Any 458socom aficionados out there?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Any 458socom aficionados out there?

Post by shooter444 »

I have made comments on my pros and cons, in the past, about getting into BIG BORE AR's. Now I decided to throw caution to the wind :pray: and jump on the 458 SOCOM train!

But,... before I finalize my decision, I would like comments by those 'who know',... to advise me on their point of view about their thoughts on the pros vs cons. I have accessd the archive search, but found no 458 SOCOM specific threads,... so, here I am.

Recommendations on manufacturers would be a great help,... and, since I am thinking of going with a rifle format, with hand loaded heavy bullets at medium velocities,... any pros vs cons concerning gas length systems would be appreciated.

thanks

338lapua

Re: Any 458socom aficionados out there?

Post by 338lapua »

Yeah they work but it really is just a wheel that someone wanted to invent all over again and fix a problem that did not need fixing. Yeah they have knockdown power but then again so does my 5.56, .308. .243 and 22-250 ar variants. Biggest down side to it is the ammo and brass. Brass will run $650 for a thousand cases. Then there are the bullets which are also expensive.

There is also 50 AE that can be had in a AR that will mess some stuff up where brass is under $400 a thousand. 50 Beowulf is another option but brass is expensive. I have seen 460 Rowland in a AR as well and it is nasty and brass is under 300 a thousand. So there are options. Finding once fired for this caliber will be hard, most likely you will have to buy new and I would buy starline.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display. ... icles=2695
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

They are fun to shoot and will kill a pig dead or whatever else you are shooting at. There is the plus of mags marked for that caliber that can also be used in another caliber if there is a ban. Only real downside is ammo price and getting the proper buffer weight but if you buy one built they should have that problem solved already. I got mine from Wilson Combat and it shoots nice especially suppressed and this is where it is really nice. They are expensive.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I bought a bargain basement 450 bushmaster upper from bear creek. Works fine and hasn’t blown my face off after 100 rounds so far. Lol. . Cheap way To get hooked on big bores. Went 450 for cheap factory ammo. They also have cheap 458 socom uppers if you want to try your hand without committing to a much nicer/pricier option.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

Or you could just get a 45/70.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Who chambers an AR barrel in 45-70?
Flash

Post by Flash »

XJThrottle wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:05 pm Who chambers an AR barrel in 45-70?
Nobody I'm aware of, plus the .45-70 is a rimmed cartridge so the magazines are going to be problematic to avoid rim lock.

I've got an 1895 Marlin in .45-70 that I take out when I feel the need to launch an ounce of lead with every pull of the trigger.
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

I have had a .458 SOCOM for quite a few years now and since I cast bullets and reload for it I shoot it quite a bit. It is a fun gun to shoot and it is in the case right next to my Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70.

I don't really have any opinions on the different big bores, I mainly got the .458 SOCOM because I already made .458" bullets (both cast and jacketed) and so the SOCOM was an easy choice for me. Any of the big bores can be expensive (specific brass and big bullets = $) to shoot so I went the easy route with one that already uses bullets that I make.

In the pic below you can see the two primary cast bullets I shoot in my SOCOM. on the left is a 360 gr PC coated with a gas check that is my standard plinking bullet. The crimp groove in the bullet is placed for use in the 45-70 and this shoots great in that also. On the right is a 500 gr. spire point cast bullet that I use for shooting subsonic in the SOCOM. PC'd with no need for gas check because I am shooting it slow. I shoot lots of both of these as my go to bullets that are easy to make and cheap to shoot.
PC 458 SOCOM.web.jpg
In this pic you can see the JHP bullets I make using cut down .308 brass as the jackets. The one in the pic is a 405 gr. JHP with a cannelure in the proper place and then one in a loaded round.
458 405 jhp.jpg
This is a 300 gr. JHP made from a .45 ACP case as the jacket
458 300 jhp.jpg
428cj

Post by 428cj »

XJThrottle wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:05 pm Who chambers an AR barrel in 45-70?
Just get a 45/70 rifle. Brass is east to get and rifle works great.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I don't have any interest in one. The OP said he was gonna build an AR, and you suggested to get a 45-70. No 45-70 in AR, then it doesn't fit the OP's intents.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

XJThrottle wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 6:18 pm I don't have any interest in one. The OP said he was gonna build an AR, and you suggested to get a 45-70. No 45-70 in AR, then it doesn't fit the OP's intents.

Thanks, XJThrottle,.. but, actually I haven't committed to a build, or a complete upper, yet,... hence the original questions about " Recommendations on manufacturers would be a great help ".
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

I am using a stock Rock River Arms 16" upper and it works great. If you are building I would only recommend Tromix barrels and bolts.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Intel6 wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:28 am I am using a stock Rock River Arms 16" upper and it works great. If you are building I would only recommend Tromix barrels and bolts.

Thanks Intel6, my research has resulted in confirming your opinion,... Tromix and Rock River have great and very good reputations, respectively.

I see you use both a speer point type cast bullets and a more traditional fat 458Socom profile,... have you noticed any feeding differences?

Also, I see you powder coat,... have you noticed any gas port difficulties at different velocities?

Lastly,... I have read that standard AR mags work with the 458Socom,... have you had any problems?

thanks
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

shooter444,

Yes, I got the RRA before all the "new comers" and was lucky because I haven't had any issues with it. If I was doing it now I would just go Tromix and build my own.

I don't have any issues with the profiles, I have even used LBT style that are more blunt without any issues. The only problems you can run into is trying to seat them out longer and having the bullet engage the rifiling and not chamber fully. Then you have to seat them deeper.

As far as the gas port with the AR I have not had issues at all. For the faster/lighter bullets I always use gas checks which keeps things clean. With the heavy stuff they are not going very fast and are lower pressure so the PC works good without gas checks.

Yes, most AR15 mags work but some of the polymer ones (magpuls) have ribs and stuff moulded into the interior of them that can cause problems. The easiest is to use standard GI type mags but I have found the Lancer mags are great and now use them exclusively in my SOCOM.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Second on lancers. I don’t like them for my 5.56 rifles but they work great in my 450