Selling Guns & Ammo?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Tacticalplinker
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Selling Guns & Ammo?

Post by Tacticalplinker »

Last edited by Tacticalplinker on October 14th, 2019, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

shooter444

Re: Selling Guns & Ammo?

Post by shooter444 »

I think the "market", has sucked for a long time, and NOW, during the coming holiday, ... it sucks even worse.

As for retail establishments offering near "market" value,... that has never been!
Retailers can't buy at near "market value" and then turn it over for a needed profit margin,... been this way,... since,... forever!

Unless one offers their weapons at give away prices, imo,... it takes a very long time to move it!
Last edited by shooter444 on December 18th, 2018, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

To sell locally I have had the best responses with Armslist.
If it is a high dollar gun I sell it on Gunbroker.
I have had no problems with either site.
Razai

Post by Razai »

Agreed. Armslist is an excellent site with a massive audience. I am typically able to move just about anything on AZS, too, though as has been stated Dec is a slow month.
Tacticalplinker

Post by Tacticalplinker »

Last edited by Tacticalplinker on October 14th, 2019, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

shooter444 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 5:13 pm I think the "market", has sucked for a long time, and NOW, during the coming holiday, ... it sucks even worse.

As for retail establishments not offering near "market" value,... that has never been!
Retailers can't buy at near "market value" and then turn it over for a needed profit margin,... been this way,... since,... forever!

Unless one offers their weapons at give away prices, imo,... it takes a very long time to move it!
I think this is it in a nutshell...
Combined with the fact that many try to sell their used guns for new prices...
It used to be a reasonable profit for a retail shop was 15-20% but it don't think that has been the case for some time. I also seem to remember that a used gun typically brought 2/3 of new price unless something special or the right buyer was found.
Now it seems to take 6-9mo to get a fair price. Most of my past selling has been FTF at gun shows but that seems to be drying up fast.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Another vote for Armslist.
As I currently have a job in the industry, I can second what some have said, with a few details.
Standard retail firearm markup is 20%, this price can be justified by people (on a walk in basis) looking for guidance, or are brand new to the area to which they are interested in (Comp, SD, hunting.) In my opinion, people like "us" who have been around a while who are "in the know," or have done their research, can pay about 10-15% less.
My LGS, who is not my employer (shh,) says he does about 5 transfers for every 1 gun he sells. Surprising to me, my employee pricing on guns can't even touch what I can get everything for on the internet. With every new gun purchase I make, I go to my LGS, and see if he can match that price. about half the time he can, and strictly for the fact that he tries, when he can come $30 or so over my internet price, I will go with him, mainly for the invaluable knowledge and different perspectives that I gain from him. Only once on a new PMR30, he said "those are made in volume in big batches, and not very often" and he couldn't even find one from any of his distributors.
This tells me that once again the hi volume "internet warehouses" are killing the brick and mortar gun shops. My employer sees it mainly as a labor issue; the "internetters" can shove the costs of paperwork and background checks onto the FFL, so I would assume that the shops love it when you come in with a carry permit.
As far as used goes, I think it's a trade off that you have to judge what's right for you.
We pay 50-60% of current book value, depending on how much money will be offered, and how long that amount will be tied up sitting on the shelf. The book is about twice the size of a bible, so it's pretty extensive. The upside is that you have cash in your hand that day, and the down side is that it's not nearly what you could get in a private sale.
Conversely, private sales have a cost associated with them, like gas and travel time. Then there's always the unknown people to deal with, but personally, I think there's a certain way someone talks who knows guns. If I'm responding or being responded to in an ad, there's keywords that may increase my comfort level. It took me a while, but I learned that people who offer $300 for a LNIB G17, don't know the real value, and probably are sketchy to begin with. If you don't want to be ignored, at least counter with $400, and depending on how desperate I am, we can dicker.
underw0rld

Post by underw0rld »

Market is pretty saturated right now. Plenty of AR 'Frankenrifles' for 4-$500 bucks. AR lowers that would go for $200 bucks under Odumbo are $35 now. If you have something that is desirable like a 'like new' Python, 1941 Johnson, semi MA Deuce those would go pretty quick. It's a buyers market so far under Trump. One day, but hopefully not, Libtards will once again make it a sellers market
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,... lowers at $35,... sign me up, I'll take a dozen!!! 8-)
underw0rld

Post by underw0rld »

You missed the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. but here are Palmetto's for $39 https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar- ... -1728.html
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Thanks for the link,... good price, indeed.

But, in my AR world, "lowers" and "stripped lowers" are two different animals. :greetings-wavegreen:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Who honestly thinks they are getting a new lower with LPK for $40 from a gun store?

Not somebody with an IQ higher than a resting heartbeat.