knockonit

Re: Serial Numbers

Post by knockonit »

just paranoid sellers or photo takers, sure some have a reason, hmmm, wonder what that could be also
Rj
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Big Brother is watching
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Big brother can remove or restore any digitally covered s/n's. So that's useless if done for that reason. If that's why you should cover it before you take a pic.

I've always heard so others wont claim it was theirs or report it stolen but that seems like a high risk game to me. Always blew that idea off.

In today's would you really cant hide much so I dont bother.
Java Junkie
Banned
Banned

Post by Java Junkie »

Just take a picture of the other side of the gun
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Crippledtrigger wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:44 pm Big brother can remove or restore any digitally covered s/n's. So that's useless if done for that reason. If that's why you should cover it before you take a pic.

I've always heard so others wont claim it was theirs or report it stolen but that seems like a high risk game to me. Always blew that idea off.

In today's would you really cant hide much so I dont bother.
I was paranoid at first years ago, thinking of the stolen angle, but I agree here since people think they can actually operate in society in a private fashion these days.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I always figured it was the same people who insisted on getting a bill of sale when doing a private sale.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

It seems to be a common practice and relates to privacy concerns. The "stolen" gun angle makes the most sense- its been around a long time.
There are various ways the scam could be played. If known, the s/n might show up on an official list of some kind sometime in the future- OTOH, if you purchased used, what if it really was stolen15 yrs ago and just now was rediscovered in your photo? There are ways to blank a photo so the obliterated area doesn't reveal the mask-over. Easiest is to use a piece of tape or like said, show the other side.

I heard a story from a guy i know... he obtained 2 gun from different sources and years apart... when he sold them- both came back as being stolen from the same city in the same year (about 15 years prior). Now I find this coincidence to be stretching it a bit, but it could be true, really bad luck or it could be someone in a position of authority manipulated the info to obtain free guns via paper confiscation... you really don't know so why take the chance.